Drop-in Synthetic Rifle Stocks

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
Out of necessity I need an economically priced Synthetic Drop-in rifle stock. Its for a Charles Daly Long-action Mauser by Zastava.

I am fully prepared to have to glass bed it etc. but am wondering if anyone has any preferences for brand "x" versus brand "y?"

Thanks -

Dale

When you say economical your asking for trouble since you get what you pay for and some of these cheap stocks material won't let bedding compound adhere to it. Ramline and Choate have some cheap stocks, Bell&Carlson have some of the better inexpensive stocks with their top of the line going for about $249 with a full bedding block and Pachmyer also makes one for around the same price or less but I'm not sure on that one. If it were mine I would put it in a B&C Medalist which you can pick up for around $250 plus shipping.

300 or less I would either do the Bell and Carlson Medalist or the Hogue with the full bedding block. Either work very well. I have both.
Frequently with an older or custom rifle, the Hogue will be more of a drop-in. I still skim bed them even with the block. Better for full contact.
The Hogues are rubberized (sp?). Some don't care for the way they feel but I like em. :grin:
My personal preference is for the full block stocks as they have aluminum extensions into the forearm and do not flex the way some others do.

I said Pachmyer but meant Hogue in my previous answer to your question. I think Hogue is what most of the OME synthetic stocks are in use by most manufactures today and got away from the old Ramline plastic stock.

For the $ it's often hard to beat a Boyd's stock if you don't mind laminate and they make one to fit.

Hogues aren't bad, but realize you can't bed to the rubber coating. I have one on a Vanguard build, and bedded the recoil lug and rear screw bottom, but not the action. That one is the pillar bedded model, not full length, and it worked out very well.

Bell & Carlsons can vary depending on the model. I have zero experience with them and a mauser style action. Some of them are good, some require a lot of work to fit.

Some years ago I put the old 1917 .30-06 rifle in a Bell & Carlson fiberglass stock. It took a little bit of bedding, but has really worked out well.

The stock design, in addition to the nice recoil pad, really took the sting out of the recoil for my son. He took to that rifle so well after the new stock... I have trouble getting it back from him!

Guy

I have a Bell and Carlson Medalist for my M70 and really like it. It took very little to get it to fit right. Less than 10 min with some sandpaper and a razor. I do not have it bedded and it is a featherweight barrel. The stock certainly helped bring back accuracy to that gun, as I think the original walnut stock was a little warped. All in all, it's a light stock with no flex and it didn't break the bank.

The warp of a walnut stock is why I am getting a synthetic drop in for this rifle. The walnut stock is simply beautiful but it doesn't shoot straight. Not a simple fix to get it shooting again either unfortunately.

Thanks for all the advise. Keep it coming.

Dale

Dale I just posted some pictures of the Boyd's stock I just got for my M70. Though I'm going to have to bed it which I planned on doing anyway I don't think I'll need to worry about it warping when I'm done.

Back