Eberlestock packs

nvbroncrider

Handloader
Aug 20, 2011
Does anyone use one or know anything about them? Kinda looking at there Gunrunner pack specifically and figured I'd ask about them.

I've got the smallest one, called the "mini me" or something like that.

It's a decent little pack. Reasonably well made. Has a nice rifle scabbard with it. I read a lot of rave reviews about Eberlestock packs... But I dunno. It's not a bad pack, but I don't see it as exceptional in any way.

Believe (could be wrong) that they're made in Vietnam, to specifications from here in the U.S. Again, I don't know that for a fact but I believe that's true.

I'm much more a fan of the Nimrod pack, built here in Washington State, and used by firefighters, and Search & Rescue teams as well as hunters and backpackers. The owner of Nimrod is a hard core backcountry hunter. I've cross-country skied with him. Used a Nimrod pack the past few years for day hikes and hunts. Carried about 75 pounds of bear meat out with it in September, in seriously steep terrain. The pack felt just fine on my ol' back.

Link: http://www.nimrodpacks.com/

Guy

Looks like a great pack Guy. I'm stuck with a not wide enough Eberlestock for now but will move up to something more suitable in a few years after I wear it out.
I'll have to keep Nimrod in mind.

I have tried many packs, but keep coming back to my Nimrod fanny pack with shoulder straps and rifle scabbard. Hands free walking, rifle is ready very quickly and your hands are free to use binos hanging on your chest without the balancing act trying to keep your sling on your shoulder while you raise your arms.
The Eberlestock packs that I have tried, I found are heavy and both models had narrow shoulder straps and cut into my arms.

What most packs don't have that I want to use/see are easy access small pouches that are on the waist belt to keep calls or range finders in, easy access for those items that don't require you to reach around or have your buddy open your zipper/pouch for you.

I've been very pleased with my Badlands day pack and my ALPS Outdoors frame pack. I posted a review of the frame pack over in product reviews. The Badlands I have is the Pursuit, and it's a terrific day pack. I might be able to pull off a one-night trip with it, provided I carried only a sleeping bag/bivy, not a tent. Here's a pic of it in an average "loaded" condition for a day afield:

That's two sets of shooting sticks (standing and kneeling) lashed on the side, and I usually have some sort of coat and possibly bibs lashed across the back of it when I'm hiking in, which I put on when I get to my stand. It's a comfortable pack and works well with in combination with my binocular harness and slinging a rifle.

nvbroncrider":3a38jwyt said:
Does anyone use one or know anything about them? Kinda looking at there Gunrunner pack specifically and figured I'd ask about them.

Jake, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Eberlestock X2.. I can't find anything at all to complain about with it. I would buy another Eberlestock in half a heartbeat.

Before you buy, PM me..

Eberle packs are top notch for what they were made for, and in some cases exceeding what they were made for. My first Eberle stock was the first series J105 All in One and I packed hundreds of pounds of meat with it to include 150 lb moose hind quarters and various caribou and deer quarters. Never a broken stitch. However, i got to exercise the Eberle stock warranty with that pack because of a faulty main zipper. I sent the pack in for repair and a few days later Glen sent me a new J34 for replacement. Great product and great service.

Scotty, do you even have a problem with the shoulder straps being too narrow? I have pretty broad shoulders and sometimes packs can bee too tight across my shoulders, particularly if I'm wearing a lot of clothing.

We will find out got it for my little brother. He's a little guy 6'6" 240 and bone and sinue. If he has no complaints it will be interesting. He had to open the waist and shoulders up a lot to make it fit from the factory.

Nah, mine fits like a glove Kurt. I am a fairly broad shouldered guy, and I couldn't pick out a more comfortable pack to wear if I had it tailor made.

Well after 6 months of owning this pack I'd figure I'd post a review on it. I ended up with the Gunrunner which has it's own internal folding scabbard that can be stowed out of the way when not needed. This thing is one slick pack. You can slide almost any rifle in it, I've ran it with a FW my 338 with a bipod on it the 280AI with 28" tube bipod and thumbhole stock and even an AR-15 in it without mag. Everything fits and is secure it includes straps on each side to tighten it's hold on your rifle which double as a place to slide in a hatchet or 3' axe which is really slick since it is secure and doesn't slide around. With the 3L-hydration system and the chest and waist straps it makes for hands free hiking. My brother and I did some serious hiking this winter on my cow elk hunt in which I came up empty handed but after each day I felt pretty good other than some sore legs. Each day we started at 5-6000 ft and climbed up to 7500ft with about 35 lbs of gear on. I was really impressed that my shoulders didn't get sore. The pack also kept your CoG close to you so you could keep your footing going up and down steep rocky snow laden paths. With plenty of room to shed off layers as your body warmer up with the physical exertion. It has a slick little upper compartment for a pair of binos that is easily accessible at the top of the pack if you don't want them hung around your neck. With the compression straps you can easily keep the pack small and compact. Overall the two of us are very happy with them. With the ability to expand the pack with add-ons it allows the user to have a light day pack or to expand to a heavier 4-5 day pack.

Tomorrow I will be going fishing and I truly believe it will prove very well adapt by shoving your rod and reel down the scabbard to give you a hands free pack into a high mountain lake or a long hike into a low access area without having to worry about dropping or snagging a rod.

Great report Jake. I am a big fan of Eberlestock. I think they make well thought out, quality packs for hunters. My X2 has become something I won't leave behind.

That surely sounds like a well-designed system, Jake. I may have to look into this before fall hunting is here.

I have an X1 that I use as a day pack.

It's a great day pack and I've used it frequently. For over night stuff I'm trying a Kuiu Icon 5200. It will also be used to haul meat, which the Eberlestock is not so good at.

Vince

I believe my next purchase will be a some type of day pack. I am just starting to look as the younger guys in our group would like to go for open Moose which will be back in the timber. I am all for it as longs as the young guys are there as well. Setting up a big camp back in the bush is a lot of fun but it is a lot of hard work as well:)!!

Blessings,
Dan

Back