Dedicated 22 Scope

ajvigs

Handloader
Nov 1, 2012
I am looking into a dedicated 22 scope for the 22 I will be getting for Christmas. I will be using it to practice all of the shooting positions, as well as some small-game hunting.

Two scopes have caught my eye;
Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 4x32 and Leupold FX! Rimfire 4x28

Thoughts/Suggestions?

Both are excellent scopes.
My Remington M541HB-T has a Leupold VX II 4-12x40mm with dials.

JD338

My Remington T-Bolt wears a Leupold FX1 4X28. It has served me well for quite a few years. Before I picked up this rifle, I had a Remington 572 that wore a similar scope. I had it for many years, and it also served me quite well.

My 10/22 wears a weaver 2.5x8 rimfire. Great scope and will not break the bank.

Does the size of the objective lens matter on a 22? And the same about magnification? As long as it will enable me to hit a see an 8" bull from 25-100 yds while practicing the 4 basic shooting positions I will be happy.

At the effective distances for a .22 LR, the objective lens is not critical.

The size of the lens, in concert with the magnification, gives you the exit pupil of the scope. That's the size of the picture you'll get at your eye. From there, glass quality and coatings determine how bright and clear the scope is. In the case of the 4x scopes, anything 20mm and up should be pretty good, as the adult human eye will only open about 5-5.5mm in total darkness, as I understand it. With a 4x20mm scope, the exit pupil is 4/20=5mm. For a 4x32mm, it's 4/32=8mm. Either is going to be fine, unless you try to shoot a lot in extremely low light. If that's the case, you may wish to go with a better scope, in a non-rimfire version.

Magnification is subjective, as some guys like a big picture in their ocular, and some guys like a smaller picture. You are correct in your initial assessment of needing something to clearly discern your target at expected distances. I've been shooting smaller bulls at 100yds with a 30-30WCF Win94 lever gun wearing a 4x scope for 30yrs. It's not hard, and with the larger bull, it's even easier.

ajvigs":288syic7 said:
For cost effectiveness, is the Nikon a good value?
I believe Nikon to be a decent value in relative terms. ...and as DrMike said, you should be able to use it with confidence.

As much as I dislike Bushnell, I have one that came with one of my 10/22's and I love it. It has a cheesy AO dial at the end of the scope, but it works great on that rim fire rifle. Its a 3x9 x 40 if that matters.

Back