Easy way to sight in your rifle?

4-pointmuley

Beginner
Oct 5, 2006
Before I started to reload my own bullets. I was using 180 grain factory Remington Core-Loc bullet in a 30.06. I could go to the range and shoot the gun dead on at 20 yards. It was effective out to 200 yards.
My question is:
I now reload my bullets a 165 grain Nosler AccuBond with 64 grains of IMR 4831 powder. Is there a quick way as far as yardage to get me on the target? My new rifle in the Winchester Model 70 SS .300 WSM.

For any new rifle/scope set up I start at 25 yds. Usually takes 2 shots to be about 1" low (from the bullseye) and dead on left to right. Then I go to 100 yds. Generally it will take somewhere around 4-5 shots to be where I want and then I start working on group size etc... with different loads.

If you are just trying new loads, and the rifle was already sited in previously, it should only take a few shots to get you where you need to be. That being said; I have long been a firm believer that "shooting is your friend". Shooting a few shots at 20 yds does not relate well to shots 100 yds or more. I don't think there are any shortcuts to being accurate at various distances with out putting in the time and putting some bullets down the range.

Long

When I sight in a new rifle or put a new scope on I look at the my bullet path in a ballistic software program. There is a link to a program in the reloading section. I have been using remington SHOOT for data. It's very simple to use. You can select your gun sight height, bullet weight, B.C. fps, zero and target distance. I will set my zero for 300yds and move the target distance in to 25yds then click the stoot button.
It will tell me where my bullet hit on the target. I will move the target in or out until it hits center of the target. When I go to the range I will use my range finder to place tha target and will adjust my sights until I hit bulls eye. I also make another target based on the info I got from the ballistic software and place at 100yds with a T drawn on it. The T will replesent the line of site and the bulls eye will represent the point of impact. I use this with great success. After grouping @ 100 I will hit a 4" target @ 300 before any fine tuning. There is a picture of the target I use in tho OFF TOPIC section in the target topic.
Ihope I explained this as well as it works.

If your rifle is on w/ 180gr bullets you are going to be really close w/ the 165gr. The only way to know is actually shoot them.

Yep! Here's a REAL SIMPLE SOLUTION!

Zero your rifle to hit 'dead on' at 200 yards! With most of the favorite calibers....'06, 270 Win, 7MM Mag, 300 Win Mag, .338 Win Mag, etc. all you then need to do if a whitetail is at 300 yds. is hold the horizontal crosswire atop the bucks back....and you're gonna drive his 'whacker' into the dirt! On anything BETWEEN YOU AND 200 yds. just hold dead on and you're gonna hit real close!

Pick a bullet that WORKS.....and a load....and stick with it! Don't be changing to something just because someone else says it's good! Learn your rifle/load and what it will do! Just for kicks.....set you up a 6'x4' piece of plyboard and with a zero of 200 yards......back off to say 300 yards and shoot 3 shots holding the horizontal crosswire level with the top of the board and take a steel tape and measure how far down from the top of the board the shots impact! Do the same from 400 yds. or whatever distance and then......check your point of impact AGAINST what those ballistic programs say the drop should be!

Sometimes it's a real eye-opener!! :wink: :wink:

Sharpsman makes excellent points. Matter of fact, I've got a .30-06 sighted in with 180's at 200 yards, just the way it has been for years, exactly as I want it.

I'd highly recommend that after you get a rough zero, actually take the rifle to the range and get it dead on at your chosen range. I hunt primarily open country, so I zero my flat-shooting hunting rifles at 300 yards. This works out real well for me.

My .45-70 Marlin is a different story. A 100 yard zero is fine for it - generally hunting at short range with it anyway.

I don't think there's any substitute for actually going to the range and shooting your rifle at 200 or 300 yards.

Regards, Guy

Back