decomissioning primers?

muleman

Handloader
May 12, 2009
Long story - short version. I bought a new rifle and worked up some loads and went to the range. The gun didn't go boom! Thought it might be me - turned out to be an overbored chamber. The rifle has been fixed by factory but I have 23 rounds that have a dented primer that didn't go off and won't fire in the gun. I've pulled the bullets and powder. I'd like to save the brass but .... How can I deactivate the priming compound? Am I playing with fire and just consider the loss as furthering my education? :oops:

I've always been really careful and just deprimed them with my decapping die. If you had one, a univesal decapping die would probably be best. Less of a confined space if something did happen.

In another thread, someone mentioned something you could soak them in, I just don't remember what it was.

Just deprime them. IF one goes off it will not hurt anything and only give a small pop noise. I had to remove a primer in my 50bmg and it only made a pop when it went off. The 50bmg primers are quite a bit larger than a normal rifle/pistol primer. I have done many and only had a couple pop on me. Just go slow because if you quickly hammer them that is when they tend to pop.
Do not worry about them. Just deprime the cases you need to.

Thanks guys! I thought I may have to soak them in soapy water or oil - I'll just be slow and gentle! :) FYI - The rifle was a Kimber 84m in .308 and I have it shooting accubonds into less than 3/4" at 100yds! Can't wait for Namibia! :grin:

Absolutey, just push them out, CAREFULLY :!: or, soak them with that magic liquid, H2O :lol: :lol: Seriously, I have removed many primers by "GENTLY" pushing them out with the decapping pin. Been reloading for 40 years & never had a problem doing this, but again, be GENTLE when doing it :)

just chamber and fire them outside. no pop in the die and no extra lead styphnate in your house.

+1 on the carefully deprime them. I bought 300 pieces of Federal brass for my 338RUM and they all came primed. Since they were the standard Fed 215 primer, I didn't want to use them as I use the GM215M. I just ran them through the F/L sizer to size the new brass and deprimed them just like fired brass. No problems.

wd-40... I read in a American rifleman magazine. And once they dry, don't remember how long, they can be used again. Wash case free of solvent when finished. I usually use hot water and dish soap in a container and then rinse with hot water. Never had a problem.

While petroleum products will render primers harmless, be careful to remove all traces of the oil, WD40, etc. from the case as it can contaminate powder, creating a surprise. A universal depriming die is probably the best way to handle a large number of primed cases. Careful decapping works very well. There is nothing wrong with firing the primed cases in a safe place.

DrMike":3945pvcs said:
While petroleum products will render primers harmless, be careful to remove all traces of the oil, WD40, etc. from the case as it can contaminate powder, creating a surprise. A universal depriming die is probably the best way to handle a large number of primed cases. Careful decapping works very well. There is nothing wrong with firing the primed cases in a safe place.

Unless you live in NJ in a duplex.

Back