Help me choose?

ronc80

Beginner
Dec 29, 2018
Bergara B-14 Ridge or Christensen Arms Mesa
Both 7mm-08 new rifles
Which would you choose? Why one over the other? Or neither and maybe something else? Remington 700? You can't choose Tikka I already own one.
I'm looking for a precision hunting. Rifle. Lighter wieght then my Tikka with the Boyd's stock. You ask why 7mm-08. Well first I like the caliber it works well. Main reason is if I stick with 7mm-08 I don't have to get new dies different brass and bullets. It will keep my cost of a new rifle for my birthday down a tad.
So if any of you in the know have a few minutes give me your thoughts, opinions and knowledge.
Here is a pic of my best group to-date on some testing ive been doing with my Tikka. 5 shot group.
Quick edit.... the bergara is 500 less but it's a slower twist rate. Only spec difference I can see.

Last edited:
7-08 is a perfect round , one of my favorite. If I had to choose between the 2 , the Mesa.

Why don't you handle them both, together if possible, and see which on feels better in your hand. Try the triggers, cycle the bolts, and operate the safeties? Which one is best for your style of hunting?

I had the Bergara in my hand today. Not much access to the other in my area without a few hour drive time.
Another question I have is with the none Removable mag. Is there any room to grow the seating depth of your bullets? My Tikka stock mags are pretty much tight at 2.80. I have some mountain tactical ones that I can kiss the lands with if I wanted. Not a deal breaker on either rifle just was something I was wondering about.

I’d go Bergara as I’ve yet to hear a bad word about them. I am familiar with a couple guys that got a lemon from Christensen.

Not to say Bergara can’t produce a lemon 🍋 I’m sure they can. Also, there’s less Bergara’s in my neck of the woods and I only know of three people that own one. I’ve probably run in to twenty folks that own Christensen rifles. The folks that like their Christensen rifles rave about them.

I know you want to stick with 7-08 but I’d encourage you to consider another cartridge to expand your versatility. Just saying.

Vince

Having handled, but not shot either in hunting rifles, and reading reviews on both, I might lean towards the Bergara.
1) I like the way the grip fills my big hands on the Bergara...the Christesen is just thin which effects my grip and ultimately my trigger squeeze and control
2) Have heard too much about the inconsistency of the Christesen of late...but when a company jumps up production as much as they seem to have over the past few years, QC is apt to become an issue when production becomes the goal vs quality.

I have purchased the B-14R LH Trainer Rifle Carbon Fibre in 22LR and so far I am impressed with the rifle. While not a hunting rifle, it is designed to match the hunting rifle version for breeding familiarity without the cost and recoil of a centerfire round, and definitely not a light rifle, the accuracy is gratifying so far!

I think your biggest challenge may be finding a precision rifle lighter than your Tikka...

Most people wouldn't think Browning at first for precision shooting, but have you looked at an X Bolt in a configuration that might meet most of your desires? They do shoot very well and may be the ticket for you for hunting...not sure about the magazine providing more length for seating out longer bullets; you will have to look into that.

I’d go Bergara as I’ve yet to hear a bad word about them. I am familiar with a couple guys that got a lemon from Christensen.

Not to say Bergara can’t produce a lemon 🍋 I’m sure they can. Also, there’s less Bergara’s in my neck of the woods and I only know of three people that own one. I’ve probably run in to twenty folks that own Christensen rifles. The folks that like their Christensen rifles rave about them.

I know you want to stick with 7-08 but I’d encourage you to consider another cartridge to expand your versatility. Just saying.

Vince
Expanding versatility... thought about that a lot. Which direction do I go? Bigger? smaller? My solution kinda would be smaller like 6.5 prc. Flat fast accurate. I like that combo. Just did a quick list of what I'd need to get started on a new caliber. About $700 and I didn't even check if they use large rifle primers. I assumed they do. Bullets looked accessible brass was a little sketchy. Again quick search on components and accessories for reloading.

Bought a Bergara Ridge in 308 for the woman to leave me...

It doesn't like all powder/bullet combos.

But if they do, they really do!
Built her target loads with cheap Prvi fmj and 168 hollow points. Easy to get below moa.

There where hunting loads in the same area, never tried them on game.

Now I will use all the stuff to build loads for friends...

I would like a 3 position safety, but otherwise they do the job.

And well

Having handled, but not shot either in hunting rifles, and reading reviews on both, I might lean towards the Bergara.
1) I like the way the grip fills my big hands on the Bergara...the Christesen is just thin which effects my grip and ultimately my trigger squeeze and control
2) Have heard too much about the inconsistency of the Christesen of late...but when a company jumps up production as much as they seem to have over the past few years, QC is apt to become an issue when production becomes the goal vs quality.

I have purchased the B-14R LH Trainer Rifle Carbon Fibre in 22LR and so far I am impressed with the rifle. While not a hunting rifle, it is designed to match the hunting rifle version for breeding familiarity without the cost and recoil of a centerfire round, and definitely not a light rifle, the accuracy is gratifying so far!

I think your biggest challenge may be finding a precision rifle lighter than your Tikka...

Most people wouldn't think Browning at first for precision shooting, but have you looked at an X Bolt in a configuration that might meet most of your desires? They do shoot very well and may be the ticket for you for hunting...not sure about the magazine providing more length for seating out longer bullets; you will have to look into that.
Your absolutely right about the wieght of the tikka if I still had that hunk of garbage they called a stock. Ok wasn't as bad as the ruger american predator but not the best. I have a boyds thumb hole stock on my Tikka now. Shoots great just a bit heavy.
I have a browning BLR 81 in 7mm08 really good rifle for a magazine fed lever action that is 40 years old. With some testing I got the groups down to just moa or a smidgen better. Looked at the x bolt havnt found any around to put my hands on and havnt heard much about the x bolt. Maybe I should do a little more looking into them.
Thanks guys for helping me in this life altering decision. 😜

Your absolutely right about the wieght of the tikka if I still had that hunk of garbage they called a stock. Ok wasn't as bad as the ruger american predator but not the best. I have a boyds thumb hole stock on my Tikka now. Shoots great just a bit heavy.
I have a browning BLR 81 in 7mm08 really good rifle for a magazine fed lever action that is 40 years old. With some testing I got the groups down to just moa or a smidgen better. Looked at the x bolt havnt found any around to put my hands on and havnt heard much about the x bolt. Maybe I should do a little more looking into them.
Thanks guys for helping me in this life altering decision. 😜
Love my pre-61 BLR in 358 Win!
I have a couple of X Bolts, both on LH; an All Weather (stainless/laminate) that I rebarreled to 6.5CM. (Did not have to change magazines from 7mm-08 to 6.5 CM as it worked just fine for the new cartridge) Shoots sub-MOA with factory ammunition. Took it to New Zealand for red stag and fallow deer, and the wife used it on here arapawa rams. She was so impressed by it that she admitted that she had designs on taking possession of it from me...until earlier this week when she found a LH Hunter on sale in 6.5 CM and put it on layaway so she could have her own.
I also have a Hunter in 270WSM that I will be rebarreling to 6.5 PRC (have to get the proper 6.5 PRC magazines (already done) for the cartridge as the shoulder configuration is different between the two.
Love the factory stock configuration on the X Bolts for a hunting rifle and the trigger is actually very good. Also like the 4 screws per base, and 4 screws per ring, design. Secure optics mounting. And the Talley lightweights work great (although some may need some work for aligning and truing), as do the Browning ones (also made by Talley) Adjusted to 3 lbs and it produces consistent accuracy. (Actually have never fired a Browning rifle that would not produce good accuracy (MOA or better), from the older A Bolts up through the newer X Bolts) Makes me wonder now why I don't have more in the battery!
I had looked at their LH Long Range model for a 6.5 PRC, but it has the 24" heavy barrel and weighs 7 lbs 14 oz, so a little heavier than what I was hoping for in a hunting rifle that could go to the mountains. This is where the regular stock configuration works best for me. The Hunter is 6 lbs 8 oz in 6.5 CM (same for 7mm-08)
Check out the Browning website so you can see all the X Bolt variants and which ones are available in 7mm-08, that might fit your list of must haves and/or wish list features. ( 9 configurations listed; the Speed is synthetic/camo and 6 lbs 5 oz in 7mm-08 w/ 22" barrel)

Love my pre-61 BLR in 358 Win!
I have a couple of X Bolts, both on LH; an All Weather (stainless/laminate) that I rebarreled to 6.5CM. (Did not have to change magazines from 7mm-08 to 6.5 CM as it worked just fine for the new cartridge) Shoots sub-MOA with factory ammunition. Took it to New Zealand for red stag and fallow deer, and the wife used it on here arapawa rams. She was so impressed by it that she admitted that she had designs on taking possession of it from me...until earlier this week when she found a LH Hunter on sale in 6.5 CM and put it on layaway so she could have her own.
I also have a Hunter in 270WSM that I will be rebarreling to 6.5 PRC (have to get the proper 6.5 PRC magazines (already done) for the cartridge as the shoulder configuration is different between the two.
Love the factory stock configuration on the X Bolts for a hunting rifle and the trigger is actually very good. Also like the 4 screws per base, and 4 screws per ring, design. Secure optics mounting. And the Talley lightweights work great (although some may need some work for aligning and truing), as do the Browning ones (also made by Talley) Adjusted to 3 lbs and it produces consistent accuracy. (Actually have never fired a Browning rifle that would not produce good accuracy (MOA or better), from the older A Bolts up through the newer X Bolts) Makes me wonder now why I don't have more in the battery!
I had looked at their LH Long Range model for a 6.5 PRC, but it has the 24" heavy barrel and weighs 7 lbs 14 oz, so a little heavier than what I was hoping for in a hunting rifle that could go to the mountains. This is where the regular stock configuration works best for me. The Hunter is 6 lbs 8 oz in 6.5 CM (same for 7mm-08)
Check out the Browning website so you can see all the X Bolt variants and which ones are available in 7mm-08, that might fit your list of must haves and/or wish list features. ( 9 configurations listed; the Speed is synthetic/camo and 6 lbs 5 oz in 7mm-08 w/ 22" barrel)
Thanks I'll do that when a get a moment from the honey do list.

I have/have had several Bergaras in various calibers (not 7mm-08) and had no issues with any of them. I also own a Tikka in 7mm-08 and have been extremely happy with it.

Regarding your consideration of the 6.5 PRC, it has rapidly become one of my favorite deer rounds. I have a Tikka T3x lite and a Super Varminter, both of which are extremely accurate and easy to find loads for. 1/2-3/4 inch groups are boringly simple with factory ammo or handloads. It is also very easy to load for and uses large rifle primers.

Good luck!

Ron

Expanding versatility... thought about that a lot. Which direction do I go? Bigger? smaller? My solution kinda would be smaller like 6.5 prc. Flat fast accurate. I like that combo. Just did a quick list of what I'd need to get started on a new caliber. About $700 and I didn't even check if they use large rifle primers. I assumed they do. Bullets looked accessible brass was a little sketchy. Again quick search on components and accessories for reloading.
Personally I’d go with something like a .300 Win Mag or .300 WSM for more all around usage. Until recently I was a one cartridge for everything kind of guy. My choice was the .338 Win Mag because of the versatility.

185 grain bullets for deer and antelope up to 300 grain bullets for brown bears. 210 grain bullets as a one bullet for everything option. Since you reload you can really expand the versatility of any cartridge.

I’ve since switched to the .375 Ruger as my one cartridge for everything.

Vince

I have/have had several Bergaras in various calibers (not 7mm-08) and had no issues with any of them. I also own a Tikka in 7mm-08 and have been extremely happy with it.

Regarding your consideration of the 6.5 PRC, it has rapidly become one of my favorite deer rounds. I have a Tikka T3x lite and a Super Varminter, both of which are extremely accurate and easy to find loads for. 1/2-3/4 inch groups are boringly simple with factory ammo or handloads. It is also very easy to load for and uses large rifle primers.

Good luck!

Ron
Might have to hit ya up for some off your recipes. Been browsing the tikka site and I sure do love my tikka. If I go the 6.5 prc road it will be a bit to get all my dies and such accumulated. I guess there is always factory ammo until then. After loading my own factory just doesn't seem like it's worth buying. To shoot a new gun I guess I can suffer. Lol 😆

My two stepsons and I have had excellent results on deer using Hornady factory loads, both the Precision Hunter 143 ELD-X and the white box match ammo using 147 ELD-M's. I know there have been discussions about the merits, or lack of them, using match bullets for hunting, but I am only stating our experiences . I have also shot Nosler and Norma factory loads and had excellent accuracy with use on paper only.

So, if you get a PRC, there are viable factory options to get you started. As an aside, I said earlier I shoot Tikkas but one stepson uses a Bergara and the other uses a Sauer 100 we bought from Fotis. The Sauer is another option you might explore as it's fairly light.

Hope this helps.

Ron

I've only had a Christiansen Arms rifle to the range once, a 7mm Rem Mag. It shot okay, but not great.

My son and I have got his 7mm Rem Mag Bergara shooting pretty well with 150's at almost 3200 fps. 100 yard group:
PUcI3uQh.jpg

I've got access to several Bergara rifles at work. Love the slick action, the reliability, and all that I've tried in various cartridges have been accurate.

Guy

Got an update. Went with what I know. Tikka t3x lite veil alpine in 6.5 prc. Well the tikka part I know the 6.5 prc is new and unknown to me. Projectile is a bit smaller in diameter but the place to stuff the powder is rather large compared to my 7mm-08's. Havnt had a chance to send anything through paper yet. Waiting on scope ring mounts for the tikka.
It sure feels good in hand and if I can dial some reloads in it should be a lot of fun. Picked up a couple boxes of some factory hornady ammo just to see what she's all about. Don't want to do that very often at $2.95 a round.
Thanks for all the knowledge and experience from all of you.
Ron

Attachments

• 20230630_184636.jpg
    20230630_184636.jpg
    789.3 KB · Views: 16
Back