E-Tip on Deer

Richracer1

Handloader
May 12, 2005
I got my first "real" big gme kill last Monday. Vandenberg AFB, has special hunts for acitve and retirees. We can hunt blacktail does. Anyway, I went out Monday night, set up in some beans fields the Lompoc Federal prison plants and waited. I saw several does, but they had fawns with them and I will NOT shoot a doe with a fawn (rules or not). I finall found two does and a fawn, waited to see which doe the fawn followed and then shot the other one. The equipment is a 270WSM using 130ETs propelled by 60.5gn of IMR4350 & a COL of 2.88". The shot was about 150 to 175yds. I waited to shoot when she was quartering away, the entrance was just behind the left shoulder. The exit was in front of the right shoulder and was about the size of a dime. It was a "bang-flop" shot. Now I get to butcher her tomorrow.

Richracer1

Congratulations on your Deer hunt. Post some pics. :grin:

JD338

JD338":2c3qayjz said:
Richracer1

JD338

Sorry guys, no pics taken, plus some of you have dogs bigger than the blacktail does out here. She weighed 76lbs dressed. Good eating though.

Very nice. Good to know the E-Tip works on deer, even small ones. If you don't mind me asking, do you have any tips on loading the E-Tipsfor accuracy? I've had unremarkeable results with E-Tips in very limited preliminary shooting from a 270Wby. I'd love to learn from your experience.

Good shooting :grin:
Based on your results with the E-tip would you reccomend them for California hunting over the TSX?
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

Richracer1":39m7ebsk said:
JD338":39m7ebsk said:
Richracer1

JD338

Sorry guys, no pics taken, plus some of you have dogs bigger than the blacktail does out here. She weighed 76lbs dressed. Good eating though.

Not quite, my Yellow Lab weighs about 75 lbs after dinner. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Still a nice deer Richracer1, congrats again.

JD338

Congrats! God job and the first guy on this forum (from what I know) that used the etip on game.

BTW want was mv and accuracy?

dubyam":11nac2lr said:
Very nice. Good to know the E-Tip works on deer, even small ones. If you don't mind me asking, do you have any tips on loading the E-Tipsfor accuracy? I've had unremarkeable results with E-Tips in very limited preliminary shooting from a 270Wby. I'd love to learn from your experience.

I tried RL-22 and go OK results, but since IMR4350 didn't work out for a 30-06 load, I decided to give it a try in my 270WSM. IF I remember right, the bullet is seated .020 from the lands. I forgot to mention, my primer is Fed GM215M. My load developement method is start down and work up in .5gn steps. Yes, I use almost a half a box of bullets working up a load, but it works for me.

POP":1niztaot said:
Congrats! God job and the first guy on this forum (from what I know) that used the etip on game.

Wasn't quite my first, I shot a little hog (for smoking) back in June. I shot her at about 30 feet. She weighed about 30lbs dressed. Not a good example for how a bullet performs, as any bullet would've done the job.

Sorry POP, I have no idea what the MV is and for accuracy, I do know it was sub-MOA, but I don't have the target any more. Some friends of mine laugh because I call these my CA bullets. When I go to Idaho, I switch back to Accubonds. Now being that the Pro Shop, via Bivwak, has seen fit to provide me with numerous bags of the 270 130ETs, I've decided that these may be a good Antelope round for when I retire and move back to Idaho.

Greg Nolan":11qakmp3 said:
Good shooting :grin:
Based on your results with the E-tip would you reccomend them for California hunting over the TSX?
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

I have no experience with any Barnes bullets. I almost loaded some for my 270WSM, but Nosler came out with the 270 E-Tip in time, so I sold the Barnes.

Richracer1":1rjfaaye said:
POP":1rjfaaye said:

Wasn't quite my first, I shot a little hog (for smoking) back in June. I shot her at about 30 feet. She weighed about 30lbs dressed. Not a good example for how a bullet performs, as any bullet would've done the job.

Richracer1,

What kind of expansion did you get on the hog? I'm curious as to how fast the E-Tip opens up.

JD338

JD338":2ma7f31g said:
Richracer1":2ma7f31g said:
POP":2ma7f31g said:

Richracer1,

What kind of expansion did you get on the hog? I'm curious as to how fast the E-Tip opens up.

JD338

It expanded quite well. I do remember the both shoulders were a mess, I faintly remember the exit being about a 2"-3" hole, but I attribute that to taking out both shoulders. I just wonder how much of a bigger mess a B-tip would've made at that distance.

No big game taken yet but 2 coyotes have fallen with .270 130 grain E-tip, first one, an 80 yd shot the bullet pulled one lung out the exit hole and he dropped instantly. The second a 170 yd shot was hit in the back of the rib cage and on exiting ripped the opposite shoulder apart and she still ran 30 yards down hill , she was running dead though. Cant weight to kill something larger.

This mornings E Tip on a pepperoni deer.150gr ...
Picture357.jpg

7 STW,

Congratulations on your buck. I think you have the first kill with the 7mm 150 gr E-Tip! Good job. :grin:

JD338

Back