Elk rifle for a lady???

That is great advice. I kinda did the same thing. The wife and I went to a larger gun store and I let her handle a few. She ended up liking Rugers new Hawkeye and she like stainless / synthetic. She didn't care what caliber. I ended up surprising her a few weeks later with the Ruger Hawkeye SS and put a 2x7 Leupold on it for her. Great little rifle, I got it in 308, but hindsight being 20/10, I wished I would have went for a 7/08, just to get a little lighter recoil in all loads. She shoots it great, and honestly, it is a great carrying and shooting rifle. Scotty

My ex-wife hunted with and shot very well with a Remington Model 725, .30-06. She shot the same 165 Nosler Partition handloads that I hunted deer with. I think as others have mentioned, the important things are a stock that fits and controls recoil and a good recoil pad, such as a Simms.

Get her a Ruger Compact 7mm-08 and instead of it being 13.5 inches from the rear end of the receiver it is 13" and the fore end of the stock is shorter and she can handle the rifle better and throw up to her shoulder better.

7mm08 or 260Rem are perfect for ladies. I love my 260 rem and even my grandson and wife can shoot it with ease and not complaints. My 260 custom is on a Ruger Compact stock.

Just a thought, I've never shot one, but was reading scotts thread about the 338 fed and RCM.

How would a 338 Fed be as far as recoil? I know it is a considerably heavier bullet, but they are not moving to fast. Would think that a 180 AB out of that thing would sure work for elk? Anybody here shot one? How do they stack up against the 7-08, 30-06, and the like as far as recoil go?

jmad_81":3t1kzc0w said:
Just a thought, I've never shot one, but was reading scotts thread about the 338 fed and RCM.

How would a 338 Fed be as far as recoil? I know it is a considerably heavier bullet, but they are not moving to fast. Would think that a 180 AB out of that thing would sure work for elk? Anybody here shot one? How do they stack up against the 7-08, 30-06, and the like as far as recoil go?

It depends, you can shoot 180 grain bullets at the same velocity as the 30-06 but they have lower sectional density of course. I mostly shoot 200 and 210 bullets through my .338 Federal and I get (with a 22 inch barrel) about 2600 for 200 gr CT Silvertips or 2550 for 210 Partitions. Using IMR4064 for loading. Both the 200 and 210 bullets are quite accurate with the CT Silvertips shooting under MOA and the 210 Partitions and Barnes at about 1-1/4 inch five shot groups at 100 yards.

The recoil of the 180 gr bullets is of course the same as the .30-06, 180 gr. The recoil of the 200 and 210 bullets are proportional or about 10-15% heavier than a .30-06.

Oldtrader3 wrote : "The recoil of the 180 gr bullets is of course the same as the .30-06, 180 gr."

Somewhere I read that the bullet diameter will also have an effect on recoil.
Given the same weight rifles, would not the larger diameter caliber bullet create more recoil, due to a greater frontal area? I realize that the difference between 30cal and 338cal, both firing a 180gr. bullet may be unfelt by the shooter, but would not a difference in recoil be created between the two, due one being a larger caliber?
Maybe it would be more obvious, if I give the example of firing a 110gr bullet from 30-06 and a 110gr. bullet from 243Win?
In the case of 180gr bullets fired from both 30-06 and 338; in most cases, the 338 has a heavier propellant load anyway, which should cause more recoil. No?
Steven

The primary factors in calculating recoil are weight of the rifle, weight of the bullet, weight of the powder charge and muzzle velocity of the projectile. While differing frontal area will indicate differing bearing surface of two projectiles, it does not enter into the calculation. It does have a difference on pressure required to move the bullet, and it does factor into physiological aspects related to hydrostatic shock for the animal hit, but it does not factor into free energy calculations.

Yeah, my head was hurting something fierce and I had to drain off some of the big words that were causing the pressure! :lol:

I'd say a weatherby ultralight in 270 wby or 280AI, The 280 only weighs 5.75lbs. and a brake is a factry option. I know I can't afford one, but they fit the bill the best. I found the T3 tikka in a ss/syn to be a very rigid rifle that had severe recoil chambered in a 300 win and I am not recoil sensitive. Just my opinion, and it's likely worth less than you paid for it :wink: It may be better in a smaller chambering, but it carried great.

JT.

Back