does anyone necksize for the wsm's?

warden1

Beginner
Feb 15, 2006
i have lee collet dies for several boltactions, and they work great. i've been experiencing some problems with my hornady full-length size dies for .300wsm and was thinking about trying the lee collet die in this chambering.

You can certainly try neck sizing your WSM cartridge, but most shooters have had very little success chambering neck sized brass in their WSM's. Most have to full full length size (like a half turn cam over on the press) to ensure reliable chambering. My Model 70 Super Shadow in .270WSM is in that category. Anything less than complete full length sizing, and it requires a lot of force to chamber, if the rounds will chamber at all. Certainly suggest trying to chamber the sized brass before loading it, unless pulling bullets and dumping powder is one of your favorite past times.

I can't speak for the WSM's but I neck size my 338 RUM without any problems.

JD338

I have a 25 and 300 WSM, neck size for both. In fact, I have never had to FL or PFL for either caliber. Both rifles feed and chamber without a problem.Rick.

I have a25wssm and a 270 wsm. I have been using the Lee collet dies for both and it has worked fine. The only problems have been that I can't reload the factory cases for the 270 had to use new brass. They all have been alright and reusable. The factory stuff was to hot for that rifle. Haven't had any problems with the 25.

Tries it on my 300 WSM.......but had problems chambering the round. Went back to FL resizing and setting the shoulder back a tad.......much better!

IMR 4831 @ 69.0
Fed 215GM Primers
Fed Nickle Case
165 Sierra BTHP

I necksize my 300wsm exclusively. I have done this ever since I tried to fl with my hornady dies. I think they must have made a bad run. Anyway, my necksized cases worked for 12 loadings and then got a little too much stretch to reload in the gun. Of course as with any neck sized case, be sure to check any cartriges before leaving for the deer woods.

My 7mm WSM requires that I set my dies to cam over. Anything less and I have cases that will not chamber.

FWIW, the guys on ShortMags.Org recommend against neck sizing because of the difficult chambering issue.

A rifle specific problem for sure. Many of the first Win/Browning WSMs had feeding issues. Feel sure there are some floating around that have not had the feeding problems repaired.Rick.

My 270wsm requires all the fl sizing I can give it, otherwise i cannot close the bolt without considerable force. From what I understand it is common with wsms that you have to bump the shoulder to ensure chambering

I shoot a .325 WSM and neck size only. No problems whatsoever. As long as you reload them for the same rifle that fired them before, there should be no issues. 8)

Nothing to lose. I did this in my 270 wsm and 7mm.

I have always FL my 270WSM brass, as I have plenty. If I need more due to sizing issues, I'll buy more brass.

I think it is more of a concern for accuracy...not economics.

Back