Case split?

Jager1

Beginner
Sep 23, 2010
I was at the range the other day trying out some factory loaded 150 gr. E-tips by Winchester
for my 300 WSM. Fired 6 rounds with poor results. Upon inspecting the fired cases I noticed
all six had split down to the shoulder. What gives? To high of presure?

Jager1

I'd be inclined to think that there is a problem with your chamber. I'd certainly rule that out before I shot it again. It is possible that the ammunition is not to spec. I have had that happen a few times with factory ammunition in several 300 WSMs. The manufacturer (unnamed) had charged them pretty hot for a couple of lots. That was a couple of years ago. However, the greater danger in my mind would be that the chamber is out of specs (headspace, marred, etc.).

DrMike":12a60h0b said:
I'd be inclined to think that there is a problem with your chamber. I'd certainly rule that out before I shot it again. It is possible that the ammunition is not to spec. I have had that happen a few times with factory ammunition in several 300 WSMs. The manufacturer (unnamed) had charged them pretty hot for a couple of lots. That was a couple of years ago. However, the greater danger in my mind would be that the chamber is out of specs (headspace, marred, etc.).

+1 for bad headspace, is it a new gun or have you been shooting it for awhile?

I was also using other factory loads and some of my own reloads that day and they didn't split. Just the factory E-tip stuff split thats why I think its just loaded to hot.
I don't think its an out of spec chamber. Although this is the second Sako I've had the first was a 75 that the factory took back and replaced it with this one witch is an 85. I don't think its the rifle though.

Thanks,
Jager1

Contact Winchester and tell them what you observed. They would no doubt be interested in inspecting the ammunition to verify that it received the right charge, that it was the right case, etc.

Is it nickel brass? Annealing issues combined with nickel plating might do what you observed.

Yes it is nickel brass and so was one of the other loads(XP3) I was trying that day.

Well I've got 40 nickel cases for my 30-06 to load up later. I'll be using 168 gr. Win.Silvertips with Remington nickel brass. I hope they won't split. I'm not going to buy anymore nickel brass to load. I've got some Hornady 7mmRem.Mag 154grain that I've had for about 10 years and my son tried to shoot them in his Winchester rifle and had a few of the cases split on him. I've still got some of those bullets that I'm not going to shoot. I need to dig a hole and bury them.

7mm's Forever and a 30 cal. will "Slam Dunk Um"

I would contact Winchester. Does this happen with other factory ammunition?

JD338

This E-tip factory load is the only factory load that has had this problem.
Will shooting these do harm to my rifle?

Does anyone know if Nosler is running a NRA special on the 48 custom also?
Really would like pickup a 270 wsm.

Thanks Guys,
Jager1

I would not shoot them that is a sign of a problem. I would think that the split also allows some pretty hot gases into the chamber which may eventually not be the best for the rifle.

I would be on the phone with Winchester, something seems odd with it. Hard to believe the rifle is non functional if it shoots other loads without issues. Could just be a bad lot of ammo.. I would be Winchester will make it right. Scotty

I had the same problem with winchester supreme 160 partitions. After noticing the split necks i checked the rest of the shells. Out of 2 boxes 16 shells had split necks from the factory.

Back