Expected Accuracy for Nosler 165 gr Partition

Guy Miner":16cb1spx said:
Old Trader - what would you recommend for a 165 gr load for the WSM?

I think we're both running on the same track! I'm going to load up some stuff this weekend for the 300WSM and 165's.

I worked up to 69.0 grains of IMR 4350 with a CCI BR-2 primer in W-W brass. Velocity was about 3160 fps. I am sure that some of the guys have Reloader powder loads for this as well.

Thanks OT, I haven't worked much with the 165's. Mostly just settled in with heavier bullets and the WSM, but in reality a good 165 will do most anything I need to do with a rifle.

Guy Miner":gdfi3cqd said:
Thanks OT, I haven't worked much with the 165's. Mostly just settled in with heavier bullets and the WSM, but in reality a good 165 will do most anything I need to do with a rifle.

Guy, I tried IMR4350 at right around 66.5 grains in my buddies rifle with the 165 AB's. I started to get shiny spots. Speed was right at 3100 though. Accuracy was decent too.

The one we picked from yesterday was 67gr of Hybrid 100V with the 165 AB. Runs about 3125 or so. Accuracy was good from a new rifle and a new shooter.

8F1CE23A.jpg

I am pretty sure the load is good as a second set of three was a little tighter, but we lost the target. The numbers look good on them as well.

I would think the PT's would work really well right in that range too. Good luck.

Guy Miner":3u0i4t7j said:
338winmag, I gotta tell you, with the .308 Win all the load development I did with the 165 Nosler Partition was to seat it at magazine length over my standard load: 45 grains of Varget. I use that with all my 165 & 168 gr bullets. Sometimes I hop it up a little, just for the heck of it.

Also - in a .30-06, H4350 is terrific with the 165's!

Yeah, in a .300 mag, I'd go with the 180, or even a 200. Particularly for elk. Just because.

Guy

Just out of curiosity, what sort of velocity were you seeing using the 165g Partition/45g of Varget combo? (And what barrel length if I might ask)

I hope my 30-06 7600 pump likes them. I just bought 3 boxes.

"Just out of curiosity, what sort of velocity were you seeing using the 165g Partition/45g of Varget combo? (And what barrel length if I might ask)"

AzDak42, matter of fact I just had the .308 out at the range a couple of weeks ago, with my chronograph. My rifle has a 24" Krieger barrel:

165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip 45.0 Varget, Federal case, CCIBR2 = 2751 fps

The Partition bullets produced very similar velocity the last time I checked them several years ago.

Depending on the case, and the exact powder charge, I get somewhere between 2700 - 2800 fps with all my 165/168 grain loads, using 45 - 46 grains of Varget. These are warmish loads, but still okay according to Hodgdon. Also okay w/Nosler's data last time I checked. Never had a problem with them, but I'd still recommend working up.

Guy Miner":fidkassp said:
"Just out of curiosity, what sort of velocity were you seeing using the 165g Partition/45g of Varget combo? (And what barrel length if I might ask)"

AzDak42, matter of fact I just had the .308 out at the range a couple of weeks ago, with my chronograph. My rifle has a 24" Krieger barrel:

165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip 45.0 Varget, Federal case, CCIBR2 = 2751 fps

The Partition bullets produced very similar velocity the last time I checked them several years ago.

Depending on the case, and the exact powder charge, I get somewhere between 2700 - 2800 fps with all my 165/168 grain loads, using 45 - 46 grains of Varget. These are warmish loads, but still okay according to Hodgdon. Also okay w/Nosler's data last time I checked. Never had a problem with them, but I'd still recommend working up.

I would like to give that a whirl with the 308. Be nice to have a good all arounder load for the 308. The 165 PT or AB would be about as good as it could get I think.

Guy, have you ran RL15 with the same bullets?

Back