Don't think I paid too much.

Muntjac":1osnq6ob said:
I have a 257 Roberts built on an FNH Commercial 98. Like it a lot.

Munty

FN's are nice. Got one made by FN in a JC Higgins M50. I'd of been perfectly happy if this rifle was a standard Roberts, but wont fuss that somebody made it an AI. I wont push it hard so standard Roberts at + P pressures probably runs right with it. Brass life is probably the one advantage.

cloverleaf":6x9coo79 said:
Sheez- Shade- I just realized it was YOUR post. :shock: :lol: I swear, the coolest stuff follows you home!! Another nice one. CL

CL, I wish they just followed me home. The buggers always require some hard earned cash first. :lol: I need to think about thinning out a few.

Super deal pard! My very first Wildcat was a rechambered 257 AI in the Mod 700 Classic ( 1982) I had it set up with a crush fit chamber, and shot 2 boxes of factory loads for brass. It had a long Remington throat, and long action, so I seated the old Hornady 120 HP way out there! ha. I had plenty of room for IMR 4350. Never clocked it, but it was my first Ackley and I worked up to slightly flattened primers, then back of a tad, never had a hint of heavy bolt lift. I also shot that 40rds of brass w/o ever losing one. I had a 25-06 equivalent ( or so close it didn't matter) All I shot was crows with it, feathers and yellow guts! ha I sold it to a friend and he killed several WT back in East Tx. That old Hornady 120HP was a real killer, worked on everything! Enjoy your treasure my friend! You do GOOD!

preacher":10z4ih3s said:
Super deal pard! My very first Wildcat was a rechambered 257 AI in the Mod 700 Classic ( 1982) I had it set up with a crush fit chamber, and shot 2 boxes of factory loads for brass. It had a long Remington throat, and long action, so I seated the old Hornady 120 HP way out there! ha. I had plenty of room for IMR 4350. Never clocked it, but it was my first Ackley and I worked up to slightly flattened primers, then back of a tad, never had a hint of heavy bolt lift. I also shot that 40rds of brass w/o ever losing one. I had a 25-06 equivalent ( or so close it didn't matter) All I shot was crows with it, feathers and yellow guts! ha I sold it to a friend and he killed several WT back in East Tx. That old Hornady 120HP was a real killer, worked on everything! Enjoy your treasure my friend! You do GOOD!

Thank you. Always an eenie meeny miney moe in these situations. That price was venturing into the most I wanted to pay for that gun without knowing any details until I got it home. I figured with the set of dies and Nosler brass that came with it I was buying the rifle for $500.

Bought it for the stock, the action it was in, and the cartridge. Could tell it had an aftermarket trigger......plus. Hinged floorplate....plus. Didn't know it was bedded....plus. Stamped on the crown of the front receiver ring 1936. So a pre-war 98 Mauser which is the good ones guys are after. Plus. Shoots real good....plus. But you never know, I could've bought a really nice stocked pig in a poke. As it turns out it's a heck of a nice rifle at that price in my view. Could make money on it but I wont.

Your are "preaching to the choir" on that, ha. Several years ago I paid a very small amount for a "pre-64 M70 original 257 Bob that has been rechambered to the Ackley! When I got it, the throat had been shot out, the entire bore was "fire-checkered (checked?) terrible. Bubbafied deluxe! So "gamble" is right, ha. From what I learned much later, Ackley rounds I worked up ,just short of flattened primers, had to be running around 72K! Never had an issue though, thank the Lord! And Texans who use 25-06s kill all kinds of game with the 87gr bullets! I was "going to" try them but that old 120 Hornady hollow point was awesome, ha. Have a bal Pard!

I think you have a heckuva nice rifle. Always liked the 257 Roberts. Well balanced devil.

Looks great! I'm a sucker for a model 98. Very interesting caliber too!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Back