Coyote calling tips?

Polaris

Handloader
Dec 16, 2009
Got a coyote problem all of a sudden. Dairy farmer west of me dumped a carcass in the swamp and now I've got a whole bunch of them hanging around the back of the horse pasture and sniffing at the chicken coop. NOT GOOD. Cover is too thick to get a good clear rifle shot and the owner of most of the swamp is a #^$#^ PETA freak so I need to lure 'em in close onto my land or the neighbors (they've got no problem with me killing yotes). Was able to get 'em within about 200 yards mouthing a challenge howl and yip last night so they are aggressive but they wouldn't come any closer. Can't trap them due to dog and landowner issues.

I've hunted with guys using electronic callers that worked well but that is not currently in my budget. Do the mouth blown predator dying rabbit calls work?

Do they ever! I have taken more dogs with a mouth call than I ever have had come in with my fox pro.

Not only do mouth calls work for coyotes, but from my own experience, they work wonderfully for black bears, lynx and wolves. I try to be careful to have a friend watch behind as you can never tell when a cougar or a grizzly will come to investigate.

Polaris

Get an open reed mouth call and learn how to make it sing. The results will speak volumes.
I have a better success rate with the mouth call over my FoxPro.

JD338

I use both and they each have their strengths. For making social/challenge yote sounds the e-caller is much better than anything I can do. I also like the bird in distress sounds they make. I have called in far more with an open reed making rabbit distress calls though.

I think the separation that the e-callers provide is a huge advantage.

Get a decent open reed call and practice away from your hunt sites. Nothing like blowing away on a call at a red light and suddenly realizing that there's a car next to you suddenly. Watching. Wondering...

Polaris,
In my humble and limited practice- (I have yet to shoot a yote but its on my bucket list- so what do I know....) if you can call with some one else shooting, or vice versa, that may help. Use a cross wind technique, so that while your friend calls upwind from you the shooter, you get crack at the coyote as he tries to circle your friend to get a wiff of the supper he's hearing. Ive had coyotes hang up and challenge bark at me out of sight. They could smell me or maybe couldnt quite so they werent going to show themselves. I know more coyotes have seen me than I have seen. Obviously if you see one, alter your calling spot or style next time and dont miss. They learn quick! Nothing to it... :) There are many other here who have had more experience than myself.... Cant quote the rules in Mn but if its legal a road kill dropped within range might get you a chance. I know you can night hunt soon, if not already.
I use a Carlson howler, and Randy Andersons, Lil' Dog, and an old OLT Fox call. My Dad has an OLD Herters rabbit squealer, that he wont let me use. He's a sentimental fella once in a while....CL

Nothing like blowing away on a call at a red light and suddenly realizing that there's a car next to you suddenly. Watching. Wondering...

It's not bad to be caught this far north doing such things as there are always others doing the same thing. However, trying such a thing in Edmonton or Vancouver ... well, you could merit a free ride in a special wagon.

DrMike":10vcgsjq said:
Nothing like blowing away on a call at a red light and suddenly realizing that there's a car next to you suddenly. Watching. Wondering...

It's not bad to be caught this far north doing such things as there are always others doing the same thing. However, trying such a thing in Edmonton or Vancouver ... well, you could merit a free ride in a special wagon.

Fortunately I live in an area without grizzly bears or ?cougars(there have been some unreliable sightings lately though). Don't think they'll haul me to the nuthouse for practicing my calls. Duck and goose calls became so common at sporting events here they were specifically banned. MN rules limit me to a shotgun or .22 rf after dark so I'll have to get 'em really close unless they are on my own small property where I can claim livestock protection and fire away with the .280 and 120 Vmax's. I've got an old Ithaca 37 full choke that throws a real tight pattern of cp BBS or #4 buck to 60 yards so that's my go-to piece. Probably pack the .22 and Aguila supermax also in case we get some snow and I can see the crosshairs in the moonlight. Thanks for all the tips. Any particular brand of mouth call you guys favor?

Set up so you can shoot one circling in, you have already got good advice on calls. I like my open reeds for distress calls and my alpha dogg for everything else.

mcseal2":1umb31w2 said:
Set up so you can shoot one circling in, you have already got good advice on calls. I like my open reeds for distress calls and my alpha dogg for everything else.

Good point.

Decoys are very effevtive. If you use them, set up 40 yds down wind. A cross wind set up works too.
In my opinion, Hunting coyotes will make you a better deer/turkey hunter.

JD338

Polaris":giqe6622 said:
I've got an old Ithaca 37 full choke that throws a real tight pattern of cp BBS or #4 buck to 60 yards so that's my go-to piece. Probably pack the .22 and Aguila supermax also in case we get some snow and I can see the crosshairs in the moonlight. Thanks for all the tips. Any particular brand of mouth call you guys favor?

You will be well armed with a shottie and #4 buck.

I coyote call with corded Prey Master. The cord can only reach 50 yards. I hunt in the Northwestern part of Oklahoma which has anywhere from canyons to plains. With all that being said, does anyone have any tips that could help me bring in more coyotes?

I've been actively hunting coyotes for about 20+ years now... I've seen just about everything there is to see... and all I can definitively say is: you never really know what's going to happen with a coyote. That being said... the most common mistakes I see are:

1. Calling... at all. I know it sounds funny to say it, but most folks call way too much. How much noise can a 1/2 pound rabbit make man? The more you call, the more eyes/ears will be focused on you... more chance to get busted. You can blow a call all you want, but remember this: there are a whole lot of monkeys out there with a "predator call" they got at Wal-Mart... coyotes are generations deep in hearing and analyzing calls made by us humans. Use calling only after you're satisfied that all has calmed from your walk-in... you'll be surprised at how many coyotes you'll spot just sitting for 15 minutes before gettin' to callin'...

2. Walk-In. It has become vogue to hike a half-mile or more to stands... that's a whole lot of exposure to be seen/smelt/felt by a critter. If you are going in a ways (which I like to do)... be sneaky... glass and go slow. Don't blow it before you get where your going... see them before they see you!

3. Sun vs. Wind. If I had to choose... I'd take the sun at my back over the wind in my face most days. I'm much more worried about getting spotted, than I am getting winded... but I can see down wind most places... your situation may be different. When setting up for a stand in the dark, this can be ignored.... but you never want the sun, or the wind in your face hunting coyotes... unless you're working a sneak.

4. Shooting too many dogs. Seriously... if you shoot everyone you see... you won't have a lot of opportunity to learn how they work. You can learn a lot more from a live coyote... than you can from a dead one. Use your glasses more in the field... pull over off the road and watch one for 5 minutes on your way to work... whatever... just do your homework.

5. Movement. If you're running a call... you can't move... not one frickin' inch. This is where decoys are a true boon... you can get away with a whole lot more if you can fool the eyes as well as the ears.

All of my hunting has been in the west... where it's fairly wide open and there are healthy numbers of dogs. This may not apply to those of you in the Eastern Block...

Songdog

Good points!
These would also apply to us Eastern coyote hunters too.

JD338

Songdog - that reads like the voice of experience.

Some of it I knew. Some of it was new to me. Good stuff.

Thanks, Guy

Guy Miner":3c8y2kbd said:
Songdog - that reads like the voice of experience.

A lot of it in your neck of the woods... Go Crab Creek!

Not just experience.... bad experience... which I guess in turn leads to good judgment... or at least that's what they say.

Good points. My experience is different as far as wind and scent goes but I've been busted enough from excessive movement to know that it too is a deal-breaker. I hunt them in the eastern woods and shots are 15-150 yds with 30-60yds being the average distance. I've seen them wind me or my partner more times then I'd care to admit. Sometimes all we see is their tracks in the snow where they approached us slowly and then ran away without us even seeing them or knowing of their presence.

We've experimented with call duration and have not been convinced either way as far as calling for long or short durations. I have heard rabbits squealing for 15 minutes straight in real life though.

I've found them to be the most wary pursuit to date. You have to be "on point" from the second you slowly close your vehicle door to trigger squeeze time.

This year we've had 12 sets and haven't seen a dog.

Here's one that I forgot earlier... Scouting!

I spent a couple of hours yesterday afternoon in 40 degree temps with 25+mph winds to scout out some good areas I had seen from the road... but hadn't had the time to check out. Well... I found some good stuff... stuff I can glass, stuff I can call, and stuff that you could never see from the road. I took mental notes and sketched some stuff out on my map of places to set-up, places where there looked to be possible dens, and other obvious cow trails where coyotes would be likely to travel (both when called, and when out hunting). I saw nary a critter... except for a couple of bony antelope does... but it was a very successful trip.

Hopefully, it'll snow out there in the next week or two... and we'll get Fotis out there to shoot a dog... that is, if he don't mind walkin' a little.

Back