Elk with 150 grain ABLR (280 Rem)

Thank you, Bill. I'm certain he will be an enjoyable companion for dinner all year long. :grin:

DrMike":3k0yov0v said:
Thank you, Bill. I'm certain he will be an enjoyable companion for dinner all year long. :grin:

That you can be sure of.

Doc, great story and congrats! Any advice for jump on the 150 ABLR in my 280AI? I'm be becoming really fond of that Kimber and the way she carries!
Joe

EOD Diver":s0bp29px said:
Any advice for jump on the 150 ABLR in my 280AI? I'm be becoming really fond of that Kimber and the way she carries!
Joe

I started (and ended) at 0.050 inches off the lands. I would imagine something similar would work fine in your Kimber. The Kimbers are certainly handsome rifles, and I believe you are correct in stating that they carry well.

Doc,
Thanks for the advice on proper jump on these the new ABLRs. After securing some RL22 and some primers, I'm excited to get started handloading again, after bringing my press back from NM. Like everyone else, I'm hoping that you'll pick up the pen eventually to further detail some of your hunting exploits.
Your Pal,
Joe

Thanks, Joe. My trusty native guide, Gil, smiled when I asked about writing. He accused me of being Pinocchio in my stories when I speak of him. :twisted: He's just irate because I'm telling it like it is. :grin:

Joe

I am loading my 280 AI with the 150 gr ABLR and 61.0 grs RL22 for 3100 fps.

JD338

The weather has finally cooled somewhat. Moose, black bear and whitetail are on the menu today. I'm carrying my 9.3X64 as I haven't been able to get to the range to verify my zero since I shot the elk. I'm stealing time this morning to harass some of the local forest denizens.

Guys,
Thanks for the heads up on your 280AI loads. I loaded some last night to magazine length for my Kimber 84L, but like a dope forgot to leave one unsized so I could figure out my bullet jump. Guess I'm a little rusty after finally getting my press up to WA and an 8 month deployment. At work now, but I think Nosler 7 said I could go up to 61.5 of RL22. That said, I loaded the ladder from 60-62 in 0.5 grain increments. That 61.5 and 62 load seemed pretty compressed, but I guess we'll see. From everything I'm hearing, the smaller bearing surface on the ABLRs seems to make 'em pretty quick when compared to the older ABs. Now I just need to find a range!

BT

Doc,
Good luck and go get 'em!

Joe

Congratulations on a fine elk.

That's a great story you wrote and I enjoyed the pictures as they add a lot to the story and helps one to better see and feel the experience. Thank you sir and best to you, Noah, and Jason.

Dr. Mike,
Congrats on the fine Elk you got. Elk just tremble at the mere mention of a Remington Rifle. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: The 280 did a fine job.

Don

Well, I verified that there was no bullet recovered from this fine young bull. We butchered this afternoon. The shot did hit the spine in the neck. Lucky shot, I guess. Consequently, the flavour of this meat is excellent. We had a fine meal of roasted root veggies and rib eye steak this evening. The meat was succulent, seasoned to perfection and not overcooked. It was washed down with a can of Coca Cola (2013). Tomorrow evening, it will be another meal to match this.

Good deal Mike. Sounds like a score to me! Way to go.

That Elk Ribeye sounds pretty danged good!

They were excellent, Scotty. I'll take "lucky" any day. I suspected that my scope could be off and I hadn't had opportunity to rezero. Thus, I was determined to allow this bad boy to get close, which I did. It worked out well.

DrMike":3l7sylh5 said:
They were excellent, Scotty. I'll take "lucky" any day. I suspected that my scope could be off and I hadn't had opportunity to rezero. Thus, I was determined to allow this bad boy to get close, which I did. It worked out well.

Same here Mike. I'll take lucky myself!

Did the bullet go on through Mike or just wasn't recovered in the bone?

It was a complete pass through, which is not surprising as the shot was ~75 yards. Muzzle velocity for that load is 3030 fps, so it was a pretty good impact. I'll get out to the range next week to clean up the scope and get it ready to look for a moose.

Nice! That is very encouraging Mike. At least to me. That is heavy muscle and bone in that area, so that bullet taking that hit at near muzzle velocity says alot to me.

Hoping you can take a moose with one as well Mike. I am betting you'll find a bullet. Should be a tasty test too!

Back