Desert tech SRS A1 338 Lapua

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
I picked up one of my bucket list rifles today. It is a Desert Tech SRS A1 with 26” 338 lapua barrel. It’s going to replace my Christensen MPR 338Lm. With the only 1” less barrel length at 39” the SRS IS MUCH shorter than my Christensen that was 50” long without the suppressor and 57” long with. This will make it much easier to hunt with than the MPR. The SRS is about a pound and a quarter heavier but balances a little better with the shorter over all length.

Next up will be to get a 22” 308 conversion kit and have a 40” supressed hunting package. Once it cools down tonight I’ll take it out and see how it shoots. I’m expecting great things.

Attachments

• IMG_5221.jpeg
    IMG_5221.jpeg
    575.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3224.jpeg
    IMG_3224.jpeg
    274.3 KB · Views: 14
Nice little compact rifle.
What’s your bullet of choice for the 338 LM?

I have a bunch of 300gr accubonds from my MPR load. I’m hoping they will shoot as good in the SRS. I think that bullet will be a hammer on game

I took the SRS out today. It dit not disappoint. My 300gr AccuBond loads didn’t shoot quite as good as they did I’m my MPR but still printed a pretty good group just under an inch at 100 yards. I had a few factory federal 300gr matchkings that shot very well. 3 inside a tiny little cluster at 100 yards.

I think there is some real potential here for a good hunting load with the 300gr accubonds. I really need to get the barrel retreaded so I can use my supressor. The SRS came with a 3/4x24 thread and I need to get it trimmed down to 5/8x24.

I enjoyed shooting the rifle, the trigger is great and while a little different than a standard bolt it wasn’t clumsy to run. Recoil was brisk but not unmanageable.

I think I will pick up a 22” 308 conversion kit to go along with the 338 LM.

300 AB was the first bullet I ran out of my 338 L. I can see the bolt back by your ear can be a learning curve.

I got thread adapter for the SRS. Overal length with supressor is 46”. A much more manageable length than the 57” my MPR was. The balance is also improved with the supressor weight. Im looking forward to loading up some more ammo for it to get back to the range.

Attachments

• IMG_5295.jpeg
    IMG_5295.jpeg
    474.5 KB · Views: 8
I got a chance to get back to the range with the desert tech. The supressor made for a big improvement. After rezeroing I shot a few decent groups at 300 yards. 300gr AccuBond @ 2697fps with us869 in nosler brass.

I think this will make a very good load for big game hunting. I might just have to take this as my primary moose rifle this year.

Attachments

• IMG_5328.jpeg
    IMG_5328.jpeg
    325.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5331.jpeg
    IMG_5331.jpeg
    586.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5330.jpeg
    IMG_5330.jpeg
    230.6 KB · Views: 8
Moses in heaven that thing shoots. And the shooter did just as well. Good on you.

I got a chance to get back to the range with the desert tech. The supressor made for a big improvement. After rezeroing I shot a few decent groups at 300 yards. 300gr AccuBond @ 2697fps with us869 in nosler brass.

I think this will make a very good load for big game hunting. I might just have to take this as my primary moose rifle this year.
Well done with the Accubonds. 300gr Nosler CC are the cats meow in my 338L on targets.

Back