E-Tip grouping question...

Colin

Beginner
Nov 28, 2007
I've loaded the 30 caliber, 180gr E-tip in my .300 Win Mag. Every group I've shot, the first 2 bullets hit within about 1/2 to 3/4 inch from each other, then the third shot opens the group up to about 1 1/2 inches.

My buddy has loaded the 7mm, 150gr E-Tip in his 7mm-08. He is seeing the same typr groups. The first 2 are pretty tight, then the third shot will open the groups to about the same as mine.

Any suggestions? Or is anybody else seeing this?

Have you tried different powders and OAL's???

My guess is with 2 in and 1 out, you haven't found the right combo.

This can happen with any bullet, and usually the case is the OAL. Try seating them in or out and see what happens. Maybe try a different powder, if you haven't already. Maybe a primer swap could help as well.

Colin,

If you shoot a wide triangle, 3 shot group, seat the bullet out a 1/4 turn on the seating die plug and try again. Might take a few tries to find the sweet spot but the group should shrink.

If you get 2 touching and very close and the 3 rd is out seat the bullet in/deeper by 1/4 turn on the seater plug and try again, may take several tries.

Hope this helps.

JD338

I had the same problem with the 150gr E-Tip today and I know my rifle can shoot. I just have not found the right OAL. Here is a picture of my tightest group fired with the E-Tip (sorry about the picture quality, I was out of focus :) ).

shooting063.jpg

That is what I was thinking by they way you described your groups. All my E-Tip loads looked this was but this was the smallest group.

When I tried them in my 7mm rem mag I got triangles but in the 2" range. That was 1 time though. Gotta play more.

I will be going tomorrow morning again to try some more E-Tips. I really gave them a jump the first time and my OAL was really short 3.219" Tomorrow I will be giving them a 3.230" OAL a less of a jump. I will be using two powders IMR4350 and H4350. We will see if I am getting close to get a groups under and inch. If I could that would be a good bullet with the great BC it has.

I agree about the bullet seating depth. It makes a huge difference. however, if you are shooting a rifle with a clip, you are limited in how far out you can seat them. Because of the clip I cannot seat them out to the lands. :lol: I used the suggestions by the Nosler folks and found that the 73.5 grains of Reloader 22 in the .300 Win Mag worked the best. I shot a 5/8" group after shooting a few 1" groups. a few adjustments of my B.O.S.S. on my Browing should pull the group under the 1/2". so far I am pleased with the all copper bullet. thanks Nosler.

I shot this group this afternoon with the 7mm 150 gr E-Tip in my 280 AI.
280AI150grE-Tip300.jpg

JD338

Pop,

I didn't clock it but it shoots around 2950 fps. Mild but deadly accurate!

JD338

Back