Combinations Hard To find

McRedimus

Beginner
Sep 7, 2020
I have a few reloading manuals that have load data on many bullets and powders, but with shelves almost bare I was not able to make any bullet/powder combinations that are in any of the manuals. I found some Nosler .224 50gr ballistic tip bullets, and Alliant AR-Comp powder. I am a bit weary of "trying" a load based on similar loads minus "x" but Alliant has an "Amax 52gr" at 25.3gr of powder. Instead of starting low and working up, I was wondering if anyone had load data for the Nosler 50gr ballistic tip with AR-Comp powder.

From load data

Warning! Notes: The .223 Remington barrel is 16.1 inches. (Handloader #276 - Feb, 2012)
Be Alert: Publisher cannot be responsible for errors in published load data.
Wt. Bullet Powder Manufacturer Powder Charge Velocity (FPS)
50 Alliant AR-Comp 25.2 2918
Remarks:

what is your barrel length
OOPS!
I can give you QL run but I know nothing about the powder.

So if I understand correctly, you are unwilling to try a similar bullet and work up, but willing to try print or internet data starting at full on max??!! NO. The first approach you eluded to, trying a similar bullet and working up is the correct one. Cross reference with your bullet and similar powder listed for your bullet and the 52 gr example such as 4064 or Varget to see if the numbers make sense.

Polaris":u3atb998 said:
So if I understand correctly, you are unwilling to try a similar bullet and work up, but willing to try print or internet data starting at full on max??!! NO. The first approach you eluded to, trying a similar bullet and working up is the correct one. Cross reference with your bullet and similar powder listed for your bullet and the 52 gr example such as 4064 or Varget to see if the numbers make sense.

Cross reference...isn't that trying print data? Just curious

flyingagg":c6ayss51 said:
Polaris":c6ayss51 said:

Cross reference...isn't that trying print data? Just curious

That is referencing various similar combinations looking for trends to see if you are on the right path. Very different from jumping off the board when the water's depth is unknown.

Polaris":wtcpnh2a said:

Thats not what I was trying to say. I am willing to try with load data for a similar bullet start small and work up, but I was checking to see if anyone already had load date for that combination since I can not find any powder locally that had the data for that specific bullet. And no intention of starting at max load. I did find the bullets on line that AR-Comp had in their load data chart and they are on the way.

If it were me and I had no other data to go buy, I would start with a QL run.
The I would start loading lower loads and work my way up. You already have one point or reference, 25.2 I would start much lower than that

Back