Divided Efforts

KinleyWater

Handloader
Jun 15, 2019
This may come across as a bit of a rant, and that is not intended, but here goes:

I am a little miffed about the introduction of 30 Super Carry. I am NOT trying to debate the relative strengths of the round, or if a need for it exists, but rather say that with the shortage of components at the moment, that those primers could have been put to better use either in more established loadings (9x19, .380, 38SPL, etc.) or in direct to the hand load market.

The intellectual side of me understands that the development of this new cartridge likely took many years and preceded the current scarcity, and that contractual obligations, and the budgeted ROI probably drive the timing of the introduction (after all, new ammunition does no good without new firearms to use it in and vice versa). The intellectual side of me also understands that while marketed to the consumer as more rounds=better (and there is some merit to that argument), the reality is that a slightly smaller diameter bullet uses less lead, less copper jacketing material, less brass, and is propelled by less powder. That means lower cost to manufacture (once R&D costs are figured in), and a higher profit margin.

To that end, I looked at MidWay (not an endorsement) and found that (out of stock) Federal American Eagle 30 SC 100gr FMJ costs $34.49/ box of 50, while Federal AE 9x19 115gr FMJ was $22.99/ box of 50. Admittedly, this is a sample size of 1, but I have complete confidence that it is reflective of the overall market. In the end, I worry that this is a trend we will see more of: the pursuit of highly polished mediocrity to maximize profits in the face of long-term dwindling supply.

Okay, off the soapbox, my feet are tired.

I hear what you're saying but marketing a new gun and/or cartridge is going to add revenue to that company. I would think that the ammunition manufacturers have agreements in place with component suppliers to keep production going, especially for a new introduction.
As consumers you are correct, we loose out on the limited capacity. We don't have the buying power to get the attention of the component suppliers.
Unfortunately, it's business.

JD338

Last edited:
Heck I hadn’t even heard of the round. Want to bet it becomes the new bear protection darling?

Friend,
Not only that but I’m betting it works extremely well on zombies without even a single silver bullet.

We all know that the guy that carries the 30 SC becomes irresistible to the opposite sex, becomes the hero of every child, and gives one super human strength like we’ve never seen. It will also take the T-Rex in an agitated state and no matter where shot the T-Rex will fall over DOA.

If you’re not carrying the 30 SC you are risking your life as nothing else will stop ground squirrel, and enraged brown bear, or a congress of zombies. Ronco has them on special this week for $19.95 with a free yearly range pass.

Vince

Friend,
Not only that but I’m betting it works extremely well on zombies without even a single silver bullet.

We all know that the guy that carries the 30 SC becomes irresistible to the opposite sex, becomes the hero of every child, and gives one super human strength like we’ve never seen. It will also take the T-Rex in an agitated state and no matter where shot the T-Rex will fall over DOA.

If you’re not carrying the 30 SC you are risking your life as nothing else will stop ground squirrel, and enraged brown bear, or a congress of zombies. Ronco has them on special this week for $19.95 with a free yearly range pass.

Vince
I had no idea it was a "congress" of zombies. I might have guessed it was a "cemetery" of zombies, or perhaps an "eatery" of zombies. There is so much to learn, and much of it will eventually be taught on this site!:geek:

I read an article on it the other day. A new idea to throw at someone's perceived problem of small, concealed carry firearms. Time will tell if it is a hit with the shooting world (think Winchester short mags). Dan.

It happens.
I miss bitterroot , but not A square
I am still looking for the animal that the Creed can knock down better then the Swede
I miss The Highwaymen, but some likes "new" country
I dont want to know any thing else about the Depp/Heard marriage, but they keep putting updates at the top of the page. Which is amazing to me as Russia/Ukraine are fighting a war -----As soon as Musk buys twitter, suddenly there is a need for a new government agency to make sure no disinformation is on social media . The government policing mis information. -----which is an oxymoron IMHO----but the lead story in Depp/Heard

Is anyone else here old enough to remember Fiddler on the Roof. "we have waited all our life for the messiah to return" "wouldn't NOW be a good time /"

Too true, April. Yes, my memory appears to be working quite well, allowing me to remember a more pleasant time when we weren't required to know all the dirty habits of those who are supposed to be our betters.

Again, my intent wasn't to discuss the merits of the cartridge - though I read and tend to concur with the criticisms I see here (especially the humorous ones). It just seems to me that this is nothing more than an attempt to lower production costs (using less physical material per round) while raising prices to the consumer. I just think that we, the consumer, would be better served if ammunition manufacturers concentrated their efforts on calibers that people actually own, instead of inventing new ones.

If I were make a prediction, I would expect that this will be a commercial failure. Regardless of the performance of the round (of which I am skeptical), we are in an economic period with real inflation, and I do not think there will be a lot of people willing (or able) to spend a lot of money on a new handgun for a new (unproven) cartridge. Who knows. If five years, I may be posting on how amazing this new development has been. Until then, I'll just be wondering where I can find a box of replacement carry ammo for my 9.

It happens.
I miss bitterroot , but not A square
I am still looking for the animal that the Creed can knock down better then the Swede
I miss The Highwaymen, but some likes "new" country
I dont want to know any thing else about the Depp/Heard marriage, but they keep putting updates at the top of the page. Which is amazing to me as Russia/Ukraine are fighting a war -----As soon as Musk buys twitter, suddenly there is a need for a new government agency to make sure no disinformation is on social media . The government policing mis information. -----which is an oxymoron IMHO----but the lead story in Depp/Heard

Is anyone else here old enough to remember Fiddler on the Roof. "we have waited all our life for the messiah to return" "wouldn't NOW be a good time /"
Well said April. And yes, I do remember Fiddler on the Roof. Ah, the good ol' days,..

JD338

Back