Counting My Chickens Before They're Hatched

BK

Handloader
Dec 14, 2008
Haven't even started a new job yet...

New Remingtons are not to be found anymore.

So I'm thinking about picking up a heavy barreled .243 coyote/LR steel/play rifle. My initial thought was an SPS-V. But I'm thinking of other options... Howa being first on the list. I can get a McMillan A-series stock for the Howa, and I already have a couple of them (sorta, one's a Vanguard). Scope mounts should be the same as a 700, triggers are supposed to be fairly good from the factory, and aftermarket triggers are available. The only concern I have is a somewhat limited choice of gunsmiths who will work on the metric barrel threads (going to rechamber to AI).

Any other suggestions? Keeping in mind the overall direction...

An 8 twist would be my preference, though I might possibly go with a 9 twist. Hope this works out for you, Kurt. Pity about the Remingtons, but they are still around.

1-8" would be my choice, but I'll be having to shoot factory ammo in it for a while, so not that big of deal, I suppose...

Savage predator in 243. I had one shot like gangbusters.

Hmmm, not a bad idea. For some reason, the only Savages I'm interested in are the Long Range Hunter in 6.5-284 and the HS Precision model .338 Lapua...

It is a nice rig!

taylorsvilledog.jpg

You could always go this route:

292d8046-69b8-4773-a0a4-e416505069df.jpg

Build was:

Stevens 200 action
Stockade recoil lug and tactical bolt handle
McGowen 1:7 twist 26" Varmint contour
EGW 20 MOA base
Sharp Shooter Supply Competition Trigger
HS Precision M24 stock
Savage DBM bottom metal and trigger guard.

1383949075.jpg

1383949079.jpg

This one has been a shooter for sure, 5 shot 300 yard group.

300yardgroup3-1.jpg

There is nothing wrong with a Savage :wink: my son has one in a 223 in the Model 11 in snow cammo. I shoots great.

Blessings,
Dan

Good to see a post, Joel!

That's an interesting one... just looking at the .223 and .22-250, they offer two different twist rates in each. And that 6mm Norma BR looks interesting...

edit: But no .243...

I will say this: one thing I'm concerned about is the barrel nut on the Savage. Not that I think it's a problem, I'm just concerned I will end up with a stack of extra barrels in goofy chamberings, LOL.

...well, for what yer looking to spend, action, stock, trigger, smithing, etc., yer pretty much into the price range of a Cooper (of Montana) chambered in .243 AI (1:10, sorry), turn around time, order to delivery would be significantly less, & dere shure purty w/ dere< 0.5 targets. Scheels in Billings usually has a number of them in stock for substantially less than MRSP...

BK":1ixmepgy said:
Good to see a post, Joel!

That's an interesting one... just looking at the .223 and .22-250, they offer two different twist rates in each. And that 6mm Norma BR looks interesting...

edit: But no .243...

Than go with this one...http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/12LRP

I just helped my niece's husband mount a scope on one of these in a .243. We haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but everything I have seen about this rifle point to it being a shooter. Depending on what you want the rifle for, a 6BR doesn't give much up to a .243 and will usually be more accurate.

Good luck with whatever you decide Kurt. Sounds like a cool rifle. I imagine there are plenty of used 243's out there for the taking.

Back