My New Rifle-6.5PRC

Idaho53

Full Blood American
Feb 5, 2023
Hi everyone, just wanted to share my newest rifle. Just finished putting together my 6.5PRC in the new Bergara Wilderness Carbon Ridge. Wanted to get a hunting rig in SA and lightweight for my backcountry Idaho hunts and this fit the bill. Now, I am working on load development with 142 GR ABLR (getting 3/4" MOA but want to adjust with seating depth) So far, the barrel has handled heat extremely well w/o POI shifts in multiple rapid shot strings. This is my 1st SA rifle (been a 7RM and 270 WIN guy for the last 30 years) Hope you all have a good week...

Attachments

• 0021A52B-C87B-4C38-8B28-C578CF2F121B.jpeg
    0021A52B-C87B-4C38-8B28-C578CF2F121B.jpeg
    870.6 KB · Views: 48
You will love the 6.5 PRC! I have a Seekins havak in 6.5 PRC I have been shooting the 124gr hammer hunters in mine. It’s an impressive cartridge. That Bergara is a pretty decent looking rifle.
What velocity are you getting with those Hammers? Have you shot any game with them?

Very nice rifle. That 142 gr ABLR should get the job done for you. Nicely done.

JD338

Nice to hear someone getting good accuracy with the LRAB!
What scope did you mount?
What is the finished weight of the scoped rifle pkg?

I am just waiting for my gunsmith to finish a couple of my other projects so I can take my donor rifle in for him to complete the 6.5 PRC build.
Starting off with a LH Browning X Micro Bolt Hunter that is currently chambered to 270 WSM.
Have already paid for the Wilson 24" carbon fibre barrel in 6.5 PRC.
Have also bought the 6.5 PRC X Bolt magazines (6.5 PRC neck is different and the 270 WSM mag will not take the PRC cartridge).
Going to stick with the X Bolt trigger for now...very happy with the one on my 6.5 CM.
Will need to find a new stock for longer LOP. Had ordered and paid a deposit last year a LH X Bolt Hunter stock from Browning, that was supposed to be in stock, but now they are telling me that it wasn't the right stock and they cannot get me one??? Will need to find a different option...just really like the design and feel of the X Bolt stock.
Already have the Talley lightweight ring/base combo for the rifle.
Have the Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44 w/ B&C reticle.
I plan to be using the 140 gr AB's or SGK's in my rifle. To start with, I do have ammunition; Hdy 143 gr ELD-X and Sako 140 gr SGK.

Great rifle! I’ve came close to buying a 6.5 PRC a couple times but just didn’t. It’s an outstanding cartridge for work both near and far.

What velocity are you getting with those Hammers? Have you shot any game with them?
I’m getting 3210fps and have killed 8 animals with it now. Each time with an exit and quick recovery. In each case the lungs were basically non existent, Everything forward of the diaphragm pours out like a soup during dressing.

Attachments

• CA48E3D7-F88D-4E5F-B7E7-A0006CC9BAA9.jpeg
    CA48E3D7-F88D-4E5F-B7E7-A0006CC9BAA9.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
Nice to hear someone getting good accuracy with the LRAB!
What scope did you mount?
What is the finished weight of the scoped rifle pkg?

I am just waiting for my gunsmith to finish a couple of my other projects so I can take my donor rifle in for him to complete the 6.5 PRC build.
Starting off with a LH Browning X Micro Bolt Hunter that is currently chambered to 270 WSM.
Have already paid for the Wilson 24" carbon fibre barrel in 6.5 PRC.
Have also bought the 6.5 PRC X Bolt magazines (6.5 PRC neck is different and the 270 WSM mag will not take the PRC cartridge).
Going to stick with the X Bolt trigger for now...very happy with the one on my 6.5 CM.
Will need to find a new stock for longer LOP. Had ordered and paid a deposit last year a LH X Bolt Hunter stock from Browning, that was supposed to be in stock, but now they are telling me that it wasn't the right stock and they cannot get me one??? Will need to find a different option...just really like the design and feel of the X Bolt stock.
Already have the Talley lightweight ring/base combo for the rifle.
Have the Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44 w/ B&C reticle.
I plan to be using the 140 gr AB's or SGK's in my rifle. To start with, I do have ammunition; Hdy 143 gr ELD-X and Sako 140 gr SGK.
Thanks! Installed VX-3HD CDS 3-10x40 with firedog (love it) Final is 7.6 lbs. The ABLR have definitely tested my skills to get them to shoot...had same issues with 212 ELD-X in my 300 PRC. Once I found the seating depth node, they finally came together.
Have fun with your rifle project! Sounds like it will be a great one.

Very nice, one of my favorite cartridges. I know it's harder to find than unicorn feathers, but Reloder 23 with the 142 ABLR was an awesome combination in mine.

Just got back from shooting some test loads. H1000@ 58 grains is turning out to be the load for this gun (only powder I have to try). It's shooting an average of 2943 fps with the 142 grain ABLR (new barrel and will probably speed up after full break in)....grouping in the .60 MOA area @100 yards. Final seating depth with best node is .055" off lands. ES&SD deviation is in the single digits. I did some testing on primers with identical loads and did see some differences in accuracy/velocity. The CCI 200 primers were better than the Federal 215 primers...just wanted to try since I have many more 215 primers than 200 in my inventory.

Just got back from shooting some test loads. H1000@ 58 grains is turning out to be the load for this gun (only powder I have to try). It's shooting an average of 2943 fps with the 142 grain ABLR (new barrel and will probably speed up after full break in)....grouping in the .60 MOA area @100 yards. Final seating depth with best node is .055" off lands. ES&SD deviation is in the single digits. I did some testing on primers with identical loads and did see some differences in accuracy/velocity. The CCI 200 primers were better than the Federal 215 primers...just wanted to try since I have many more 215 primers than 200 in my inventory.
That is some great load development and shooting. Congratulations on your acquisition and your loading and shooting skills.

I have two, both Tikkas, a T3x light barrel and a Super Varmint heavy barrel. I have killed several deer using handloads with the 147 ELD-M and factory loads using the 143 ELD-X. It has rapidly become one of my favorite rounds for accuracy and performance on deer.

As was already stated, if you see a spot where someone picked a unicorn clean and you find the feathers, look under them for Reloder 23 because it is fantastic in a PRC.

Ron

Back