Did you ever screw up?

dd.payson1018":1cwmpkap said:
I grabbed the wrong box of bullets shoving .308 diameter bullets into .277 cases.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You were just trying to load the case properly, as a 30-06 of course! (y)

KIDDING!

Guy

I have been reloading since the late 60's, none of the events mentioned here surprise me. Lately I have decided that I am going to cut my costs on sizing lubricant. This so far as cost me postage to RCBS twice, three other stuck cases that I was able to remove myself, and last but not least, a broken decapper. Which cost me more money... I think I will go back to being more liberal with my sizing lubricant, it will most likely be cheaper and cost me less downtime. Oh! I almost forgot the match grade seating die, that I broke. :oops: :oops:

I feel better now. Keep it coming.

My biggest goof (yeah, there are many others) was not having the 10 grain weight set fully in the slot of my scale. (I seat my bullets, then crimp them instead of length sorting the bullets first).

I ended up with a 6 grain over charge on a .308! (Yes, I weighed them when I took them apart). The bullet wanted to push back out which made me wonder why....

Learning 1: It is good to crimp in a separate operation
Learning 2: I am not smart enough to use a progressive reloading machine.

I dont even know where to start haha. I wish I had a dollar for every time I forget to close the powder funnel on the chargemaster, only to watch powder pour in the floor next time I fill it up. Having two different powders for trying loads in one cartridge and emptied RL16 in a jug of IMR4451. Worst by far was trying to load up some 6.5 CM roumds and my daughter drove her little battery car in the room and hit table scale was on, and it never even registered in my mind. Next day shooting groups blew my first primer and watch smoke boil out of the action. I have not stuck a case yet but im very sure its coming lol. Been lucky most of the time thankfully. Sometimes you get in a rush and and make a mistake. Happens to the best of us.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Elkman":fv0ebaxf said:
I have been reloading since the late 60's, none of the events mentioned here surprise me. Lately I have decided that I am going to cut my costs on sizing lubricant. This so far as cost me postage to RCBS twice, three other stuck cases that I was able to remove myself, and last but not least, a broken decapper. Which cost me more money... I think I will go back to being more liberal with my sizing lubricant, it will most likely be cheaper and cost me less downtime. Oh! I almost forgot the match grade seating die, that I broke. :oops: :oops:

Elkman, I'm not picking on you here, so please don't take it that way. But I've often wished some of us could get together to compare methods, procedures, and tricks in the reloading process. There would be steps along the way for each of us I'm sure where we said why didn't I think of that, or that step is better, faster, or both.

I have to say I cannot relate to your post. I currently have a 2 oz bottle of Hornady case sizing lube that cost me maybe 5 or 6 dollars and is still over half full. The empty primer packs I have in a shopping bag tells me I've loaded 3,000 rounds with that bottle, so the cost for those 3000 rounds has been less than $3.

TackDriver284":2vjsg6d8 said:
Just remembered that my safe was kind of full and wanted to squeeze another rifle in, but would not work unless I removed three bolts out of three rifles and I was able to squeeze it in,,,,several weeks later I grabbed two of those three rifles. At the shooting range, 30 miles away, I pulled out those rifles out of the cases and remembered that the bolts were still in the safe. [emoji38]
THAT is when I started to put some Paracord around the bolts and hang them from the barrels.
Was a short hunting trip...

Ah, and I tried to reload 8x68S for a friend.
Carefully at first, because there a cases with berdan primers.
Worked fine.
Until it did not and bend the deprimer rod.
Well. He gave me mixed brass and I did not check...

Tack Driver,
I am writing this regarding your statement. Personally, I can not think of anyone who has not screwed up. I believe mistakes teach us to be better at our aspirations and in life. The guy who retaught me hand loading, admitted that he also forgot to seat primers before charging a few rounds. If anyone ever states that they have not made mistakes I would not believe them. We all screw up.

Back