Craziest shots ever!!

super-7

Handloader
Jun 27, 2009
What are some of the crazy shots you've witnessed or heard about, not the good steady from a rest,super sized scope 1000 yarder, but the flukiest never done again in a million tries kind of shots. I was hunting with a couple of buddies quite afew years back, and it was gettin on for noon and nothing was movin. we decided to push bush before we went for lunch . Me and one guy went into a long narrow finger bush made it 20 steps and heard the report from my other buddys '06. So we walked back out to where he's standing, and asked did you get him, why of course he said with a smirk. Sure enough out in the field to theright of the bush we had pushed was a dead whitetail buck. As we walked up to drag it back to the truck is when we seen it was shot right thru the temple just below the base of the horn. this was aprox. 250-275Yrds on the dead run. That damn smirk never left my buddys face all season. Needless to say we couldn't get him to fire a shot at anything else on the move that year, not even coyotes'. I say fluke, he says good shootin.

a few years back opening weekend another guy and myself were set to push out a drive to some guys below just as we got in osition to wait for the stand men to get set we jumped this little buck haulin butt straight away down hill I gave him a courtesey shot but may partner stay on him by the time the buck hit the bottom of the hill it turned due right my buddy was down to his last round in his rifle and sure enough on a dead run at a goo 300 yds bang flop flop (yes 2 flops) with a 243! I would have called bs all day if I had not seen it myself. I gained a lot of respect for the 6mm on that shot and it brought a little validity to some of the stories of his shots of the past.

Many years ago I was deer hunting in Maine with a good friend. We were topping a rise when approximately 8-10 whitetails jumped from their bedded positions and began running every which way. I picked what I thought was the biggest one and touched off a round from my 06. The deer which was approximately 30 yards away dropped like a wet dish rag. When I got to him I noticed about three inches of spine taken out. My buddy asked me what the heck I was shooting out of my gun and a subsequent check found that my bullet had gone through a substantial sapling prior to hitting the deer. That was strictly a "lucky" shot.

I remember riding around with my dad on the farm one day and we jumped a yote out of a sand dune. He stopped the pick up and got the SKS out and started lobbing rounds. Dad was on his 28th shot and the dog was a good 650-700 yards away at a dead run when dad shot and the yote cartwheeled. I know it was all luck, but still impressive with an open sighted SKS of all things.

Another day I was driving to college on a wintery morning and two yotes ran across the road and out into the field next to the highway. I pulled off the highway, got my .243 loaded w/ 52.5 Gr H414 and a 55 gr. NBT. Figured I would at least give him some traveling music. Well he was 3/4 of the way across the field (1/2 mile in diamiter pivot) so I held for the sky and let one go. Next thing I know the yote is out in the field spinning around biting at him self and falls over dead!

I posted one a while ago on here about a yote that I shot with that same rifle and load. Missed her at 200 standing and hit her in the head at a dead run at 250 just before she went behind the hill.
I love that .243!

Personally, I have made a few good shots, but nothing crazy. My hunting partner, on the other hand, has two that I remember very well.

Years ago while out shooting squirells with our .22LR's a small bird flew along the base of a small hill at about 40 yards out. He called the shot and made the shot with a .22lr.

Another time, driving a back road he spotted a coyote at what we both guessed to be 600+- yards. He pulled out the 6mm Rem with 70gr Ballistic Tips and proceeded to drop the coyote with one shot. No range finder or anything.

He claims both those shots to be pure luck, I agree that there is a lot of luck involved, but there is a lot of skill too.

Here is a crazy deal he told me about on a Whitetail hunt in Canada. Long story short. Just before dark he shot a buck facing him at 150 yards. The buck flipped onto his back and didn't move. As he walked up, the buck jumped up and ran off. They tracked most of the next day only to hear a shot ring out. They met up with the guy that shot and he explained that it was the buck they shot the night before, limping badly, and he shot it. There was a vet at camp and he opened the buck up and followed the path of the bullet and inspected the internal organs. Although my buddy hit him square in the chest with his .300 Win Mag, the bullet missed the heart/lungs, bounced off the spine right above the liver, breaking 4 vertibrea and came to rest in the hip. The bullet did it's job, it just happened to miss every vital organ/artery. Now that is crazy to me. The vet said the buck would have probably survived if infection did not set in.

The Antelope buck he shot a couple of years back, while skinning him out, I noticed the buck had been shot though the neck, probably 2 weeks prior.

My father shot a whitetail deer in 1967 with a 12 gauge (#1 buckshot). 1 pellet hit the deer in the side of the head killing it instantly. This was in front of 8 witnesses. The deer was standing broadside at 308yds! :shock:

3 years ago my friend "Clyde" shot a doe with his 6.5x55. It was the first deer he had shot in about 5 yrs. He brought her back to camp, and started to take pictures of her, when I pointed out that she was STILL BREATHING. :shock: He had spine shot her above the shoulder. Deer was tagged and all! LMAO! Henceforth the LEGEND of " Bring'em Back Alive Clyde " was born. :)
Both of the above stories are TRUE. I couldn't make up stories that good. :)

A few years back, I accidentally back my bike trailer on my rifle which was seating in the ground on a bi-pod. I nailed it right by the scope's objective lens. I always carried colimator in the field just for this reason. So after readjusting the scope back to my original marks through the colimator, I went hunting. To cut the story short, I took a broadside shot on a buck at no more than 50 yards and missed. The buck took off like a rocket. I reacquired him on a dead run and fired again. The 180 grain Hornady BTSP, from my 300 Win Mag collided with the buck and spunned it 180 degrees. At the autopsy, a big chunk of meat was missing on the buck's neck and there was a ripped in the bucks lower lip about 3 inches long. Actually it split the lip in half. It's obvious that it was the hit from my first shot. I took the rifle to the range after I got home to verify my zero and I was hitting 15 inches to right, That's how much the scope was off.

Here's that buck, the one on the left. The buck on the right was quite a story on to itself. My friend in the picture shot that buck after another friend missed the buck eight times with his 308. He run out of bullet so he called our friend to shoot it for him. Amazingly the buck stayed long enough for my friend to get to where the he was. He only fired one shot. The deer was no more than 150 yards.

2006-09-16-0818-32.jpg

The wildest luck shot I ever made was while hunting in a new tree stand on a power line cut in East NC. I had built this chain on metal tree stand and built a shooting rail on the front of it and had positioned it perfectly so I could use the rail to rest off of to shoot down the power line cut. I was using a new Rem 700 SS in 7mm Rem Mag. I went down in the after noon and got into the stand and as I was getting set up securing my safety strap I look up the line cut and right at 300 yards I see this buck come trotting across. In a hurry I grab my rifle off the hook I had attached to the side of the shooting rail and quickly laid the rifle on the rail and flicked the safety off and was tracking the buck as he trotted across. Little did I know that in my haste I had placed the trigger guard on the shooting rail and as I swung the rifle on the deer and was just pulling ahead of him to take a shot the rifle slipped off its rest on the trigger guard and when it fell down on the shooting rail my finger hit the trigger and BOOM the rifle went off. A split second later I heard the bullet SMACK and the deer jumped straight up in the air and kicked like a bucking horse and when it hit the ground it took off and made it to the other side of the power line cut and crashed. The power line was a little over 250 yards wide. I got down from the stand and when I walked up to the 7 point buck the bullet had struck it perfectly in the center of the front shoulders broad side. Talk about luck.

I had a bad luck shot also once. I had been watching this buck run a doe all over a huge timber cut over between 800 and 1000 yards away for over an hour one evening. He would run her for a little bit and she would then lay down and he would lay down then she would get up and he would run her some more. I was hunting from a 4'X4'X6' plywood shooting house. I had a good shooting platform with sand bags to shoot off of. I was shooting my custom Shilen barreled 25-06 Rem 700. If that buck would only come a little closer and stand still for just a second is all I had on my mind. All of a sudden the doe got up and started running down the edge of the cut over toward me and the buck followed hot on her. I was following the buck in the scope and just hoping he would stop for a second. I had already ranged some trees down the side of that cut over that had white lines painted on them so my yardage knowledge was good. When the deer got to the 300 yard spot it stopped. As I was zeroed dead on at 300 yards this was going to be a chip shot. I centered the cross hairs quickly on his front shoulder and started my squeeze on the 2 1/2 LB trigger and BOOM. This rifle does not have much recoil and I can still still see the deer through the scope when fired. Just in front of this deer I see a flash and something going straight up in the air. The deer watches what ever it is flying into the air and follows it up and down to the ground with his head. He then takes two of those stiff legged strutting steps into the woods and out of my sight for ever. When I went to investigate the situation I found that about 25 yards from where that deer had been standing was the end of a limb off one of the cut down tree laps that my bullet had hit and shot it off. It had caused it to flip into the air and that was what the flash was and was what the deer was watching rise and fall out of the air.

Neither of these shots happened to me but I believe them. My Grandpa lived in Alaska in the 50's and 60's. He was hunting with his .348 Winchester and needed some meat. He found a Caribou trotting away from him so he wanted to shoot it in the back of the head. It was a fair distance and his bullet must have gone a bit low, but the Caribou dropped dead. When he went to skinning it he could not find a single hole anywhere in the hide. Grandpa is not one to take a Texas heart shot, but he likes to say he made the perfect one, because the heart was destroyed on this critter. The best he can figure out is the bullet entered perfectly in the exit only hole of the Caribou.

While hunting at my Granpa's place in Montana, same Grandpa, a buddy tried to arrow a doe with his longbow. The doe had been walking slowly at about 15 yards and just as my buddy released the arrow the deer stopped. Had she kept walking it would have proably been a good chest shot. The arrow hit dead center of her neck. The doe took off out into the middle of a field and stood around. She started to feed and my buddy watched her for over an hour feeding like nothing had happened. He could see the hole in her neck and only a slight drop of blood. We came to the conclusion that when his 2 bladed Zwickey broadhead passed through it was in such a position that it passed between any major arteries or veins and alslo missed the throat or else she would not have been feeding so freely.

As for my own crazy shots, they have more to do with the animals not being hit by my bullets. Absolutely crazy......I can't explain it. :grin:

Well, I've got 2 stories, both a friend of mine and the rifle is none other than the Model 94 winchester in 30-30.

I would take an oath that these stories happened, but probably not beleive somebody else telling them to me.

First one, a couple buddies I grew up with and I were sitting at the edge of a field, the timber bordering it was spruce and poplar, big stand of really nice timber. The spruce had to be 80 feet or more tall, big wood for Manitoba. In the stand there were alot of Ruffed Grouse. As we sat there, about 3 or 4 grouse landed in the snow at the edge of the field and if I recall correctly burrowed into the snow and popped their heads up thro the snow. My one buddy looks at us and says I can hit one of those birds with this 30-30, to which we obviously say, yeah right. In response, he cocks his rifle and shoots, taking the head off one of them.

Same guy a couple years later shot a small black bear at about 100 yds or more, right behind the ear at a flat out run just as it made it into the bush. We didn't actually see it drop, we heard it start thrashing about after the fact. also the 30-30.

I seen both first hand.

I also shot a WT spike buck just below the spine with a 300 grn XTP out of a muzzleloader and dropped it and then it got up as I stood almost over it and ran off, never to be recovered or draw a flock of buzzards.

JT.

Both stories are very impressive. I know there are some good shots with the Model 94, but that is still fine shooting.

Mine was at a treed racoon on my ranch. I had not shot a handgun much, in fact, less than 20 times. But I had some clients that saw me shoot well with a rlfle, and so we headed out to spotlight some coons. On around the 6th coon, we had one spot lighted in a tree about 25 yds away. I got out, and then the client handed me his 41. I shot at the coon from around 15yds, and it dropped. I figured that it had a heart attach or had laughed itself to death. But, when we got on it, i had shot it between the eyes. None of the clients would believe me when I told them the shot was pure luck!!! I still hunt with a couple of them from time to time, but I don't ever shoot a handgun around them!
Hardpan

Back