Competition Rifle (What to buy???)

Mike Fontaine

Beginner
Feb 28, 2006
Hi Guys!
I've been shooting in a bunch of mini matches at my local range, mostly bench rest and some 200yrd offhand shooting. I've been using my tricked out FN (in 308) for the bench rest shooting and my (Rem 700) for offhand shooting. I recently joined a new club that hosts multiple "real" High Power Rifle Competitions throughout the year. I can't decide whether to invest (time and money) in the "service rifle" or "match rifle" division. I've talked to several competitors and have, as you would expect, all have different opinions. I'm sure I would enjoy both but I would like to make a commitment to one for now. I would expect a service rifle would be much lest expensive than the match rifle. Questions:

1. Does using a match barrel on a M1A make it a match rifle?
2. What would be a good choice for a match rifle. Does anyone use the REM 700 in High Power? I should not that I hate the AR type rifle feel.
3. As far a service rifles go, is the M1A a better choice for high power competition because of the 308 vs 223?

Any help would be appreciated and I apologize for my ignorance. :oops:
Mike

Mike,

If you have had a good look at the matches in your area then I would select a rifle best suited to win some particular event.

Now that is what I would do as I had a burning desire to win. Many others who did not win first place seemed to also have a good time and showed up for each match so people vary.

I go back to the 1950's on this and after using service rifles and then a nice M70 I got a Remington 40X in 6mm Intl. as we shot at 200 yds like you do and it seemed optimum and it was and still may be for slow fire.

I suggest that you call Mo DeFino at Master Class Sports Incorporated
(203) 775-1013
166 Pocono Rd, Brookfield, CT 06804

Mo will answer your questions and steer you in the right direction.

Here is my 40X with a scope on it for testing. All matches are shot with irons.

6mmintlf9b31a0a4lx.jpg

For across-the-course competition - you've hit on the big choice: service rifle or match rifle. Both are fun and challenging - same course of fire for each.

20 rounds slow fire standing at 200 yards
10/20 rounds rapid fire sitting at 200 yards
10/20 rounds rapid fire prone at 300 yards
20 rounds slow fire prone at 600 yards

I compete in the match rifle catagory with my Model 70, and love working the big bolt gun. My club seems to mostly shoot prone matches, but we do a few across-the-course matches and I have no trouble keeping up with, or beating, the AR-15 guys on the 10-shot rapid fire strings. Stripper clips are fun! :grin: My rifle was built by Jim Cloward here in Washington, and it's pretty old-school, like Savage99's Remington. Mine is set up to do either across-the-course matches or long-range prone matches. These days the Tubb 2000, built and sold by McMillan, is the hot ticket - and expensive. But it's a good rifle. Remington builds versions of their famous 40X for NRA competition. Might not be a bad place to start if you want a rifle that's factory built. Otto Weber is a name you should get familiar with for parts and Creedmoor sports is another great source of highpower shooting gear.

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/store/home.php

http://www.okweber.com/index.asp

http://www.zediker.com/
Zediker publishing is a great source of info on things highpower. Check out the books by David Tubb. Awesome amount of info avail.

http://www.jarheadtop.com/
Also, retired MSgt James Owens is a huge source of info and tools for highpower shooting.

matchrifle1.jpg

My Model 70 match rifle: Cloward built stock, Krieger 30" Palma barrel, Medesha two-stage trigger. It's a pretty good old rifle.

This, and the Rem 40X like Savage99 uses, used to dominate the match rifle game in NRA highpower competition. A few years back David Tubb and McMillan conspired to come up with a new way to skin that cat, the Tubb 2000. Check for it on McMillan's web site, or info on it at the Zediker pulishing link in my other post. Very expensive, but a very good rifle. It has really become the dominant rifle in match-rifle competition, for some very good reasons.

Regards, Guy

Guy- just a note. That is a cool lookin rifle! Kinda like that old school myself. Never fired a match rifle with tights like that. gotta try that some day too! CL

Back