Custom 35 Whelen AI Reamer?

5shot

Handloader
Jan 13, 2016
Based on most of what I have read, factory guns in 35 Whelen all have very long throats, and from what I have learned by talking to various reamer manufacturers, so does the 35 WAI. Based on measurements I have taken, they can be 0.040"-0.090" too long, making it impossible to reach the lands and still fit in a standard magazine box.

I am probably going to purchase a reamer from Manson for my current project (has the shortest standard throat that I can find), and while I am at it, I can have them custom grind the throat to create one that is of a reasonable length for the cartridge. The upcharge is a very reasonable $30, and only adds a couple weeks, since the reamer is on the shelf.

I plan to shoot a lot of lead through this one, and the long throat is not an advantage, as you want to fit the throat before ignition, in order to ease the bullet into the bore as best as possible.

I figure I can rent it out for a reasonable $30 to anyone who is interested, so it won't be wasted.

Am I worrying about nothing?

I have read where there are quite a few who shoot lead threw their factory barrels in 35 Whelen so I haven't read of a problem. I would go over on the Cast Bullet Forum and ask those guys. There are quite a few who shoot lead in Whelens there.

Because I already have one - dies, brass, etc. It shoots lead into one hole with full charges of WC852F, so I'm not worried about the extra 2% of case capacity. The current one has an extremely short throat, and limits OAL with jacketed bullets.

The purpose of shooting lead is to allow me to shoot more, but I'd still like to have it be accurate with them.

Manson is a good guy and has helped me out in the past. I have a standard Whelen reamer with a short throat that PTG made for me. Manson is a good outfit, you're on the right track.

Well if you already have one it's a good reason to stick with the AI. I just found it kind of odd wanting an AI to shoot cast boolits. Usually that's not the reason for wanting an AI cartridge.

Back