CZ 222 Rem

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
I have quite a few big game rifle, but I don't have any 22 centerfires right now. Think it would be crazy to get one of these. I love the 222 cartridge.. Just looks cool with that long neck and I would think this little CZ would be a handy rifle. Any thought on the rifle/cartridge? I am not really looking for a speed demon, just something for hiking and such..

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-527-fs/

CZ_zps7c06b66b.png

Scotty;
I have a 550 CZ that is very accurate. It too is the FS (full stock)version. I originally bought it because of the chambering (9.3) and it looked cool. :lol:
It has digested everything I've fed it with terrific results.
I also have a few CZ pistols that have proved well made and accurate (look cool also)
I have no experience with the 527 but have heard it is a very good gun through some pretty reliable people.
222 is a neat round and one I thought would be good to mess around with.
Dewey

Thanks Dewey. Never heard a bad word about CZ. I really like the stock.

Sweet looking little rifle, Scotty. The 222 is a cool little cartridge, and I just like the looks of Mannlicher stocks. I don't like the 1:14 twist barrel, however. I think I would prefer a faster twist. I had a CZ 550 FS chambered in 30-06; it is sure a handy size.

As long as you don't mind using lighter bullets the 1 in 14 twist will be fine. It certainly is accurate and that gun is very attractive. Another option if you want a faster twist 222 is the Ruger No.1 coming out this year listed on their website as having a 1 in 9 twist. I would want to confirm that with Ruger before ordering though. The 222 is super cool and that CZ would be a fine addition to you collection.

Scotty - my .204 Ruger is a CZ 527, and I'm very happy with it. Accurate & reliable. Easy shooting. The itty-bitty mini-mauser action is pretty fun to use as well.

I like the looks of those full-stock rifles.

Guy

gerry":32wuu1t7 said:
As long as you don't mind using lighter bullets the 1 in 14 twist will be fine. It certainly is accurate and that gun is very attractive. Another option if you want a faster twist 222 is the Ruger No.1 coming out this year listed on their website as having a 1 in 9 twist. I would want to confirm that with Ruger before ordering though. The 222 is super cool and that CZ would be a fine addition to you collection.

That Ruger is on my skyline as well. Probably wouldn't mess with heavies, 50-55 grain Noslers would probably get alot of work done.

I've always wanted a Rem 788 in 222Rem. The CZs are excellent choices and the Mannlicher stocks have always been keen to me. I don't see a need for heavy bullets with this cartridge. They make a great coyote gun with the 40-50gr pills.

Had on the past a 7mm Rem Mag CZ 550 lux model, not got accustomed to the set
trigger and comb of the stock, sold it, just purchased a CZ 455 model .22mag all american,
just my perfect small game rifle from rodents to coyotes, like the lines of the all american.

I'll be the odd man out here. The .222 Rem. is a fine cartridge and the CZ action is nice. The "Bavarian style" stock, however, has got to be one of the ugliest designs to come down the pike. I owned a 550FS in 6.5 Swedish for a short time. The ugly stock and a defective extractor caused me to trade it off pretty quickly. This particular rifle had a recoil pad sprayed with stock finish just like the rest of the wood, like they never heard of masking it off. I do like the CZ American series rifles though and mannlicher-stocked rifles in general, owning a Husqvarna, a Ruger and a 1952 Mannlicher Schoenauer all with full length wood. If you can, SJB358, try to show us the other side of that walnut canoe paddle before everyone rushes out to order something they regret. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I know.

Thanks DCD. I will check it out. Be awhile before I buy anyhow.

There is one in my local pawn shop that I flirt with regularly.

Me too Doc. If the prairie dog situation was the same as in previous years then ok but now.......

Well It is a pawn shop which basically means MSRP but you always have to haggle. They want $700

Back