Elk with 150 grain ABLR (280 Rem)

Congrats Mike. They seem to taste better the harder you work for them. Enjoy it all winter.

Mike

Are you getting the same speeds with other 150 gr bullets or just the ABLR?
My 280 AI is pushing the 150 gr PT at 3015 and the ABLR at 3100 with the same load, 61.0 grs RL22. I could push harder but accuracy is exceptional. I'm thinking that the ABLR is a faster bullet due to less bearing surface.

JD338

Mike, very well done buddy! :grin: ..Nice bull for sure! Congrats, that bull well be good eating for sure, Lou

Jim,

The 150 ABLR is running between 75 and 125 fps faster than a 150 g. PT in this particular rifle. I haven't tried this in my other 280, though I may do so before long.

DrMike":3nxzfqa1 said:
Jim,

The 150 ABLR is running between 75 and 125 fps faster than a 150 g. PT in this particular rifle. I haven't tried this in my other 280, though I may do so before long.

I am just at 3150 outta my 270WSM with the 150's and I don't seem to leaning too hard on it at all. I would like to try the 150 ABLR over my old load of 66 grains of RL22 to compare. Those run 3100 with the 150 PT. Might be worth it, just to see if there are any gains. They do seem slick.

+1 on your story writing abilities! I would certainly by a book. But, if not for us, write your hunting tales for your grandchildren and their children. Your stories are always an excellent and entertaining read.

runtohunt":1ue58rqv said:
+1 on your story writing abilities! I would certainly by a book. But, if not for us, write your hunting tales for your grandchildren and their children. Your stories are always an excellent and entertaining read.

Good point. I do need to leave a heritage to them that they can pass on.

DrMike":3651e8gz said:
runtohunt":3651e8gz said:

Good point. I do need to leave a heritage to them that they can pass on.

They will always be welcome around my campfire Mike. I'll tell them stories of how you ran me, as a young Marine dry with buying up Model 70's! :twisted:

You can't tell them such a tale. Hey, you still lack a 325 WSM! :mrgreen:

DrMike":31dwl678 said:
You can't tell them such a tale. Hey, you still lack a 325 WSM! :mrgreen:

They will be my stories Mike. I can tell them like I want! :lol:

Trust me, that young Noah is going to run his friend's ear's into submission after spending so much time with his Gramp's!

SJB358":ugivgv9c said:
Trust me, that young Noah is going to run his friend's ear's into submission after spending so much time with his Gramp's!

It's already happening. He's singing the "moose" song (the one that has to be sung if you are going to drop a moose) and the grouse song (the one that must be sung if you are going to bag a grouse) and the bear song (the one ... well, you get the idea). :grin: He learned a lot in a very concentrated manner. He was receiving in a flood what I have received as mist over many years.

...maybe the "Cultural Shock Therapy" is a good thing, Dr. Mike. I didn't realize the value of the lessons & gifts I was given until I started dealing w/ people who hadn't "grown up out there". Dawned on me that knowledge I thought was instinctual was actually passed down thru anecdotes & demonstrations, lessons I didn't even know I was getting...

That was a great story Mike, really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing. The pictures even looked good.

Corey

DrMike another successful elk season. I am glad that you finally got to shoot something with the .280 Rem. I was beginning to think that rifle had bad chi or something.

Charlie,

My other .280 (Winchester Featherweight) has accounted for more than its share of deer. This one, however, did seem to accompany me at the wrong time. Nothing taken for two years whenever I carried it. I do have a couple of other rifles that fall into that same category. I'll have to rectify that situation.

I want to get my 3-15x42 BR5 Conquest and start working with it against the 3.5-10x44 Conquest and the Swarovski 4-12x50 scopes just for fun and see what we have.

Way to get the job done Mike. Congratulations on a very nice looking bull.

Bill

Back