Donor Rifles?

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
Quick question, where is the best place to find a donor rifle? I'm looking for a Rem 700 or Savage that I can rebarrel myself? I would really like a short action with a 308 bolt face. Any suggestions?

I have picked up a couple of donor rifles at pawn shops over the years. If they have had it on the shelf a while they are way more prone to lowball offers. You can find good donors for pretty cheap most of the time.

Well, I don't know about your jurisdiction, so consult your local laws. That said, I would suggest yard sales, estate sales, and the like. After that, consider pawn shops. With Christmas approaching fast, people will put firearms of all sorts into pawn to get fast cash for gifts. It's a good way to get a lot of things at a good price: tools, guns, archery equipment.

Sometimes the best place to look is in the back of your gun safe.....
Used market now is still over priced especially for used Remington's almost better off hitting a box store and buying one brand new as a donor.

Many people like the simplicity of the Savage for rebarreling because of their barrel nut. Others prefer the Rem 700 for its availability of aftermarket parts for just about everything when customizing a rifle.
Really boils down to your priorities for your build, and what your end result needs to be to satisfy your priorities on the build.
Personally, I prefer the Remington, but that is just me.

Sources will vary based on your location...LGS, pawn shop, buy and sell, gun shows, etc.
Price will depend upon your budget that you have set, or are willing to pay to get what you are looking for. As noted above, prices are generally crazy right now, but there are still bargains to be had, if you look long enough, and/or wide enough.

You're best best is buying an aftermarket R700 footprint action. Remington has had so many iterations of QA/QC over the years that donor actions are a total crap shoot and frequently total crap. Given the inflated prices on the used market it is an expensive gamble.

One of the new aftermarket actions will be better, in every respect except initial price.

Or you could just go with a Nosler M21 308 Win and ride off into the sunset. It's loaded with features like a Mack Brothers Action, fluted bolt, Shielen match grade barrel, Wyatt box, McMillan Hunters Edge stock, picatiney mounts and Trigger Tech trigger.
Mine shoots in the .3's.

JD338

Or you could just go with a Nosler M21 308 Win and ride off into the sunset. It's loaded with features like a Mack Brothers Action, fluted bolt, Shielen match grade barrel, Wyatt box, McMillan Hunters Edge stock, picatiney mounts and Trigger Tech trigger.
Mine shoots in the .3's.

JD338
But what fun is just buying one off the shelf lol😀

Mine shoots in the .3's.

JD338
^^^ This ^^^

I really love my M21! You can't build one of these for what they charge.

Mine shoots in the .3's.

JD338
Damn you, JD! I just had to go look at Nosler's page, now I'm pining for a .280 Ackley...

Back