Cast Bullet Loads for Whelen

ColColt

Handloader
Apr 27, 2014
I don't think I've asked this before but with what all has been going on around here it's possible. I have a Rem 700 classic 35 Whelen and the mould I ordered to shoot some cast bullets came during my stay in the hospital. It's an Accurate Moulds mould with two different weights, one a 210 gr bullet(gas check) and the other side a 245 gr bullet(gas check also).

Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook only gives powder data for a 204 gr bullet. I have RL15, 4350, IMR4064, Varget, etc. and figured one of those could be used but don't have an idea where to start/stop as for powder charges.

Hodgdon's online data use to have powder and charges for lead bullets but no more so I can't go there. Any ideas as to where I can find some start/max type loads with those weigh bullets and powder?

I've loaded for cartridge rifles before with jacketed bullets but not with cast bullets. I've had mostly BPCR's like the 40-70SS and 45-70 but have used black powder to load them that's why I wasn't sure where to go for data for the Whelen and cast bullets.

Speer's manual list a start charge of 50 gr of RL15 for their 250 gr bullet. Is that a safe indication I can use that load for the 245 gr cast bullet?

Back