Chrony's?

Idaho_Elk_Huntr

Beginner
Feb 5, 2009
OK, yesterday I went to the shop to find out my oehler 35 was on the hit list when I got broken into. Yep Im still finding things I didnt know they took. They dont make em anymore so what would be a good choice in a new Chrony? CED is what comes up the most in a google search. Anyone use one??

I have an Oehler 35. If were going to get a new one, I would get the Mellenium CED.

JD338

Just bought CED 2 and have only used it once, so far I am impressed. I do have the IR screens and they do help. The sun reached a position where the regular screens gave me a couple of error readings and I installed the IR screens and got no more errors. The IR screens are powered by 12V. Which means you can either buy there battery and charger or you can make up a cord to use a 12V battery. I have done both. I also bought there bag and wish it was larger. Everything fits but it is tight, with no room for much else. I wish I could get my record book in there along with just a couple of other items. I do have a couple of more projects to work on but am not there yet. I guess it depends on how much you want to spend. Right now if I was going to get one I would want to be able to have the IR option.
I am sorry to here of your loss. It is most infuriating to have tools you rely on to fail or be missing. I guess in these times we will see more of this.

Chrony beta master.

Never a problem for years now.

I don't care what kind you get just DON"T SHOOT IT! Mine has a few battle scars, and the display misses a few bars on the numbers here and there. I'm looking at a newer one soon as well.

And I won't be letting my friends shoot throught it :x

jmad_81":1on4q0kl said:
I don't care what kind you get just DON"T SHOOT IT! Mine has a few battle scars, and the display misses a few bars on the numbers here and there. I'm looking at a newer one soon as well.

And I won't be letting my friends shoot throught it :x

This is the primary reason I bought the PACT chrono. The display/electronics (expensive part) is separate from the sky screens.

Same deal on the Master series from Chrony, Rich. I like my PACT Professional, which I bought first, but when I won a Beta Master Chrony a couple of years later, well, after doing some 'piggyback' style testing (I ziptied the BMC onto the bar for the PACT skyscreens to get readings to compare), the PACT just almost never gets out of the case anymore. The BMC is so easy to setup, use, and deal with, that I hate toting that giant case around with all the crap in it for the PACT. I do wish the display screen on the BMC weighed more - when I have it stretched out, the weight of the cord tries to pull it off the bench. Maybe I should get a longer cord?

Anyway, POP's right - spend $130 on the Beta Master Chrony, and you'll never look back. If you need a bunch of statistical analysis, use Excel. I'll be more than happy to share a blank version of my worksheet for load development. Somebody on here got a copy of it a while back. Never did hear how it worked for them. Hope they liked it. It was worth what they paid for it, at least.

dubyam":3vcvnoab said:
Same deal on the Master series from Chrony, Rich. I like my PACT Professional, which I bought first, but when I won a Beta Master Chrony a couple of years later, well, after doing some 'piggyback' style testing (I ziptied the BMC onto the bar for the PACT skyscreens to get readings to compare), the PACT just almost never gets out of the case anymore. The BMC is so easy to setup, use, and deal with, that I hate toting that giant case around with all the crap in it for the PACT. I do wish the display screen on the BMC weighed more - when I have it stretched out, the weight of the cord tries to pull it off the bench. Maybe I should get a longer cord?

Anyway, POP's right - spend $130 on the Beta Master Chrony, and you'll never look back. If you need a bunch of statistical analysis, use Excel. I'll be more than happy to share a blank version of my worksheet for load development. Somebody on here got a copy of it a while back. Never did hear how it worked for them. Hope they liked it. It was worth what they paid for it, at least.

+1
Dubyam,
I was the one who recieved your Excel program and love it.
In my defense.... I did post a few comments about it a while back.
I store all my load data in it and feel lost if I don't take my lap top to the range.

My first chronograph was the Beta Chrony that my wife bought me. I sold it and bought me a Pact Professional. Very accurate and seldom show errors unlike my Beta Chrony.

I had an alpha Chrony, which I sold. Then, I bought a Beta Master Chrony. I am very pleased with the performance, having checked it out against an Oehler 35. It compared very well, indeed. I have no doubt that I would have been pleased with any of the newer chronographs that are now on the market. We do live at a great moment in history when velocities are relatively easy to determine. No more calibrating, clipping the wire, or interpreting from data sheets. Almost anyone who shoots is able to determine velocity. It is a great time to be a shooter.

I had a 35P . A fine machine but I do not miss it.

That really wasn't meant to be a dig at you, Old #7. I just couldn't remember who had it, and I didn't recall if you liked it or not. I'm glad you do. I'm working on some interesting pivot tables to analyze the data. I'll send you the update if/when I get them perfected. It should be useful if you have a lot of data.

My bad for not noticing and acknowledging your comments about the original sheet. Sorry.

dubyam":2l735w2x said:
That really wasn't meant to be a dig at you, Old #7. I just couldn't remember who had it, and I didn't recall if you liked it or not. I'm glad you do. I'm working on some interesting pivot tables to analyze the data. I'll send you the update if/when I get them perfected. It should be useful if you have a lot of data.

My bad for not noticing and acknowledging your comments about the original sheet. Sorry.

I wasn't put out at all.
Don't worry about it

Back