Elk rifle for a lady???

GrayRider

Beginner
Nov 21, 2006
Did you ever get hit with a question and didn’t quite know how to answer it?? My brother asked me “I need you to choose an elk rifle for a lady”. I do not know how to answer this. I haven’t hunted them myself; it’s been a lifelong dream to hunt them and next year come hell or high water I’m going to! He hasn’t hunted them either and due to some imposed medical problems and facts of life I’m thinking he won’t. But any ways . . . he asked me the question.
I know personal abilities, recoil shyness, and right cartridge for the game have a lot to do with choosing a rifle and sorry I can’t provide that information to you ( don’t even know it myself). So . . . I’m asking for any suggestions of what caliber of rifle for a “starting out” lady hunter. Deer to possibly elk will be hunted. He’s looking at Tikka’s so, let’s be safe, so if things go south keep in mind “re-sale”, load suggestions would also be helpful. He’d (my brother) would kill me if he sees the “re-sale” part of this post, but I’m a realist.
Thanks in advance

I would think that the fit of the rifle would be of great importance. She needs to be "fitted" by someone that is competent to recommend a stock based on her LOP and frame. If she is willing to take the time to learn to shoot properly, a 300 WSM is not too big, especially if the rifle fits. If a cartridge such as this were chosen, shooting a premium bullet in a lighter weight would cut down on recoil until she became comfortable shooting the rifle. Certainly, a 7mm-08, a 270 or even a 260 is adequate in the hands of someone willing to use it and take time to place their bullet carefully. There are a lot of cartridges between the extremes listed. All this assumes the shooter will take her time to get within range given the limitations of the cartridge she chooses. Whatever cartridge or rifle is chosen, she will want to ensure that the rifle has a good trigger job and that she wears good hearing protection to avoid the dreaded flinch.

Well My wife shoots a 7-08 for elk. She hasn't drawn a tag yet but I'm sure that it will work fine with a 140, or 150 PT or AB. Yes your shots are going to be more limited than with a mag of some sort, but I would rather her be comfertable with her rifle and make a good shot than use a "bigger, better" gun and not shoot it as well.

I screwed up and got he a little bit of a to light weight one (Remington Mt. rifle). She shoots it ok, but the super skinny barrel kind of bugs me. Being that light it has a bit of buck to it. Not bad mind you, but pretty sure she would shoot it better if it weighed a bit more. I'm thinking about selling it and building her one on a savage action with a shillen barrel. A guy can do that for about what a new gun cost.

Dr. Mike nailed it with the rifle fitting her porpperly and the ear protection! Those two things make a big difference.

Reading the gun magazines will often leave one with the impression that elk require a .300 or .338 magnum hurling big heavy bullets at high velocity...

No doubt such a rig hits harder and has a place, particularly for serious trophy hunters who may be trying to down a 700 - 800 lb bull at longish ranges or in a difficult shot situation.

Mostly though what I've found is that public land elk hunting is often for cows, spikes or other young bulls that are far from that 700 - 800 pound weight and can be taken at quite "normal" ranges. Most the elk hunters I know just use their deer rifles, use good bullets and place their shots well.

I was surprised a few years back when I fell hard for the .25-06 to find how many hunters have routinely taken elk with that cartridge and the .270 Win, with no problem. Personally I tend to drag along a 7mm mag, a .30-06 or my old .45/70 Marlin when I hunt elk, and this year if I go I'll likely indulge myself and take the .375 H&H Ruger Number One - just for the heck of it - but truly, a decent deer rifle with good bullets will work. A shoulder-slamming magnum is NOT necessary. I may just use one for fun this year though... :grin:

Good luck! Guy

GrayRider

As DrMike said, proper stock fit is extremely important, along with a good recoil pad. This will greatly reduce felt recoil. In addition, ear plugs and ear muffs will make shooting much more enjoyable as well.
As for calibers,short action would be 308 Win, 7mm-08 Rem and 260 Rem. Long action would include 30-06, 280 Rem and 270 Win.
Plenty of practice, including a 22 Rim Fire will prove to be very valuable for you lady huntress.

JD338

The cartridge I would choose is the 7mm-08. Bullet choice would be the 150 grain Etip or the 154 grain Interbond. Rifle would be the Savage Model 16 or Remington Model 7.

If you feel the 7mm-08 would be too much recoil a 260 rem with 140 grain AccuBond or 130 grain Scirocco 2 would be another adaquate option. Rifle options may be a bit more limited in this cartridge.

I bought my wife a Ruger Hawkeye in 308. She shoots it well, and recoil is fairly mild with 150gr bullets. If she ever gets out for elk with me, I would load something tough like a 150-165PT and call it a day. She wouldn't be shooting over 250 yards, and that would have plenty of power for an elk. Hindsight, I wished I would have gotten her a 30-06, much more versatile with heavier bullet weights and shoots the lighter ones just as well. It can be downloaded easy enough and loaded up to full power loads very easily. I got the 308 and like it, but if I had to do it again, it would be a 270, 280 or 30-06 for her.

With my kids, I will get them one smaller rifle, such as my son getting a 243, his next rifle will be a 270, 280 or 30-06, same for the daughter. A small short action round like a 7-08 or 260 and then a bigger gun. As for rifles, I think the best thing to do is try a bunch of them and see if anything fits her well. Put a great recoil pad on it, and start her shooting LIGHT loads, to gain confidence and gradually move up to hunting power rounds. I think 300 Savage speeds with good bullets would do in most elk up to 250 yards or so without too many issues. Scotty

I can't say much more than what has already been said. More than anything, make sure she handles the gun and is comfortable with it.

My wife shots a model 7 Remington .260 in a youth platform. I have to say the short little 18.5 inch tube drives me nuts, but it's dropped several elk out to the 300yd mark. I alos have a 7-08 that has put it's fair share of elk down - both are exellet rounds.
Doesn't matter if you're shooting a .243 or .338LM - bullet selection & shot placement are everything.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned - Most of these if hand loading can be loaded with a "reduced recoil" recpie. Load it light for all year practice and get her used to the gun - come hunting season poor the coals to it. She'll never notice the recoil shooting at game.
Good luck and let us know what the selection ends up.

i just bought mine an 06 she has shot her mothers very well so i'll stick with that. needs be i will put a muzzle brake on it

Ditto!

A well fitted rifle with a Decelerator or similiar recoil pad makes a big difference. My wife is kick sensetive so I make up mild loads for practice and use the full power loads for hunting. At 100 yds it makes little difference in target shooting. The weight is important cause you carry for days and shoot only once or so during a full blown adreneling rush that helps hide the recoil. She shoots a 30 Rem. (like a 30-30) because her grandmother gave it to her. I think a 7mm-08 is about a good comprimise between recoil and power to get the job done but there are a lot of similiar cartriges. I just know that if the rifle is in the 8 lb.+ range it gets heavy for them.
Congrats on having a live in elkhunting partner. :grin:

Our deer/elk season runs Oct thru Nov so weather will vary and the type of cloths worn. You want to make sure the rifle your getting for her will fit her for those condition.

My wife started out in Calif hunting with a 243 next was a 270 and now she shoots a 280AI. It's one of Mel Forbes model 24 rifles and light enough carrying and shooting isn't a problem.

I think most of us take pride in the rifles we own and shoot and I may help my wife select a caliber/rifle and reload for it even clean it but the rifle she shoots is her. If she quit hunting tomorrow what happens to her firearms she make that decision.

She likes to hunt the combination season here and been lucky in drawing a buck tag she won't put in for a doe or cow elk tag so some years are good others nothing. She just does that one season so I'll spread out my elk hunts and just hunt deer with her.

great suggestions by all I really agree the 7mm-08 is probably the way to go and there are remington reduced recoil loads for practice or whatever.

If resale is a viable chance I would not get a tikka. But I would never get one anyway. The market is flooded with them and if you shop around you can get tehm new really cheap so maybe you dont loose as much? I am biased 700 big green

My daughter will grow up shooting a 260 remington as soon as I can find one when I can afford it. The limited edition 700 cdlsf from the year she was born is 260 rem! same case as the 7mm-08

I bought my daughter a 7mm-08 . she will probably use this for every thing from White tail to Elk. If SHE decides to go to a larger caliber, she has her choice of 30-06, 7MM rem mag, 300 win mag , 300 ultra mag, or (since shes my baby)( anything she wants! :oops:

HI there, my wife shoots a custom fitted 7mm WBY mag with 160 gr ABs. The gun has a soft pad and a muzzle break. Noise is an issue, but not weight or recoil.

Lots of good advice above, and I would add in that you want to have your friends wife hunt in perfect (for her) conditions. For my wife, that means fairly warm weather, staying in a place with running water and an indoor toilet, etc... She will not even consider a hunt where we camp in the snow after packing (hiking) in for a few miles. But, she is a great hunting companion.

In fact, my youngest son often jokes that with Mom along, we have a cook and a dishwasher. BTW, never do that to a woman, it is a good way to become single.
Hardpan

My wife shoots a Tikka T3 LS 270WSM with 140gr Accubonds. She has taken elk, moose and deer with it.

As mentioned, stock fit is very important. For the petite women, a Remington model 7 in a 7mm-08 would be a great rifle.

Also have her spend time at the range to get comfortable shooting the rifle and work on shooting skills. This will pay off dividends when it COUNTS !!

JDMAG":2x4cgley said:
I bought my daughter a 7mm-08 . she will probably use this for every thing from White tail to Elk. If SHE decides to go to a larger caliber, she has her choice of 30-06, 7MM rem mag, 300 win mag , 300 ultra mag, or (since shes my baby)( anything she wants! :oops:

Oh, man, you nailed it there JD!! My daughter's rifle is a Rem.788 .308 she inherited from an uncle. I Duracoated all the metal, completely refinished the wood, checkered w/full wrap-around on the forend, decent recoil pad. She shoots it great, but she learned with the Marines :grin:

Just got my wife a 7mm-08, also. All the advice in this thread has been good!
elkeater2

elkeater2":1ipxsng0 said:
JDMAG":1ipxsng0 said:

Oh, man, you nailed it there JD!! My daughter's rifle is a Rem.788 .308 she inherited from an uncle. I Duracoated all the metal, completely refinished the wood, checkered w/full wrap-around on the forend, decent recoil pad. She shoots it great, but she learned with the Marines :grin:

Just got my wife a 7mm-08, also. All the advice in this thread has been good!
elkeater2

Man, those Marines sure are good marksmanship coaches!!! Scotty

Suggest a Win 70 Fearherweight in 270 Win and put a KDF Muzzlebrake on it with 150gr Nosler Part loads for elk.........

For the lady's first high powered rifle, capable of cleanly taking elk out to 400 yards, she cannot go wrong with a properly fitted rifle, chambered for 30-06.
Load down. Load up. Add a brake if she feels the need, but probably will not. Buy about whatever bullet weight and bullet quality one can ask for, already loaded by the factory. Buy the ammo anywhere where rifle ammo is sold. Shoot the rifle a lot at the range and cost is not prohibitive. Get to be a good shot with one fitted 30-06 rifle and she'd never need another. From white tail deer to the largest bears, she would not be undergunned with a 30-06.
If she goes with a lesser round, using light ammo, she is much more likely to get cripples.
Learn to shoot the 30-06 with light loads and work up to being able to handle heavy loads for the hunt.
Steven

There are alot of good suggestions here. In my opinion, the single most important thing to remember when buying a gun for a lady, it that it's HER GUN. If you let her make the choice, she will be more invested in the gun, and chances are, the more she will like it. I was really suprised when my wife didn't like either Remmington model 7, nor the Winchester Featherweight when I handed them to her, ....But she sure liked the Tikka deluxe in .270 Win. With a Mild load behind a 140gr AB, she's good for anything fm mice to moose.

And a word on scopes for ladies. Match the scope to here shooting ability. Consider a high quality staight 4x scope. That way there are not any dial or knobs for here to worry about. It makes you directions for her much easiers. "Honey, if it looks too small in your scope, just don't shoot", If it looks big in the scope, shoot it.

So, what I'm really saying, it think about the total hunting package you are handing her, and how you will train her to interact with that package in the field. Those choices will have a bigger impact on your shared hunting experience then all the 6.5-.308 bullet, 130-165/bonded vs Partition, 2700 to 3000 fps choices.

Back