Dead deer walking

owenv

Beginner
Jun 24, 2007
Talk about a 1 in a million picture.

Ever been walking through the woods at night and had the sensation that something was following....

This picture is from Montana , where someone set out a motion sensor camera to see if any big bucks were passing in the area.

deaddeerwalking.jpg

I would have liked to have seen the next 3 seconds after the flash went off!

That is scary, just think if that cat can walk up behind that deer without a deer knowing he is there, don't think he can't walk up behind you or some unsuspecting hiker. :shock:

Man, I hope the flash of the camera didn't spoil that cat's dinner plans...That is too cool! There was an article in Field & Stream a few years ago about a woman who decided to try hunting (previously she was at least mildly anti-hunting) and she went west for an elk hunt. Anyway, she was trekking through the dark one morning without her headlamp, and got nervous so she flicked it on behind her guide. No big deal, saw the trail in front of her, cut the light off and kept walking. Later in the day, coming back down the mountain, the guide sees cat tracks, and supposedly recognizes the pattern of walking as a stalking posture ready to pounce - right behind her footprints where she turned her headlamp on to see the trail...Not sure if it's really true, but it was in F&S! That picture really is great. A little spooky, but great.

Is that same lady that when it came down to it could not shoot an elk?

Corey

That is an old hoax. It was being passed around in SC 3 or 4 months back with someone in the middle of the state saying it was made on his property. If you look in the lower right of the photo (aginst the log) you can see where the date was covered over with red. Interesting shot.

Some food for though .... next time you are treking in through the dark early morning or late evening headed to that honey hole way back off the beaten path in the back forty and you hear an unexplained noise very near you .... just remember this photo ...... and if nothing else happens and after the hair settles back down on the back of your neck you can safely head on in to the honey hole knowing you were not in the position of the deer in this photo.

I don't fault her for not making the shot. It's a personal issue. She did everything you have to do up to the opportunity, and because she chose not to take the shot, she's no less a hunter than I am. I have chosen to pass on shots before for a variety of reasons, and then again I've chosen to harvest game as well. For someone who isn't a hunter to work through all of that, and then decide not to take the shot, doesn't bother me. If I recall correctly, she walked away with a different respect for hunting, what it's really about, and why we do it, regardless of her decision not to pull the trigger. I'll try to stop short of hijacking the thread here, but the issue isn't whether everyone is a hunter, but whether they understand what it is and respect those of us who are. Cool pic, still. I wonder if it's photoshopped at all other than the date? I'm not savvy enough to tell.

Very cool picture.

I had that feeling once or twice in a cedar swamp and a mile away from my truck.

JD338

dubyam":2wvjk6n7 said:
I don't fault her for not making the shot. It's a personal issue. She did everything you have to do up to the opportunity, and because she chose not to take the shot, she's no less a hunter than I am. I have chosen to pass on shots before for a variety of reasons, and then again I've chosen to harvest game as well. For someone who isn't a hunter to work through all of that, and then decide not to take the shot, doesn't bother me. If I recall correctly, she walked away with a different respect for hunting, what it's really about, and why we do it, regardless of her decision not to pull the trigger. I'll try to stop short of hijacking the thread here, but the issue isn't whether everyone is a hunter, but whether they understand what it is and respect those of us who are. Cool pic, still. I wonder if it's photoshopped at all other than the date? I'm not savvy enough to tell.

I think you took my post the wrong way. I was not trying to say it was bad of her to pass on the shot, just not what I expected at the end. I can certanly respect her decision and like you I have passed on many shots myself.

Corey

bullet":124n5v2n said:
That is scary, just think if that cat can walk up behind that deer without a deer knowing he is there, don't think he can't walk up behind you or some unsuspecting hiker. :shock:

That is how they lost a boy scout in Colorado a few years back.

C.Smith":16s75vbm said:
I think you took my post the wrong way. I was not trying to say it was bad of her to pass on the shot, just not what I expected at the end. I can certanly respect her decision and like you I have passed on many shots myself.

Corey

Roger that. My bad. Thought you were dogging her. Seems you and I are of the same mind. It was an unexpected twist at the end, but kind of cool that she 'gets it' enough to know it's more than the trigger time that we leave the warmth (and safety) of the house for every fall.

Back