change of neck tension

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
Since a couple of my rifles shoots like a dream, before I SS tumbled, and have been using the vibratory tumbler and have seen some carbon on the inside of necks before I seated them. Now after SS tumbling, there is no carbon on inside of the necks at all, will it affect accuracy? Will it affect bullet tension? Wondering before I load 100 rounds for each rifle.

I don't know since I I don't use SS pins but since you must have loaded virgin brass that the neck is clean did it have an effect on the tension or accuracy of your loads?

I know a few guys who put carbon in the necks after tumbling using Redding's Imperial Applicator Media. So if you have it on hand that is a quick way to get some peace of mind.

I can't say for sure, but it is very possible for the lack of carbon to affect neck tension as well as to not have a noticeable affect. I think carbon in the necks affects smaller calibers more than larger calibers or cartridges with longer necks, low neck tension and or neck turned brass will be more susceptible. I personally wouldn't be very concerned in a 30-06, factory chambered rifle and unturned brass. 6mm BR, neck turned brass and custom barrel is a whole other animal.

Only way to know for sure is to do a small sample run and shoot / test them... You probably don't have the equipment to test outside of shooting them, but I have seen something like a strain gauge that was setup on a press to see how much force it took to seat bullets and pull them with a collet. I'm not sure the guy ever got consistent numbers.

Edited, Truck Driver makes a very good point.

truck driver":2cbnirb3 said:
I don't know since I I don't use SS pins but since you must have loaded virgin brass that the neck is clean did it have an effect on the tension or accuracy of your loads?

I did not find the shoot lights out load with the virgin brass, it was after about 2 firings until I found a load. I guess I need to do a sample first.

Interesting question. The sizing ball should make the inside dimension the same regardless if there is carbon or not, but the surface may or may not be slipperier. I usually dip cases in mica before sizing, but never gave it much thought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TackDriver284":3ucombp5 said:
truck driver":3ucombp5 said:

I did not find the shoot lights out load with the virgin brass, it was after about 2 firings until I found a load. I guess I need to do a sample first.
I never really was concerned with neck tension except for with my pistol ammo in my target pistol till I came here and started to learn how to reload again after almost 50 years of doing it. I always followed the reloading guides never varied from the printed word at least not for rifles and pistol ammo was a different story since target shooting with hand guns was my main game and the rifles were just for hunting and still are but I found I wanted to improve my hunting ammo or try.
I never cleaned my brass till I started shooting pistol competition and started seeing every ones bright shinny brass and was embarrassed and had lots of feeding malfunctions so I bought a Dillon brass cleaner and cleaned my brass.
I use to hand clean the primer pockets of my pistol ammo till I got a progressive press and found it didn't make any difference with pistol ammo. The carbon build up in the primer pockets created it's on base so the primers seated the same all the time. I do clean the rifle primer pockets and that was because I read the carbon would erode the barrels and that made since to me because carbon is very abrasive.
Now DrMike has me uniforming my primer pockets.
Somewhere along the trip I noticed grit inside the case mouth of my rifle brass so I would run a bore brush inside to clean it out ( carbon ) I also had a problem with stretching the case necks during sizing since the expander ball didn't want to pass threw the necks with out a lot of effort after sizing (carbon build up ). I was shaving bullets when seating them and had a ring of jacket metal on the case mouth. Read where I needed to chamfer my case mouths so I did and relieved that problem.
Still had problems with the expander ball so I lubed the inside of the case necks with dry moly lube ( end of problem ) I find myself dry lubing the insides of virgin brass when I run them threw the full length sizing die also so there is no neck stretch or bending the neck since the tension on the expander ball would cause the case to get out of line coming out of the die. I don't just neck size but I have thought about it and have come close to buying a Lee collet die more then once.
By now your saying what has all this to do with neck tension.
Not being the brightest light bulb it's my way of explaining how for ever action there is a reaction.
I don't turn my necks because I'm lazy and want to try and keep things less complicated since I have already complicated things more then I wanted to.
When you remove metal you have to do something to make up for the loss which means fancy dies or crimping the case mouth to get the same tension needed to hold the bullet in the case.
More then once the guys here have told me I'm over thinking and I back off and look at what I use to do and what I am thinking of doing or doing that caused the problem if there ever was one.
Okay I'll stop rambling since that is what it seems like I'm doing.

Back