Classic dies for a Classic Cartridge

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
v8jpYsxh.jpg

Had some fun recently, cleaning up this set of 1968 RCBS dies and using them to load 100 rounds of 30-30 ammo.

Link to the written article & short video:

Regards, Guy

I wish I could find some 30-30 bullets, I picked up some brass from SPS.

A couple of months ago I had no trouble buying Hornady 150's from MidSouth - but ya - as hunting seasons have gotten closer... :(

It's been a couple of years now of scarce components. Rough on shooters & handloaders.

Guy

Yeah, I have a few vintage dies that are still used. They do work, don't they.

Yes they do Mike. I like new stuff as much as anyone, but it's satisfying to use the old gear from quite a while ago. Reloading tools, like rifles, can last a very long time if given just a bit of care.

Guy

Nice write up Guy, that vintage packaging and dies is a masterpiece that a collector would keep. Good to see that 54 year old die keeps on ticking. I have seen some surface rust inside a few old dies that haven't been used in a while and cleaning them up a bit is a need to preserve the smoothness of running the brass through them. I had a die that had some rust on the inside, some Kroil and very fine steel wool wrapped around a chamber mop and lightly spun with a drill would clean them up nicely.

As always very well done video.
It took awhile to find , but now I load all my Weatherby cartridges (except the 30-378 & 416 too new) with vintage Weatherby dies.
Their dies are top notch.

I wish I could find some 30-30 bullets, I picked up some brass from SPS.
If you're looking for 150gr, I ran a quick search for "Hornady 3035" and the first three websites that populated the search results all show those in stock.
MidSouth, SSM-Ammo, Grafs, ever regional retailers such as Scheel's have them in stock.

Nice old dies, and you're right, goes with a classic cartridge. Can't go wrong having either around. (y)

Will come back to this when I get some pics.... I ruined Dads original set of 7Mag dies from Herters. Mistakenly tried to Load a range pick up 7mm RUM in a 7MM rem Mag die. :mad: Dad threw em' out and bought a new set of RCBS's instead. Should have double checked the brass before I gave it to him. Believe he had 30-30 and 30-06 as well. CL

Back