Case Trimming Problem Issue??

nosler06

Handloader
Nov 13, 2012
Last night I was prepping some .308 brass and have found a large ring of brass around the neck of the case after trimming. I am wondering if there is a problem. I am having to aggressively de-burr the case mouth after trimming to remove this lip around the outside of the neck. I am wondering if maybe I am pushing too hard while trimming or is the cutter head dull? I also wonder how many cases can be trimmed with one cutter head before it needs to be replaced. I have only trimmed approximately 250-300 cases with it so far. Thinking I should get more trims out of a cutter head than that. Any thoughts?

What you describe to me sounds very normal. It even sounds like a prefered action while trimming. If you are getting a smooth cut that's all that's important. As you trim more you'll probably also see and get a feel for how hardened necks trim verses softer more annealed trim. For me federal and Norma are the smoothest during trimming. I would say don't worry unless you are getting chattering and rough "saw rip" appearance.

G'Day Fella's,

Nosler06, you will always have some amount of case brass there, after trimming.
As you have already stated, the cutter may be dull?
Now unless you have trimmed a couple of Million cases, this normally shouldn't be a problem, as brass is quite soft as metals go.
The other thing I do that maybe of some assistance, is I initially start the cut with some amount of force on the cutter but when approaching the final length, I reduce this force to almost nil!
The Lathe equivalent explanation of this is, A Roughing cut, followed by a Finishing cut.
What then happens when I start de-burring, is there is a weak spot created by this almost nil force that I applied to the cutter and the ring of brass falls off intact!

Further to this, can I please inquire into the brand of trimmer you are using?

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

I have a RCBS case trimmer pro model. Like I said I may have trimmed 250-300 cases with it. I am wondering if my de-burring tool might be getting dull as well. That tool I know has trimed thousands of cases being 40 yrs old. Inside neck de-burring is a dream with it but outside is a pain in the - well you know what.

Back