Coyote Hunting with a .223 Remington

G

I not sure if this is in the right place but I would like to know what grain bullet should I use for a .223 caliber. I would like to give Coyote hunting a try to extend my hunting in Pa to all year long. I am just not sure of what bullet weight to use? The rifle that it is going to be shot is a Savage 10FLP with a 1/9" twist. Any help would be great. Thanks

50-55 grain is about perfect on a coyote. With a 1:9 twist, it will probably shoot the 62+ grain bullets a bit more accurate. I would go with whichever is most accurate, prefering a frangible bullet such as the Ballistic Tip, V-Max, or maybe A-Max.

So any varmit bullet from Nosler would work on Coyotes?

In my experience, the 40 grain BT is not effective beyond 150 yards. Any 'yote hit over that is likely to keep on going and not to be found even though it will be dead soon. Go with a heavier bullet.

I use a 50 gr BT in my 22-250 for coyotes. Had 1 runner. Every other one has been a bang flop kill. Exits through the ribs are the size of a nickel.
As soon as I can get ahold of some 60 gr BT, I am going to give them a try.
In your 223 the 50 gr, 55 gr or 60 gr BT will do the trick. I think the heavier bullets will work better for coyotes.

JD338

I agree with the above. I'd look at the 50 or 55 grain B-tips. I use 55grain bullets out of my 22-250 and my hunting budy with a .222 Mag also uses 55gr bullets. The 40graines are apealing due to velocity, but I have yet to find a yote that can out-run one of any weight.

Bullet selection should also depend on if your wanting to retain the pelts or not?

Thanks for the info. I will try the heavier bullets over 50 grains. I shoot 55 grains in my AR-15 and they work good, but here in PA we can not use semi autos for hunting so I am going to purchase a bolt action for hunting. What do you use the 40 grain bullets for? Does it make a difference if it is the ballistic tip or the CT ballistic silver tip? Is Nolser Brass worth the cost? I normally use Winchester Brass but I wanted custom brass for this new rifle or can someone recommend a custom brass that works well?

The 55 gr. BT is tried and true for coyotes. Just avoid shoulder shots. With that barrel twist, I would also load up some 60 gr. Partitions. They shoot well and are deadly on coyotes. You will havd less pelt damage too.

Good Hunting,

Bob

Yes the Nosler brass is worth, especiall compared to Winchester. I had just bought some Winchester 22-250 brass while waiting for Nolser (impatience) and out of the bag one was a .223 round and I had at least one that came with a cracked neck alreday (brand new brass). I have heard the same thing from another poster.

I also got better accuracy from the Nosler.

Corey

Nosler brass is worth the price, very nice stuff.
The 40 gr BT is great fpr P dogs and woodchucks but I like the heavier bullets myself. Thet retain more energy down range.

JD338

I have the same rifle. I use 50 gr BT with H4895. 3400 fps and shoots great!

I personally have never had a problem with the 40gr BT's out of my .223 and they are my coyote bullet of choice, at the moment. I will say that I have not shot a coyote beyond 300 yards with them though. Longest shots have been 200-250 yards, and they work great.

I have used 40gn BTs at 3700fps (Federal ammo - their quoted velocity) on dogs usually in the 14-20kg range (coyote size) to 200m. Exits were inconsistent but the result was always the same for the dog. It appeared that the bullets were exploding on impact. I recovered a few bullets all without jackets and I wondered if that had anything to do with the high velocity and 1:8 barrel combination.

My preferred bullet is the 55gn BT when the young lady who has my 223 lets me use it.

Cheers :)

Personally I use a 243 when I am after coyotes...I have a 223 but only use it for small stuff...and if the wind is really howling I use my 25-06
instead...

Back