CZ-USA 550 American in 6.5x55 Swede?

m1aggie01

Beginner
Sep 9, 2007
Anybody have on of these? I am seriously considering one but would like some reviews on this particular rifle or series of rifles. Am I crazy to want this caliber when I can also get a good .270 and find ammo anywhere I go??

All input will be appreciated!!

TIA

The 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser is a classic cartridge. Accuracy is usually excellent and the high BC bullets kill better than you would think.
Load it up with the 120 gr BT or 130 gr AB and you will have yourself one fine long range deer slayer.
If you really want to stretch your range, look at a 264 Win Mag. :wink:

JD338

JD's right, this is a great classic cartridge. I almost bought one a while back, prior to getting the magnum buzz. I will likely buy one at some point, just because I like the round. You should also consider the 125gr Partition for this round, as it offers great velocity, and plenty of knockdown. 140's are great for this round, but slower, so for white-tails the 120-130gr stuff is still best, although for elk, the 140 would work well. I have a friend in Sweden who hunts moose with one of these (in a Husqvarna action from way back) and has no troubles at all. Of course, he hits them pretty much square in the boiler every time, which helps, but the cartridge is a standard for moose over there.

This all sounds like good info...I guess I will have to start reloading b/c very few companies load for production ammo for the round....I plan for getting one of these and topping it off with one of the new Nikon Monarch 3-12x42mm scopes.

Reloading is the only way to go! You can taylor your loads to your rifle and your needs. You will get a lot of help here. :wink:

JD338

JD338":32jes571 said:
Reloading is the only way to go! You can taylor your loads to your rifle and your needs. You will get a lot of help here. :wink:

JD338

You keep throwing that out here...it must be the truth :wink: .

I have a limited budget so I need to start somewhere. Thanks again for all of your help.

Speak with 270fan here. He's haveing a .260 custom built and has done quite a bit of research on this.
I have a .260 Rem M7... ok ok, It's my wifes', but I'm very impressed with that round and suprisingly an awesome long distance round. Works great on elk.

Powerstroke":ecwki585 said:
I have a .260 Rem M7... ok ok, It's my wifes', but I'm very impressed with that round and suprisingly an awesome long distance round. Works great on elk.

Powerstroke,

How come you keep forgetting? :lol:

JD338

JD,

I hear ya ! The whole issue stems from.....I took a M700 Varmiter 22-250 to a local gunsmith Feb of 2006. Purchased a Lilja SS 22in Fluted barrel for it and yes to be turned into a .260 " FOR MYSELF " 22-250 to a .260 you say..ya, pretty easily done and I was told I'd have it for hunting season ( 2006 ) !! The gun STILL isn't done. I've given him till the end of next week before I go get it back. In the meantime...... well ya, the M7 youth that is shorter than my kids red ryder I'm really starting to like.

Powerstroke,

Time to KATN.

Hope you get her back for THIS hunting season.

JD338

These shoot great and the swede cartridge is accurate too.

POP,

Recomendations of any good Smiths in the area? I'd gladly drive one that direction if it was done in a Timely manner.

Powerstroke":10j93fr6 said:
Recomendations of any good Smiths in the area? I'd gladly drive one that direction if it was done in a Timely manner.

Sent you a PM.

JD338

This is my CZ 550 Full Stock in 243 Winchester. I chose the 243 over the 6.5 X 55 because I like the removable magazine. It's a great gun, you will be happy with a CZ if you buy one and the 6.5 X 55 is an equally great cartridge.

Refinidhedstock1.jpg

flashhole":3amo2vbi said:
This is my CZ 550 Full Stock in 243 Winchester. I chose the 243 over the 6.5 X 55 because I like the removable magazine. It's a great gun, you will be happy with a CZ if you buy one and the 6.5 X 55 is an equally great cartridge.

Refinidhedstock1.jpg

Really nice rifle...if all wood is that nice I will be REALLY pleased. I have never had a Mannlicher (sp?) stock before...don't know if I really like it??

Thanks for the pic. How does yours group??? TIA

This gun shoots even better than it looks. If you do buy the CZ do yourself a big favor and clean it before you shoot it. I mean scrub the barrel. I have never seen so much yuck come out of a new barrel as I did this CZ.

flashhole":fntko9qg said:
This gun shoots even better than it looks. If you do buy the CZ do yourself a big favor and clean it before you shoot it. I mean scrub the barrel. I have never seen so much yuck come out of a new barrel as I did this CZ.

I wondered if there would be something like that. I wrote CZ asking them if they recommended any particular method of breaking in their barrels. I was told strongly after my second return email that their bbls are "hand-lapped" at the factory and need no breaking in. This is probably what you found in your bbl?!?

I will make note of the dirtiness of the bbl!

I have checked with a few of my local dealers and while they would not mind finding me a used rifle in this caliber, they both recommended, w/o being prompted, that CZ guarantees 1 MOA accuracy right out of the box and if it does not meet those specs, they will accept the rifle returned either for a rebarrel or full replacement!!! After having my emails returned within 24-48 hours max and this info from both dealers, I would say their customer service must be some of the best in the industry.

sorry 'bout the late reply, but here goes. got one in 7x57 and it is extremely finicky to say the least. the throat is extremely long and very picky in what it will shoot. it likes hornady 139's and speer 145's...and that's it! no nosler of any flavor. i actually am considering having a douglas brl installed, but am still dragging my feet.

X ring 7mag":3w3pm3ys said:
sorry 'bout the late reply, but here goes. got one in 7x57 and it is extremely finicky to say the least. the throat is extremely long and very picky in what it will shoot. it likes hornady 139's and speer 145's...and that's it! no nosler of any flavor. i actually am considering having a douglas brl installed, but am still dragging my feet.

X-ring, thanks for the reply...I am no expert, but I think I would contact CZ customer service before I spent all of my money rebbling my rifle. Something about your problem just does not seem right? It should chamber any round and especially european manufacturers such as Norma. After all, CZ is a European country!

I have the CZ550FS in 6.5x55....and I totally agree with the CZ customer service about the break in procedure. This is the first gun I have ever owned that has the same point of impact shooting from a clean barrel or dirty. Can't tell you how "picky" it is with loads.... First thing I tried was a scoup of Varget under a 100gr. ballistic tip with a crimp. Get 3050fps and under 1" so I have yet to try anything else. Got boxes of partitions, accubonds, SSTs and hot cores, but haven't shot any of 'em yet...

Jim

Back