choosing which rifle to hunt with

It depends on what I'm hunting. Deer or similar size game,something in the .25 caliber to 30 caliber range. Elk,something in the 270 caliber up to .375 caliber,depending on my mood.

Big Game
6mm Rem Remington 700 BDL for Antelope & Deer
.264 Win Mag. Model 70 XTR for Antelope & Deer
300 H & H Model 70 prewar for Elk and Bear.

Now what to take my last trip was to South Dakota Whitetail Deer hunting last year the 300 H & H went because I had not carried it in a few years.
We will see what tags I draw for next year but if it's Deer I most likely will take my 6mm Rem because I would like to try these 95gr Nosler BT I bought. See how they perform.

I almost took my 6.5 creedmore when I went elk hunting the other day. Glad I didn't, I just don't know her well enough for a long shot. For opening day deer or Elk it's either my 06 or the 338. I've had the 06 for about 50 years. The Jarrett, maybe 15 years now. I have a good relationship with both rifles. The Jarrett now wears a synthetic stock after cracking the wood one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

salmonchaser":2johwa5l said:
I almost took my 6.5 creedmore when I went elk hunting the other day. Glad I didn't, I just don't know her well enough for a long shot. For opening day deer or Elk it's either my 06 or the 338. I've had the 06 for about 50 years. The Jarrett, maybe 15 years now. I have a good relationship with both rifles. The Jarrett now wears a synthetic stock after cracking the wood one.

Tell Me more about this 338 Jarrett.

I like that line of thinking about a real lightweight rifle and a 2/8 power scope, And that 7/08 we had in here
last winter really impressed me when I watched it thru our chronograph! Got a friend that has two Tikka T3s, One is in 7/08 and he has that Leupold "Ultralight" 2x7 scope on it, (8 oz) So its way under 7 lbs scoped! (6 lbs 11 oz from memory)
He had a Model 700 @ 9 1/2 lbs, in 7mm RM, for the last 40 years, but after shooting a couple of big bucks, one Moose, and a 300lb Black Bear, with his 7/08 the last couple of seasons; he gave the model 700 magnum, to his nephew, this deer season. He thinks the 7/08 is perfect for everything he does, and I bet you will too! Everything he has fired at so far has dropped in its tracks, so he is pretty impressed with the caliber! Claims he did a lot more wandering around now that he owns a gun that's 3 lbs lighter!

hseII":205o5xqs said:
salmonchaser":205o5xqs said:

She started life as an 8mm Remington. The only bullet that rifle shot well was the 220 grain Hornady, kicked like hell.
When Hornady quit making that bullet I started looking for options.
The 338 Jarrett is based on an improved 8mm Remington case.
Advertised velocity is 2950 with a 250 grain Partition. I've hit 3,000 but accuracy suffered. My go to load with H1000 is a 250 gr AccuBond at 2925. IMG_1747.JPG
Accuracy is pretty good, three shots at 200 yards.

If deer hunting I go for my 700 in 7-08. Nostalgia keeps me thinking about bringing the 06 out but weight considerations (6lbs, for the 7-08 and 8lbs for the 06) makes the choice easy. Elk hunting is covered by the 700 in .338RUM or my new Christensen Arms in .300WM. As you get older the rifles seem to gain weight and that is definitely a serious consideration.

salmonchaser":2qk9bezf said:
hseII":2qk9bezf said:
salmonchaser":2qk9bezf said:

She started life as an 8mm Remington. The only bullet that rifle shot well was the 220 grain Hornady, kicked like hell.
When Hornady quit making that bullet I started looking for options.
The 338 Jarrett is based on an improved 8mm Remington case.
Advertised velocity is 2950 with a 250 grain Partition. I've hit 3,000 but accuracy suffered. My go to load with H1000 is a 250 gr AccuBond at 2925.
Accuracy is pretty good, three shots at 200 yards.

That looks horrible Don.. Do you really hunt with a rifle that will only shoot like that? :mrgreen:

salmonchaser":2wl04240 said:
I know, right. You'd think a guy would work on his loads a little.

You should ask Bill to help out, he really likes to tweak loads :lol:

I know, it's an old guy thing. Take a rifle that's killed elk every time you've pulled the trigger for 15 or 20 years and screw with it. Just because.
I'll call Bill

Back