electric broadcast spreader

jimbires

Handloader
Aug 16, 2011

we bought a couple of the spreaders I linked to above . right now it's on sale for $200 . it's a good start on a spreader , but needs a little work . the square tube is too short to reach the hitch on our buggies . this is corrected by using a step up hitch extension . we've found it's better to throw the material high , and let it rain down on the ground , instead of throwing into the dirt . also the plate you adjust to control material flow has about a 3/16" gap around it , making it useless on anything much smaller than rock salt , corn , material this size . a lot of our seed would have run right through with it completely closed . I fixed this by pop riveting a piece of 1/8" thick neoprene on it . I cut the neoprene so it had a good fit to close off the gap . the alligator clips on the wires that go to the battery are the small mini ones . I replaced them with ones that will grab a battery post . I've also changed the wire plugs , so we can plug in a speed control . I change the plugs to a regular 3 prong extension cord plug . I added two eyebolts , so we can put a ratchet strap on the tub to the buggy . this helps take the bounce out of the spreader . I'm not sure how long the metal tub will last if spreading corrosive material , but should be able to get a few years if you keep it washed out . almost forgot , make sure the hitch pin goes through the hole . my hole was a smidge too small for the pin to go through . a slight wipe around with my die grinder fixed this problem . it also has a wireless on / off control . I guess it's a nice idea while it's working , to me it's just another thing to fail . also if the remote battery goes dead you're done for the day , it's the only way to turn it on . the pill bottle has extra fuses , and an extra remote battery . I've already figured out how to bypass the remote when it fails .

P6110590.JPG P6110589.JPG P6110587.JPG P6110586.JPG P6110585.JPG P6110583.JPG P6110582.JPG P6110581.JPG

this is the speed control I make for our spreaders . I make these for about $35 . to buy one from these spreader companies you'll pay about $150 . we've had a couple of the store bought speed controls broken from being sat on . I had to figure out a cheaper set up .

P6110584.JPG

Kinda the same issue I have on my jd atv (gator). I found a hitch extension that also added height to it for pulling trailers (tongue was too low).

Kinda the same issue I have on my jd atv (gator). I found a hitch extension that also added height to it for pulling trailers (tongue was too low).
one of our lease members has a JD side by side , I THINK it's a 835 ?? the hitch is very low on it . he seen I had the step hitch in mine , and said heck I'll need two of them step hitches .

one of our lease members has a JD side by side , I THINK it's a 835 ?? the hitch is very low on it . he seen I had the step hitch in mine , and said heck I'll need two of them step hitches .
They are low for sure. I'd have to measure, but at best guess the hitch is about 12-14" from the ground?
1718190726780.png

we gave the spreaders a work out yesterday . they work nice . the one I fixed up with the speed control throws a nice even side to side pattern . the way I closed off the feed plate made throwing the very fine seed easy and controllable . the spreader without the speed control throws a lot more material to the one side . we ran that spreader with fine seed mixed with fertilizer , we were able to control the feed like that . the big problem we had was using both of these in the same food plot . when either of us pushed the remote , it activated both unites . even if we stayed at opposite ends of the field , it did that . not always , but did it . I'm going to remove the remote from the spreader I have the speed control on , the speed control has an on / off switch . for the money they are a decent spreader .

Back