E tips long range capabilities

gunrunnerz

Beginner
Jun 10, 2008
Ok folks heres a question. Does anyone have any data good or bad on using Etips in long ranges? I tried using Barnes copper several years ago and had mixed results between 250 and 375 yds. Beyond that I had open groups and several fliers from 400 to 525 yds. I also noticed keyholes on the target past 500 yds. Currently I'm loading 140gr BT for a 7mm Mag in a slightly customized Ruger MKII with a featherlight stock and Leupold optics. I have a load that I've worked up and have zeroed at 350 yds and am comfartable with out to 600yds. ( Mule deer in west Texas can't judge distances) Before I try E tips I'd like to get some input from you folks. I'd probably look at the 150 gr Etip and work from there, Thanks

:arrow: Accuracy is in the 'eye' of the bull.

The E-Tip's BC indicates it will do fine. I never have had the trouble you spoke of with the X or TSX at long range. Of course my experience with the X and TSX or only in the following cartridges, 22-250, 257Wby, 7mmRem Mag, 30-06, 300Win, 300Wby, 338Win Mag, 35 Whelen, 375Wby, 416Wby. I will be testing the E-tip and the 168gr TSX in my new 06 soon.

I've got the 7mm 150 gr E-Tip loaded for my 280 AI and ready to go long,
just need to find the time. :cry:

JD338

gunrunnerz":28swinbj said:
Bullet, I'd like to know how the test come out on the 168 gr rounds.

Yes, I will let you know. Buy the time I get to it in light of my schedule it will be a couple of weeks but I will post results.

Hi, new here but I do have a liitle experience with E tips at long range. I recently went to a long range shooting school in Idaho and I used the 30 cal 180 grn E tip in my 300 Rum.

The majority of our shooting was between 400 and 1100 yards, mostly @ 10" round reactive targets with spotters. I found the published BC of the E tip very accurate out to 800 yards. Beyond that I will have to tweek the # a bit in my exbal program.

My partner was shooting 200 gr accubonds and there was a bit of difference in the amount of windage I had to use compared to him @ the longer distances.

I don't know that the E tip would of been on my list of long range bullets to try but California says I have to go unleaded this year.

In the end I have to say I was quite pleased with the results and see no reason to try any other copper bullets in my 300Rum. Easy to keep groups sub moa to extreme distances.

The load I settled on was 95.5 gr of retumbo, Fed215M primers, Nosler Brass, Chrono @ 3285 fps. I'm going to tweak the seating depth a little more in the future. Cartridge OAL was longer than would fit in a standard magazine as I have a Wyatts box.

I wish I could say I was as happy with the nosler brass as I was with the E tip but that isn't the case. Primer pockets loosen after the first firing and that is disappointing.

Mike

I will be testing the 180 30 cal and the 7mm 150 gr very soon.

I will report as soon as I can.

piutemike

Welcome to the forum.
Were you at Shawn Carlock's Long Range Shooting Class?

JD338

JD338":j837i2mu said:
piutemike

Welcome to the forum.
Were you at Shawn Carlock's Long Range Shooting Class?

JD338
yes I was at Shawns Class and enjoyed it very much. I was pretty impressed with the performance of the 338 300grn SMK too.

Back