Expansion, Penetration, Velocity, Energy

2900-3000fps for a 180pt....funny....I seem to be familiar with those ballistics. ;)

Sounds like my 300's are in fine shape, then. Cool...thanks for the info. I just need an elk to point one of those rifles at, now....

And as for botched shots. Yeah, um...about that....

SJB358":1r7q1xq5 said:
truck driver":1r7q1xq5 said:
Scotty are those North Fork bullets any better than the Nosler Partition in .358 225gr?

Better is relative. I don't think so, I think the NF's would probably make a little bigger wound channel but you'd have to kill a whole lot of animals to probably tell the difference.

Mike, I don't mind admitting fault, a fella who hasn't botched a shot or two probably hasn't done a whole lot of hunting. It's all in the odds. :lol:

Oh, yeah, I have my share of less than perfect shots. :roll:

From my experience elk epitomize a basic rule of physics: a body in motion tends to stay in motion. I've seen quite a few lunged elk, maybe jump a little walk or jog a little and lay down. Seen quite a few that were already alerted go a long ways.
If I can set it up, I'll try to shoot through to the far shoulder because I'd rather anchor them then add another day to my pack out.
But yes any good bullet delivered through the slats will kill an elk.
I've seen three killed with a .25-06/120 gr partitions in the last three years. Shoulder lungs dropped and took a finisher, heart lungs ran like hell for a hundred yards or so and fell over, very dead.
Liver lungs, took a few more poorly placed shots until it was out of range, recovered a short time later.
I really don't get too excited one way or the other if folks prefer hitting them on or just behind the shoulder, both work. I worry about the unintended occurrence, a little aiming error, a little move and a bullet that would have worked fine through the slats hits the shoulder. Saw that happen this year in our group a Berger at close range right on the ball joint. The bull died overnight way down the canyon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From my experience elk epitomize a basic rule of physics: a body in motion tends to stay in motion. I've seen quite a few lunged elk, maybe jump a little walk or jog a little and lay down. Seen quite a few that were already alerted go a long ways.
If I can set it up, I'll try to shoot through to the far shoulder because I'd rather anchor them then add another day to my pack out.
But yes any good bullet delivered through the slats will kill an elk.
I've seen three killed with a .25-06/120 gr partitions in the last three years. Shoulder lungs dropped and took a finisher, heart lungs ran like hell for a hundred yards or so and fell over, very dead.
Liver lungs, took a few more poorly placed shots until it was out of range, recovered a short time later.
I really don't get too excited one way or the other if folks prefer hitting them on or just behind the shoulder, both work. I worry about the unintended occurrence, a little aiming error, a little move and a bullet that would have worked fine through the slats hits the shoulder. Saw that happen this year in our group a Berger at close range right on the ball joint. The bull died overnight way down the canyon.

A lot of Elk talk, which has been a great info exchange....but where are the Yogi guys on this one?

Probably catch heck here but I'll take out the shoulder on a bear every time I can. If I have the angle to take the shoulder into the vitals or through the vitals to the off shoulder, that's my shot. The leaks on them don't seem to show up as well for tracking. Limited sampling on that from me though.

Same here Dewey. I shoot them all the same way which is whatever way they'll stand and I can thread the bullet into em to make them more skinable... :lol:

Trying to get the hide of when they are kicking and jerking can be tiresome :shock:

Always thought it wise to limit the mobility of something that might bite.

Growing up in Pennsylvania and deer hunting with my Dad, Uncles and cousins there were a variety
of rifles used that had no trouble killing deer. Dad used a custom 8mm Mauser, Uncle 30-06, one cousin had a 32 Special, 243 Winchester was present too. One older gentleman I knew when I was 12-yrs old had a 300 Savage, also the 35 Remington and 30-30 were used by other friends. I witnessed deer killed by all these mentioned with no problems. My family knew of one particular hunter that used a 222 Remington with 50 grain bullets to kill his buck every year, all with one shot!!

Guy hit the nail on the head with bullet placement. Given bullet placement with a bullet that expands well, most game will not make it to far before expiring.

Don

Salmon Chaser makes a good point. My experience with others shooting at running or scared antelope....If they were running they could seemingly keep running when shot to pieces. (idiots chased 'em with the truck). Trust me those goats STUNK when gutted, so full of adrenaline they weren't fit to eat. Dad and I were not part of that circus but we never went back that ranch again. Dosent matter what cannon you are using, adrenaline will carry a long ways. I imagine that is particularly so with elk. They are a big critter with long legs. CL

Back