CUSTOM PROJECT .270-.300JLS

CZ

Handloader
Jun 21, 2007
WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THIS PROJECT.-
Cartridge.- .270-.300JLS
We started with a call to Dave Manson he is building the custom reamer
for the cartridge and sent the drawing to Redding to Patrick for the custom
dies.- We are going to use Nosler 140gr Ballistic Tips to specs.
We order a custom barrel from Tim North at Broughton by the way very
special person gave us a good idea about his barrels, we have always
used PAC NOR this is the first time we try BROUGHTON.
We expect to get velocities aproaching a .270STW,
Some idea what are we going to get????????????
ill post the drawing if pop helps.
thank you.

its a .270 bullet in a .300 WM case with the same shoulder angle

Had a 270/300Winmag a number of years ago. Seem to remember 3400fps with a 130 was the final load. It was sold and I don't have any of the loads now. Have to check for dies.Rick.

CZ, just went to the shop and checked the dies I used for the 270/300Win Mag, I made no change to the shoulder or case, only the neck. I have a 300WinMag body die for PFL, doesn't change the neck. A Type "S" 300WinMag neck die with the appropriate bushings for a 270. A 270 Win competition seater that I had the gunsmith ream with a 300WinMag reamer, cost was $25 for the reaming. No custom dies. When I sold the rifle I included a 50 round box of loaded ammo with the load data. Later the purchaser changed to a 300Rum so my data is gone.Rick.

rick smith":zty2jzxs said:
CZ, just went to the shop and checked the dies I used for the 270/300Win Mag, I made no change to the shoulder or case, only the neck. I have a 300WinMag body die for PFL, doesn't change the neck. A Type "S" 300WinMag neck die with the appropriate bushings for a 270. A 270 Win competition seater that I had the gunsmith ream with a 300WinMag reamer, cost was $25 for the reaming. No custom dies. When I sold the rifle I included a 50 round box of loaded ammo with the load data. Later the purchaser changed to a 300Rum so my data is gone.Rick.

I could use a 300 WM die with the appropiate .270 bushing, neck, but after few firings I would need a full, Its a good idea the way you did it, and Rick you said you did it years ago, with the "new" breed of powders
maybe this round will rock. I will post results in the near future.

For what??? Thats what I tell my friend, on the past I have had a lot of
wildcats but as I get older I returned to my Remy7 708 hihi.
He hunts venado bura and cola blanca.

The rifle is going to finish good.-
SAKo Action
27" Broughton Barrel
Mcmillan stock (6 months for delivery hihi)
and cerrakote finish.

CZ

Sounds interesting. Let us know how the project turns out.

JD338

I was using either one of the 4831s or RL22, really don't remember now. Wildcats can be fun, I have played with a good number of them over the years. When Redding came out with the body dies and bushing neck dies, I built several more just to try out some ideas. I sold some of them and others have been turned into different calibers. I still have some that get used from time to time. Good luck with yours.Rick.

CZ, You will need to FL or PFL after a few firings, as you said, the body die will take care of that task.Rick.

POP":1i5b2xsy said:
I get 3400
+ with a 130 AB from my 270 Wby...

POP sounds good your velocity but Weatherbys come freebore, I ordered the reamer with the bullet just touching the rifleing, I also ordered a throather so I can play with the freebore, giving it a lil freebore I can load hotter the round with a sure lose in accuracy. I will try it first with the bullet touching the rifleing for sure I will get better velocities than Weatherbys, with the freebore I can expect from 100 to 150 fps faster.

With wildcats you can get "hotrods" on the past I built a 6mm MachIV 7mag case with 6mm bullet with freebore and I got extremly high velocities from the shneider barrel that was about 10 years ago hihi.
Like I said I get older and always seem to return to my ought6.

Back