Dangerous Game bolt action...custom rifle bug bites

Hodgeman

Tell her when you saw the rifle that it was so beautiful, that you immediately thought of her and had to have it, just like you had to have her after you first saw her.

I visited Big Horn and they make not just beautiful rifles but extremely well made rifles. What caliber were you thinking if you went that way ?

at a distance the 340 Weatherby or 33 Nolser would be all the rifle anyone would need, Rodger, good point. I am a huge fan of the 257, 270, and 340 Weatherby, but have no experience with the Nosler calibers

Thankful Otter said:
I would like to ask a question, but I know I will get killed via pm, but I am sure a couple of you fellows will answer me honestly without putting me down

in reference to the last post by 26nosfan--why does the standard action make it a better rifle than my rifle with a 375 H & H action ? and in reference to Rodgers post----338 win to 33 Nosler- I know nothing about the 33 nosler, is it comparable to the 375 H & H in KNOCK DOWN power or just faster and at the range Mike is talking about when hunting bears--- up close and personal, why would one think that is better or maybe I just misunderstood Rodgers point. Hope I ask that in a way that neither offends or confuses.

In some rifles, a standard action is quite a bit lighter and cheaper than a full length magnum action. In some modern rifles like the Remington 700- they use the same action so it's moot. It's likely a holdover from Winchester 70s and Mauser 98s which came in several lengths.

The 33 Nosler is basically the WSM case stretched out to '06 length. My buddy's shoots 250gr ABs at 2650fps and it kills like a train near or far. It'd work for tangling with big critters but up close there might be better choices. My real gripe with the 33NOS and the .338 to some degree is that they all have long barrels to get higher velocities. The .375 suffers less when cut back to 20" for improved handling in the brush.

The .375 Ruger I had did great in a 20" barrel and was a pretty handy affair.

The Model 70’s are the same length bolt and receiver,standard, standard magnum, and H&H length. The H&H is a few ounces lighter, actually. They opened the mag well to accept a longer H&H magazine box, moved the bolt stop and shortened the ejector blade. This was done post - production by a factory gunsmith. I’ve read that Winchester lost money on every H&H magnum model 70 they ever sold.

e23edbdfd415c9fcabdcee721a4dca5f.jpg

I built this 20” 375 several years ago. 375 H&H WINCHESTER CLASSIC, cir down to 20” and a lightweight conversion done by extreme rifle works. They remove any excess weight and installed Brockman peeps and a MPI ultra light mountain stock. Just a shade over 6 pounds without the scope. It was an amazing rifle. I had to let it go along with a couple other custom rifles when my daughter was born to cover medical bills. The 20” 375 is very efficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't offer much advice on the big guns but it looks like you guys and gals got it covered. Some good looking rifles posted. (y)

Thebear_78":15i02cwr said:

I built this 20” 375 several years ago. 375 H&H WINCHESTER CLASSIC, cir down to 20” and a lightweight conversion done by extreme rifle works. They remove any excess weight and installed Brockman peeps and a MPI ultra light mountain stock. Just a shade over 6 pounds without the scope. It was an amazing rifle. I had to let it go along with a couple other custom rifles when my daughter was born to cover medical bills. The 20” 375 is very efficient.

Great looking rifle and one that got away.
So is this what you want to duplicate for your project?

hodgeman":msx4nwm2 said:
Thankful Otter said:
I would like to ask a question, but I know I will get killed via pm, but I am sure a couple of you fellows will answer me honestly without putting me down

in reference to the last post by 26nosfan--why does the standard action make it a better rifle than my rifle with a 375 H & H action ? and in reference to Rodgers post----338 win to 33 Nosler- I know nothing about the 33 nosler, is it comparable to the 375 H & H in KNOCK DOWN power or just faster and at the range Mike is talking about when hunting bears--- up close and personal, why would one think that is better or maybe I just misunderstood Rodgers point. Hope I ask that in a way that neither offends or confuses.

In some rifles, a standard action is quite a bit lighter and cheaper than a full length magnum action. In some modern rifles like the Remington 700- they use the same action so it's moot. It's likely a holdover from Winchester 70s and Mauser 98s which came in several lengths.

The 33 Nosler is basically the WSM case stretched out to '06 length. My buddy's shoots 250gr ABs at 2650fps and it kills like a train near or far. It'd work for tangling with big critters but up close there might be better choices. My real gripe with the 33NOS and the .338 to some degree is that they all have long barrels to get higher velocities. The .375 suffers less when cut back to 20" for improved handling in the brush.

The .375 Ruger I had did great in a 20" barrel and was a pretty handy affair.
[/quote]

Mike, I don't actually agree with the 338 Win needing a longer barrel to make useful speeds. My old 338 was a 22" barrel and I still was able to get 2750 with the 250's and 2650 with 275 grain bullets without too much drama. My current is a 25" barrel, but I wouldn't be hurt in the least with a 22" barrel on it.

While the 33 Nosler is pretty cool, I don't see enough gains over a properly loaded 338 Win and the 340 Wby stomps it in the real world.

Easy money seems to sit with the 375 Ruger and then the 416 Ruger. Decent cases, and if you housed it in a decent Long Action you'd get a heckuva package in my opinion.

I have ran a 35 Newton with a 20" barrel for a few years, but I cannot stand the recoil of it. Rebarreling to a 23-24" barrel when I work it over.. The 35's aren't a bad tweener and the 9.3 off the Ruger case would be another crusher..

I think most all of it comes down to using great bullets, with today's excellent bullets I think the gap between them all is even smaller than it ever has been..

Thebear_78":36jh51ba said:

That looks darned near perfect!

Guy

It was as close to perfect as I’ve had.

89b079771a0eba808471ddab97e01774.jpg

6732b22868f61ff5ad35f0b10cff2005.jpg

That Brockman pop up peep is excellent. Had a matching 458 Lott that went in the same incident.

9fbc9e03899b96e9576b3942bf9dc395.jpg

I agree with Guy, that is sweet. This might be "the" answer Mike

Bear, isn't it funny how we all, myself included, keep looking for the perfect rifle/caliber and low and behold it was invented 100 years ago.

Wow, about perfect is right. Those two work anywhere for anything you would ever hunt, sorry they had to go down the road.

Thebear_78":2rv3kihi said:
It was as close to perfect as I’ve had.

89b079771a0eba808471ddab97e01774.jpg

6732b22868f61ff5ad35f0b10cff2005.jpg

That Brockman pop up peep is excellent. Had a matching 458 Lott that went in the same incident.

9fbc9e03899b96e9576b3942bf9dc395.jpg

That really was slick setup. Just what I have in mind for my project.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Back