Damn you 30-06

ldg397

Handloader
Sep 27, 2007
I have been wanting a new toy, I think I have it narrowed down to a new Model 70. Been trying to pick the new caliber and had narrowed it (albeit not very far) to 7mm-08, 270win, 270wsm, 308 and 300 win. I have been looking over all the ballistics and it seems my 30-06 will do almost as well or better than most of the calibers in most specific situtations except the 270wsm and 300 win. I have been against the new wsm craze so would be hesitant with the 270 wsm even with the potential shown in the ballistic tables and with cost of ammo and brass. I guess I really have narrowed to 270 win (because of classic combo); 270wsm and 300 win and actually would prefer all of them in the sporter version instead of the featherweight. I guess I need to sell my 30-06 so that I need more rifles. :lol: :lol:

I have never owned or shot a rifle with the mauser style crf and have always wanted one.

Currently have a .260 700 Mtn; 30-06 Sako; and Marlin 1895 45-70 Guide Gun.

Only other rifles in consideration would be the Remington 700 cdl in 257 weatherby.

Any ideas?

The .338 Wim Mag pairs really well with the 30.06.

Or you could add a varmit gun, 22-250/.243. The .257 could be your varmit gun.

You were right the first time. Your 30-06 will do it all.
That said, I understand your need to get another rifle. The 280Rem will edge out the 270Win, but not by much. However, I do love 7mm bullets. The 280Rem will outclass your 30-06, but going back to what you said, your 30-06 has that shelf space already covered.
Then again, since your have the large game battery covered with what you already own, why not get a varmint rifle toy?
Surplus military 223Rem/5.56mm is still very cheap to buy. You can load and shoot a ton of ammo at very little cost. I pull military bullets, tweak the loads and either shoot them at the range for fun, or load them with Speer TNT bullets, for use on varmints.
Steven

I forgot to mention I do have a rock river m4 as well.

I am with you on the 7mm bullet I would prefer the 280 or 7mag to the .270 but neither are available in the model 70 which I really like and is why I was considering the 7mm-08 originally. If I bought the 270 I would probably end up getting a 280 or 280AI barrel put on it sometime in the future. Not sure it is legal to own both a 270 and 30-06, if you have one aren't you supposed to hate the other. :wink: :lol:

I think it may come down to the model 70 300 win sporter with the 26" barrel. The 270 wsm makes a compelling argument but I am not sure I can bring myself to buy one, just to new and fat for my taste, not a very good argument against it I know, but honest.

I would like to get the .257 but have always wanted it in the Mark V which is quite a bit higher than the model 70 or 700.

The other thing seems pretty nice these days is the Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22 paired with cheap ammo would get the most use by far and heck of a lot of fun. I am sans 22 since I gave my tricked out 10-22 to my father.

Idg397: "I would like to get the .257 but have always wanted it in the Mark V which is quite a bit higher than the model 70 or 700."

When it comes to rifle purchases, life is too short to be too concerned over initial cost. Figure the difference between the cost of the Model 70 and the Mark V and then, divide that difference in cost by 20. The answer will tell you how much extra you will have paid, spread over twenty years, to have the added joy of owning what you really did want and not what you settled for, because of that insignificant extra cost, as it appears, when spread over twenty years of use! If you want the Mark V and don't have the extra money today, save for another year.....or two years, but always, in my opinion, get what you really want in a rifle and don't settle for the cheaper piece.
I just purchased another rifle that I do not need, but wanted. I have taken two rifles that are good pieces, but ones that I have not picked up and used recently. I have them for sale on sites that sell rifles. Sooner or later one or both will sell. Even though I feel no guilt over buying the new rifle, I will feel even less guilt when the two rifles sell!! <8^))
Steven

ldg397,

I purchased three of the new Model 70s during this past year (270 WSM, 30-06 and 300 WSM). Each is, to be certain, in the Featherweight configuration. However, I'd purchased each of these again in a heartbeat. I handled a Model 70 Super Grade chambered in 300 WM recently, and briefly considered buying it. It is indeed a lovely rifle. The workmanship on it was very good indeed. If your heart is set on a Model 70, I would imagine that you would be happy with the 270 WSM or the 300 WM.

I'll just comment on the 270WSM - I have one in a Sako 75 and it is just a 270win on steroids - about 100fps or more faster (my pet load w/130BT @ 3250fps). Brass isn't too bad $, lots of bullets selections - pretty forgiving on working up any load.
I've loaded and killed deer with 130,140 & 150gns and elk with 150gn PT.
Very user friendly round with lots of uses. In my Sako , no feeding or ejecting problems.

I don't carry it as much as my current "project of the year" but it's my "GOTO Gun" when it's time to get serious.

I am another voter for the 270WSM. It is a 270WIN on steroids. I have a Model 70 Laminated 270WSM. Mine is one of the last New Haven Rifles and it is my go to rifle. I like the 270WSM alot. Pretty easy to load for and very flat shooting. Get one in the FWT, with the 24" barrel and man, you will have an excellent, flat shooting, hard hitting combo. Really, between my 7mm Rem Mag and the 270WSM, I couldn't tell a difference on how they kill game. But the 270 is an easier rifle to tote! Scotty

I'll go for the 300 Winchester Magnum. Definitely a step above all the cartridges that had been spoken to here. I don't think it's even arguable. You have to get to the RUM realm to upstage it. Just look at the ballistic and you'll see what I'm talking about. nough said!

I think you guys have helped and the answer is definately BOTH!! :lol:

I think a Mark V in .257 Weatherby and a 300 Win in a Model 70 now just which one will be first depends on the deal I can get I suppose.

I have to admit I might impulse buy a Model 70 in 270wsm if the mood strikes me in the moment of truth. I will either love it or have a better argument for not liking it. :oops:

ldg397":1uic9pd7 said:
I think you guys have helped and the answer is definately BOTH!! :lol:

I think a Mark V in .257 Weatherby and a 300 Win in a Model 70 now just which one will be first depends on the deal I can get I suppose.

I have to admit I might impulse buy a Model 70 in 270wsm if the mood strikes me in the moment of truth. I will either love it or have a better argument for not liking it. :oops:

You can't go wrong with either one. I've loaded for both, although I don't owned a 257 but my friend does. It all come down to how much you're willing to spend.

For a light carrying rifle, the Weatherby Mark V Accumark in 257 is hard to beat. Here's mine although it's chambered for 300 Weatherby.

Picture003-1.jpg

You can't go wrong with the Model 70 chambered for the venerable 300 Winchester Magnum either. Mine is the discontinued Laredo Long Range Hunter.
My go to rifle come season opener.

IMGP2360.jpg

First ten shot group at 100 yards

Picture009.jpg

ldg397,

Get both of them!

roysclockgun,

I'll have to try the divide the cost by 20 on my dream 375 H&H double rifle and run that by the wife unit and see if it works :lol:

Here’s what you do. You round up 20 deer and tie them to 20 different trees. You get all your buddies who think you should buy any given caliber (whatever that caliber may be) and you invite them over. March about 300 yards away from those 20 deer and assume a comfortable shooting position (I chose 300 yards because that’s a LONG WAYS [three football fields]…yep, there will always be the big fish story. I’m still waiting on someone to tell me they shot a deer while hunting in New Mexico and it turned out that the deer was standing in Ohio). Now, have everyone shoot a different deer w/ a different caliber. Finally, and this is the most important part, walk up to all the dead deer and study which deer is more dead and buy that caliber.

Kidding, sarcasm aside, I know your predicament. I’m trying to justify buying the Nosler 48 in the 6.5-284 Norma (I’d buy a 264 Win Mag today if they offered it…hint, hint, Nosler [seriously, I’d buy it]).
The bottom line, your 30-06 is fine for any situation. Hell, the 308 Win is a 1000 yard sniper round, has been for years, and the 30-06 beats it in ballistic performance (accuracy falls to the 308 according to http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/AccuracyFacts.asp).

What you are is a gun nut and that is perfectly normal. Heck, I’m typing on a Forum that is all gun/ammo related. Buy the one you feel in your mind is your best bet. Pay attention to the old timers, there are a few in this forum, even replied to this thread. You can’t go wrong w/their advice. GOOD LUCK!

I guess I am a bit confused. I have not seen where you said what you want the rifle to do for you. ??????? If you want something to have fun with in TX like coyote, Javelina & is fun to reload & deadly accurate, My Ruger 77 MKII in 223 fits all of those parameters. If you want the same chatacteristics & add deer to the mix the the venerable Win 243 is hard to beat. Both are fun & inexpensive to reload if that is your pleasure. I noted your comment about the 30-06, which is really what prompted me to comment. My first rifle, 56 years ago, was a Sprgfld 03 surplus rifle in 30-06. I have shot & owned various 06's and it is my "go to" gun for most big game from whietail to elk. I have also become a fan of Ruger firearms over the last 20 years. Hard to beat.....handgun or rifle.

How about this. Get a 6mm Remington for everything from varmints to large mule deer, sheep, and goats. Add a 338-06 for all larger stuff you want to use that great 225 grain or 250 grain Partition or AccuBond on! Those two rifles would pair up very well with the 30-06! Good luck. :wink:

I am in the same boat with my 06. It does many things well and when you compare to other cartridges out there the differences are mainly academic. Since I have started reloading with RL17 it has improve my velocities by over 100 FPS in several weight bullets.

For a flat shooting round I load the 168 grain Nosler Ballistic tip with .490 BC at 3012 FPS. Now compare that trajectory to many of supposedy flatter cartridges and you find this will run right with them to 500+ yards.

For a hard hitting round I load the 200 grain AccuBond .588 BC at 2720 fps. When I run the ballistics on this it is a solid elk round to 500+ yards. Compare that to most 7mm Rem mag or WM loads you will see it right with them.

My next rifle will probably be either a high velocity 6.5 mm or a 300RUM to get some serious separation from the 06.

Back