custom rifle build

I have had 6 rifles re-barrelled by John Maike of Flint Hills Gun Works in Kansas. He has done an excellent job for me with whatever barrel I wanted to use. He is a true perfectionist which is what I want in a gunsmith I used Montana barrels with good results before some of the employees left to form Mcgowan. My last two were a 6mm Remington with a Kreiger barrel that shoots pretty one hole groups when I do my part, and a 204 Ruger with a Pac-Nor. I haven't started reloading for the 204 yet but it shoots under 1" with the cheap winchester factory loads I broke the barrel in with.

You may want to check on-hand inventory of the top manufacturers to see if you can get the barrel you want right away, waits can be long. Their reps can also be helpful matching the contour and twist rate to your needs. Also be sure to ask how to break your new barrel in or you can ruin it quickly.

Good luck and let us know how she shoots when you are done.

Just mailed off my action/barrel for the work to begin on my custom rifle stock. I will be using an accurate innovations stock, as I wanted wood, and I liked there aluminum bedding block. Wes at AI is unbelieveable at customer service and I have no doubt that the stock will be too. Now the waiting game begins.

If your budget minded in these times there are other alternatives. Some of the big time barrel makers have OEM subsidiaries that do lower cost barrels. They are button rifled instead of cut and more often than not chromolly as this reduces cost. Criterion barrel is a subsidiary of Kreiger and they turn out one hell of a barrel at or under $200 bucks. Rock Creek, Douglas, ER Shaw, McGowen, Lothar Walther are some others. Now on to the stock, composites are where it's at as far as accuracy but if you are looking for heirloom wood laminate that's gonna cost a fair penny or two. Consider an inexpensive composite and get it Hydro dipped. You can get the most expensive looking wood out there for a fraction of the price while looking like the real thing. It will have a tough finnish that you wont mind taking to the woods and using it as the tool it is. If you bugger it up you can always have it re-dipped.

Sub MOA shouldn't cost you your first born... just my 2 cents

scout1":34ftoabk said:
If your budget minded in these times there are other alternatives. Some of the big time barrel makers have OEM subsidiaries that do lower cost barrels. They are button rifled instead of cut and more often than not chromolly as this reduces cost. Criterion barrel is a subsidiary of Kreiger and they turn out one hell of a barrel at or under $200 bucks. Rock Creek, Douglas, ER Shaw, McGowen, Lothar Walther are some others. Now on to the stock, composites are where it's at as far as accuracy but if you are looking for heirloom wood laminate that's gonna cost a fair penny or two. Consider an inexpensive composite and get it Hydro dipped. You can get the most expensive looking wood out there for a fraction of the price while looking like the real thing. It will have a tough finnish that you wont mind taking to the woods and using it as the tool it is. If you bugger it up you can always have it re-dipped.

Sub MOA shouldn't cost you your first born... just my 2 cents

Great ideas! PacNor is another that makes great barrels for a good price. B&C makes some good stocks as well. Scotty

I am decided to go with a different stock...The AI stock was going to be cost prohibitive. I have ordered a solid walnut stock with the aluminum bedding block in it from stockystocks, and this should srrive this week.

Once I make some modifications to the stock for my DM releases I will have it sent off for custom checkering.

As it stands right now I will probably send my action off to ER Shaws for rebarreling, action blue printing and new timney trigger. As I cant find a good smith in the Chicago area for a resonable price

Any suggestions?

Back