Check out my latest hunting pistol-scored this evening

reflex264

Handloader
Jun 13, 2007
I am going to carry this one to kill a whitetail. Glock 21SF .45 ACP. It is shooting 185grs 1200fps from the 6" barrel. It has a trigger job and a 3.5 connector so it doesn't feel so much like a cap gun. Capible of shooting under 1" at 25 yards. We shot it side by side into the ballistic buff but with a colder load than I have now and it only penetrated 2" less than a 210gr from a .41 mag and left a very large wound channel. Here are the bullets as well from that test. reflex264

glock.jpg

185nosler.jpg

I have killed a few deer with a 45 ACP mainly with 200 gr lead SWC loaded to 1000 fps with Unique. Is that a 185 Hornady XTP bullet you are using? 185 HP's might be too light to try a shoulder shot so stay with broad side behind the shoulder lung heart shots and keep them inside 50 yards. One thing about pistol hunting is they don't have the shock power of a high velocity rifle round that disrupts the central nervous system and drop the deer with shock. Thus deer will run off a ways before they die from blood loss or no oxygen to the brain because their lungs are gone. If you don't have a bullet that exits you usually don't have much of a blood trial to follow. That is one of the reasons that I like to use a harder cast SWC bullet or a good heavy that holds together expanding bullet like the XTP or Gold Dot. I like to shoot deer in the front shoulders because when you hit the shoulder bone it does shock the deer more than a behind the shoulder shot and will usually knock them off their feet and they will die before they can regain their footing. I took one deer with the 230 XTP pushed to 900 fps with Unique and it really did the job. Through both shoulders, bang flop. All shots were inside 50 yards and on deer that weight was 80 to 160 pounds average on the hoof. Just something to be aware of from the school of been there and done that. Good luck on your hunt. Deer hunting with a pistol is a ball.

The barrel is made by Storm Lake. Very good craftsmanship.

Shot a nice fat doe this evening with the 21SF .45. She was 20 yards from my tree. She traveled 10 yards and piled up. The load was a 185gr Nosler at 1200fpr from the 6" Storm Lake barrel. Fun Hunt!!! reflex264

pics later

Congratulation to you. That will sure be some good eating. I am glad everything worked well for you.

Congratulations on a fat doe. Where did you hit her? I must say that I envy the opportunity to hunt with handguns. It looks as if it would be a great deal of fun.

I would love the chance to hunt with a handgun.

Very nice doe and that is impressive with a Glock.

I forgot to get back on this one. She was hit with a quartering shot entering at the front edge of the liver and hitting the back edge of the left lung it ripped the right lung apart. The bullet stopped under the skin. reflex264

Pop I have been busy of late, sorry for late posting. The load was a 185 Nosler traveling 1250 from the 6" barrel. I will go back and look up the powder charge. reflex264

Back