Dangerous Game Rifle Optics

TRIC

Beginner
Dec 14, 2005
I have been shooting my CZ 550 Safari 416 Rigby using only the install express sights. Thinking of mounting a scope to give my blurry vision a rest. Considering low variable power models. Any suggestions based on experience? Thanks...

Zeiss Diavari, 1.5-6 X 42. Cleanest glass you will ever look through. You can spend more and get illuminated reticles and other fancy doo-dads, but this is the ultimate scope for big bore rifles and dangerous game.

Zeiss Diavari, 1.5-6 X 42

Excellent glass, to be certain. I recently purchased a Kahles CSX 1.1-4 X 24 which will give the Divari a run for the money. It is surprisingly clean and about half the price of the Diavari.

The Zeiss would be nice.
I have the Leupold VXII 1-4 power on two of my rifles. If you are hunting dangerous game, you could opt for the Mark 4. I think they make on in a 1.5 to 5.

So long as it's low power, and rock solid, you will do fine.

Dr. Mike -
Is yours a 1 inch or 30mm tube, and what kind of reticle did you get? I looked at those before and found better pricing on the Victory scopes with 30mm tubes than the Kahles. We can get the 1.5-6X42 for around $1400 if you know where to look.

Mine is the 30 mm tube. The scope had been around the store for quite some time and I picked it up for a song (less than $1000). I am as impressed with the clarity on this scope as on a Swarovski, which shouldn't be surprising as they once shared technology.

I figured it might have been one sitting around that no one was willing to swallow the price of (and you just volunteered to help with cash flow at the shop :lol: ). That's a great price! Kahles makes outstanding optics and I have put them on several friends rifles. The only ones I have had a chance to shoot were the American models with 1 inch tubes, so I have not seen the best they have to offer.

I have two other Kahles in the one inch tubes (one on a .280 and one on a .300 WSM). I purchased these before they were discovered and the prices were still very reasonable. A few years ago when they were partnered with Swarovski, the prices went berserk. Prior to that, I was able to purchase them at a price that was only slightly more than a Leupold. I am very impressed with the scopes. Consequently, my sole Swarovski is also a 30mm tube. It is certainly top of the line. It was another similar situation that permitted me to snag it at a less than obscene price.

I have used a couple of leupold VxIII 1.5-5 scopes, one a 30mm with lighted reticle on both 375 H&H and 458 Lott. THey are a good scope as well as the Nightforce 1-4 and 2.5-10 scopes. Probablyt he toughest scope out there is the leupold 2.5x, they are great for big bores and wwill work nicely in most situations.

+ 1 on the zeiss. Then Swaro, and then Kahles, then a drop to Luepold.

I use ziess, swarovski and one kahles now. They perform in that order, but as mentioned above, the differences are pretty small, unless you are talking about very low light conditions. THen the 30mm ziess is the best that I have seen.
Hardpan

you need to look at eye relief also
very important on the rifle
I would take a serious look at
Swarovsky Z-6 scope
the 1 to 6x has a 100 ft field of view
and most important
look at the 1-6 x EE
extended eye relief it has 4.75 just great for heavy recoiling rifle
again 1-6x EE

Back