Dads Mauser - Bedding and other things- pics added

Dr. Vette":2mt9g51v said:
It's not a matter of returning to where it was before, it's a matter of inducing stress on the action.

The only time I have purposely placed stress on an action for a bedding job is the 338-06 rifle I described in another thread recently - and I didn't tape the bottom of that lug either as I want it to return to the same spot after any removal of the barreled action.

Again, I'm not saying you're wrong, but there is a legitimate and sensible counter argument to both theories. Leaving what I think out of it, this has been debated by gun builders (which I don't claim to be) as much as Ford vs Chevy, and Blondes vs Brunette's. Easy to find pages and pages on the subject.

Nathan Foster, who has probably shot more game from 600-1000 + yds than most us will at normal ranges, according to his instructions, tapes off the bottom of the lug. And yes, including actions where the front action screw goes directly into the bottom of the lug such as Howa's, which happens to be one of the rifles in his instructions.

As I said initially, I haven't tested enough Mauser's both ways to intelligently state the pro's and con's of each. I've gotten good results with one method, but am willing to try the other to see if it works. Easy enough to fix if I don't like it.

I've never seen anyone recommend tape on the bottom of a recoil lug when the action screw is involved. Just my observation to date.

Dr. Vette":i6nz7n9y said:
I've never seen anyone recommend tape on the bottom of a recoil lug when the action screw is involved. Just my observation to date.

This all makes for good discussion, which is an important part of such forums, trying to learn things.

I post only on this forum, but I'm a steady reader of all things gun related that peak my interest.

You can find opposing opinions on this subject of Mausers, on Benchrest.com, Shootersforum.com, Castboolits.gunloads.com, just to name a few.

My conclusion at the end of all that? Nobody knows for sure. :lol:

Thanks guys for keeping this one up. Still learning. Unfortunately, my trip to the range to shoot Dads rifle did not go well and I was unable to shoot anything of consequence before the shoulder gave out and I was suddenly no longer "social distancing".... Long , stupid, story...
The "experiments" with "accra-glass" continue....Currently trying to finish up a set of "pocket grips" for a single six that was supposed to be a wedding present for a good friend, 30 years ago. :shock: Man did I need a couple weeks off! :) Those grips have been "bedded" around the frame to make up for my poor inletting skills. Will be solid beut may not be pretty. Unfortunately the same muscles that run the W/C run the sand paper, and the rasp. Last time I did one of these I had access to a power sander. Much easier...Pics when done, when I can. CL

Will shoot Dads rifle as I am able. If it doesn't perform as I hope, will look to bed the first inch or so of the barrel as it currently has NO support from the action forward. And skim the recoil lug area...maybe. Gotta shoot it dang it.

cloverleaf":syzep536 said:
Will shoot Dads rifle as I am able. If it doesn't perform as I hope, will look to bed the first inch or so of the barrel as it currently has NO support from the action forward. And skim the recoil lug area...maybe. Gotta shoot it dang it.
I would do the recoil lug long before I'd worry about barrel support.

Others may disagree, but I have zero rifles with any bedding under the start of the barrel.

Finally got out to shoot Dads 7Mag on his birthday. To briefly recount, I had taken it apart for an annual cleaning and noticed the barrel appear to be rubbing unevenly on the stock. I opened up the channel, but as suggested above I shot the rifle before glassing the lug or initial inch or so of the barrel. Rifle is a Herters purchase imported by a company out of Washington DC :shock: purchased at Herters in 1964. Scope is a K-4 Weaver w/ a 2 min. dot. Photo below starts from the bottom dot.

Fouler: dead center middle of page, point of aim lower dot. :shock:

Next three shots fell in or near the lower dot which I think is about 2 inches in diameter. (This is the best group I have ever managed with Dads rifle :cry: :) :) ) These loads are ones that Dad put together with some range brass and his favorite 130 Grain Speers. Sorry cant give you the order fired ro exact load. I know it was IMR 4350.

As an experiment, I picked up a box of Hornaday Costom Lite. To my knowledge Dad never shot a factory round through this rifle, and its no wonder, 7 Mag is ridiculous expensive. (more on that in a minute). Anyway, the four shots in and around the upper dot are the Hornady. No major difference and I would be willing to blame the operator for the high and low shots.

Not sure where I will go from here. The two inch, two shot groups in the dots may be the best I can do. Got to admit I was really happy with the group the reloads shot below. Remember, this is a rifle with what I would guess is at least a 5 lb trigger and a 50+ year old 4x weaver which by the way is still right on.

Sorry Nosler- there were loads on the shelf that included Nosler bullets but at 50 bucks or more a box, hey I'm just a furloughed working stiff, and I didn't want to shoot 165 Gr Remingtons. As it was by the the time I pulled the trigger on the 7th and 8th shots I knew it was time to quit.

sorry post image flipped the photo:

Over all, it was a good day for me at the range. Wish Dad could see the old Gal' shoot, or better yet that he could show the kid how its done. Miss you Dad.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtiX_dCgQ9A

CL

Ain't much for a long way that'll slip through those shot CL. I think if you played a little with some handloads you might have some fun with your Dad's rifle. I'd grab some 4350 and 140-150 Ballistic Tips and spend some time with it. It looks like a fine shooting rifle to me. 2 MOA dot isn't the easiest to be exact with anyhow, but just fine for killing bucks!

Thanks - Ya- I was satisified with the day. I was thinking some 120 BT's. I have heard they were the same jacket as the 140's. Thought maybe they would be a little less recoil as well. Opinions anyone 140's vs 120's? CL

cloverleaf":1cu092u9 said:
Thanks - Ya- I was satisified with the day. I was thinking some 120 BT's. I have heard they were the same jacket as the 140's. Thought maybe they would be a little less recoil as well. Opinions anyone 140's vs 120's? CL

I would look at those 120 gr BT's and start with one of the 4350's like Scotty mentioned. Maybe grab some 120 gr Barnes TTSX too, those are tough bullets and I can't see any deer even those big boys where you live shrugging them off.

gerry":1vbgga2l said:
cloverleaf":1vbgga2l said:

I would look at those 120 gr BT's and start with one of the 4350's like Scotty mentioned. Maybe grab some 120 gr Barnes TTSX too, those are tough bullets and I can't see any deer even those big boys where you live shrugging them off.

Yes sir. Either or!

I’d also bet you could probably run some H4895 for about 3000 in that 7. Recoil would be 7-08 levels and probably a pile of fun. With the TTSX I’d use it for elk if that’s what I had!

SJB358":9lngo94s said:
Yes sir. Either or!

I’d also bet you could probably run some H4895 for about 3000 in that 7. Recoil would be 7-08 levels and probably a pile of fun. With the TTSX I’d use it for elk if that’s what I had!

You are right on all counts, didn't even think of H 4895 but that powder seems to work in just about any cartridge.

Looking at it a bit further with IMR 4350 and the 120 gr BT Nosler's data shows their starting load of 62 gr clocked 3138 fps which would duplicate the 270 Win and 130's in performance and also recoil.

Thanks fellas- I heard a rumor that the state where I'm in exile may be going rifle state wide. If so I'm one of the few guys in our group that will be "properly armed". :) I may have to loan out the 'ole 7MAg to take one more buck, or just leave my beloved 250 Savage ta home and do it myself. To late and broke for a goat tag again this year :( :) . Which gun here ... That'd be a tough choice...but fun either way. Thanks again. CL

Back