Dealer said "got one left" ...

Kodiak

Handloader
Oct 4, 2006
"you want It?"

I ask what is "it"? well, "A Win. 70 EW SS, fluted .270 wsm" he answered.

I said I'd be there at first light on Tuesday, won't hurt to go look, right? Maybe pick it up and feel it, just a little.

I have one .270 wsm already, a Vanguard Wby. but I have a feeling the 70 may be a cut above.

Jim

If I was right handed all I'd have would be model 70's.
I don't believe you can go wrong with a model 70.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I've had two, one from New Haven and my current one from Florence. I had great success with either; but the current one is great. Fit and finish were excellent and it does deliver the goods.

Oh man, hope you love it Jim. Huge fan of the 270 WSM and an EW would make a seriously awesome carrying rifle.

I didn't like the EW factory B&C stock it was way to thick for my tastes in forearm and wrist area. I have had my EW three years now and it resides in a McMillan stock now and love the rifle. I don't know if the newer generations have slimmed down the stock any or not. I found mine used in the regular .270 but the WSM is on my radar and the right deal comes around I might have to get one.

Update;

Been to the range and here's a target results from the new Mod. 70, .270wsm
411733589.jpg

Nosler AB 140 , 3 shots, 100 meters, 65.0/ RL22, WLRM primer.

It'll do,

I shot a final group today thru the Win. 70.
411866941.jpg

Looks ok.

.270WSM Mod. 70 EW rifle
140 gr. AB
64.0 gr of RL-22
R9.5M
5 shots @ 100 mtrs.

Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout! Excellent riflery. Oh, yeah, that load will do. (y)

Jim that is just plain scary :wink: that is some excellent riflery.
I believe you are going to be spoiled very quickly.

Blessings,
Dan

Been too windy for 200-300-400 yd. tests of this load. Next week forecasts are good, so I'll take the chronograph then. I also want to try the 130 AB and other brands of bullets I have.

The barrel break-in was done as described in other texts and right now there are around 100+ bullets gone thru the barrel. It gets better as it goes!

The proof is in the previous pictures that's for sure! Nice shooting, and a nice looking stock, I haven't seen anything like that from Winchester. Reminds me of the H&S type stocks Remington has used in the past with the white webbing.

Back