Even veterans make mistakes

Not an experience that I would recommend for anyone or would want to repeat. Too scary! A friend had an extractor inserted into his neck right by the Jugular vein when he fired a 8mm Mauser cartridge in a .30-8mm. I did not think it would chamber but it did, blew the surplus Mauser up and nearly killed him. He was 83 years old when this happened and died of prostate cancer two years later.

He was a WWII Veteran of the Italian (Sicily) Invasion and campaign.

FOTIS":7q9po0p3 said:
BK":7q9po0p3 said:
That one advantage of my McSwirleys.... I know that colored gun goes with that ammo...

Kurt...

You color the cases same as the McMIllan stock?

Wouldn't be a bad idea, but no. I know the .243 is in an Arctic Camo, the 7-08 is in the yellow/orange black McSwirley, and the .358 is in the light green/white.

I've been lucky..... never took 2 rifles to the range with like cases such as my 7mm-08 and 308.

But this is a warning for me not to consider such a range day. And to double check my range ammo box for unneeded passangers.

I've always felt that '$hit Happens" is a comment made by folks unwilling to admit to their own erors. Things happen for a reason....usually the bad things happen because someone was not paying attention to details. Or either too lazy or stupid to understand the difference.

It is the person who says...."well Dang... I fouled up" is the honest person, not the one who says $hit happens.

The owner of that Brownng is one lucky individual.

Years back, a buddy of my buddy showed up at a farm we hunted with a 7mmSTW he won. He pulled out a box of 7mmRM shells. When I pointed out he had the wrong ammo, he stated, "I know, the STW's are too expensive so I just shoot the 7mm Rem Mags out of it. Needless to say, I never hunted around this guy again.

My cousin was shooting two savage 99s at the range one day. He accidentally sent a 300 Savage round down the barrel of his 284. He had it Magnafluxed and there was no damage. However, he has never shot the gun since.

My brother in law had a Winchester 670 in 30/06. I loaded him several rounds with 165gr Ballistic Tips. He was using a laser bore sighter and forgot to remove the pilot before he fired a round. Here is the result.

IMG_0253.jpg

Been thee and done that. :shock: I definitely had my head in a warm dark place that day. I was in a bit of a hurry sighting in two rifles for an upcoming deer hunt. I even was using (Horrors) factory ammo. :shock: :shock: :shock: Rifle #1 was a Winchester Youth Ranger restocked with a Ramline stock in .308 Win. and Rifle #2 was a commercial FN Mauser in 30-06. Ammo was 180 gr. Winchester Power points. Both ammo types ere on the bench. Somehow, and there's that warm dark place rising up to greet me, I chambered a .308 round in the 30-06, not once but two times. :shock: Two things of interest, one that was the funniest looking brass you ever saw, neckless 30-06's and amazingly the two shots were in the group which was 1.25".
That brings up another interesting point. I was comparing velocities from the two rounds that same day and the .308s were just as fast as the 30-06 or should I say the 30-06's were as slow as the .308. :?: :?: :?: :?:
Now, I only have one box of ammo on the bench when I'm shooting. When I switch rifles, the ammo goes in the shooting box and the new rounds are placed on the bench. All I can say is I'm glad I wasn't shooting my .358 Win. that day. Things might have gotten really interesting.
Lesson learned? be careful and pay attention.
Paul B.

Accidents does happen all the time. I am sure many pushrods have been "pushed" out of a muzzleloader darting an object with or no succes over several 100 years.

I imagine he got a little more than he bargined for on that one. Also reminds me of the A-Bolt I owned. Stock cracked in the same spot not as severe and mine was just a hairline. Also it reminds me of my dad telling stories and my grandpa telling stories about my grandpa going to a gun range in Utah where they had built a proof shelter and tested guns with a string on the trigger going throw a cinder block wall with one removable brick. My grandpa, P.O. Ackley, Rocky Gibbs, and Fred Huntington did a lot of testing there. They tried all kinds of things. Different ammo than the chamber all kinds of stuff that was a bad idea. Needless to say my gramps always swore the strongest action ever built was an 03-A3 Springfield. Now that I've built a couple I wish he was here so I could share them with him. If he was I'd probably have a 280 Gibbs instead of a 280AI.

glock3540":3c258jko said:
.......My brother in law had a Winchester 670 in 30/06. I loaded him several rounds with 165gr Ballistic Tips. He was using a laser bore sighter and forgot to remove the pilot before he fired a round. Here is the result.

IMG_0253.jpg

You have to check your bore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofwo02lHr7w

That video has been around for awhile. It is amazing that the shot was caught on video! It would certainly get your attention.

Good lesson for all. Thanks for posting that.

Accidents creep up on us with little warning. Stay alert & alive!

Yup! it happened to my friend Frank. I left him alone in the range by himself sighting his 257 and 300 Weatherby. What did he do, he chambered the 257 into his 300. The result was a funny looking fireformed brass.

Picture171.jpg

Back