eye relief questions

JDMAG

Handloader
Aug 15, 2006
I am thinking of getting a ruger Frontier rifle for my son. This rifle seems to have the scope mounted in front of the receiver. Does this require a long eye relief scope or will a normal eye relief scope be sufficient? if a long eye relief is required what are you suggestions for a moderately priced ($250.00) scope.
Thanks,
JDMAG

JDMAG,

Yes, a Scout mount will require a longer eye relief scope. Most scopes offer 3-4" of eye relief.

JD338

i thought on the frontier rifles you had the option to mout it in the front OR the back............could be wrong though, would have to look at one again.

yup front or rear for thes cope
url]

but 16.5" barrel???????

Not for me...sorry :cry:

JDMAG":15eh40y7 said:
I am thinking of getting a ruger Frontier rifle for my son. This rifle seems to have the scope mounted in front of the receiver. Does this require a long eye relief scope or will a normal eye relief scope be sufficient? if a long eye relief is required what are you suggestions for a moderately priced ($250.00) scope.
Thanks,
JDMAG
..................I myself have the 300 WSM Frontier and love it. That`ll be a great rifle for your son. There is no better handling bolt rifle quite like the Frontier.

With this rifle, you can either scope it conventionally over the receiver or mount an EER scout scope on the barrel. Great versatility. I do both!

A scout scope does require a longer eye relief or an extended eye relief (EER).

There are really only three great quality scout scopes to choose from;

The Burris scout 2.75x fixed,,,,,,,,,,the Leupold FX2 scout 2.5x fixed,,,,,,,,and the Nikon Monarch UCC EER 2.5-8x28.

For my 300, I chose the latter Nikon variable because my 300 WSM from its shorter 16.5" barrel, ballistically exceeds the performance of a 26" tubed 30-06, making it a very fine long range elk shooter well beyond 300 yards if needed.

Since Ruger discontinued the 300 WSM in the Frontier nearly 2 years ago, for patent and legal issues, I take it that you will be getting either the 243, 7mm/08, 308 Win., 338 Fed., or the 358 Win. According to my Ruger catalog, that is what is now available.

Either of the two fixed scouts from Burris or Leupold will be sufficient for deer sized game out to 250-300 yards. The Burris sells for around $200 give or take a few bucks and the Leupold sells for around $279. Without over-scoping, either one is an excellent choice and would be about right for all the cartridges offered in the Frontier. No need for the variable Nikon.

Advantages of the scouts are; First; they allow for both eyes open target acquisition and aiming, making them very fast to the target, moving or otherwise.... Secondly; there is no scope over the receiver for easier access to the action....Thirdly; No need to ever worry about getting scope whacked due to recoil from any shooting position.... Fourth; Rifle can be easily carried with the hand palm over the action with good balance.....Fifth; Scout scopes are generally lighter.

Disadvantage; Lack of FOV when looking thru the scope itself. However, because the non-aiming eye can remain open with no squinting, the shooter`s FOV is widened and the signals to the brain for reaction time remains quick.

If you decide to use a conventionally mounted scope, you can also get one which has the same fast acquiring, fast aiming and the same both eyes open advantages as the scouts. They include the Leupold VX2 1-4x20 for $299,,,,Leupold VX3 1.5-5x20 @ $399 (mine),,,,,Leupold 2.5x FX2 fixed (non scout) @ around $269,,,,Burris Fullfield 2.5x fixed @ around $180 or so. Though these mount conventionally over the receiver, you gain a much wider FOV with these than the scouts. So there is a trade-off between having a wider FOV conventional mount vs a barrel mounted scout with a narrower FOV.

Shouldering speed, very fast handling and great speed to the target are the compact Frontier`s best attributes and was designed as such. Scout scope or conventional, stay with a quick scope. Either way, your son will love the Frontier.... :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

JD Mag..........On another note. Don`t be fooled or under-estimate the Frontier`s velocity performance from its shorty 16.5" tube.

Regardless of whatever cartridge you choose, the over-all difference in velocity loss vs a 24" barrel in the same cartridge, given the same powder charges and components, is only 3.5% to 4.5%, as was in my case. Modern day powders allow this to occur.

As my chrony experiments have shown, comparing my 16.5" vs two 24" 300 WSMs using the same identical loadings, you can expect a velocity reduction of 15 to 30 fps (per inch) of reduced barrel length.

This was also confirmed by the chrony findings of Dick Metcalf in his article about the 7mm/08 Frontier, now at "shootingtimes.com" under the "rifle" or "long gun" section entitled "Short Answer About Scout Styled Rifles."..........Using the same 7mm/08 factory ammo, the over-all velocity difference between a 24" vs his test Frontier`s 16.5" tube, was 4.5%.

Whatever game you hunt, they in all possible reality, won`t know the difference upon impact.

I personally, will gladly give up a small percentage in velocity and gain much more in other areas, such as speed to the target, more compact size, handling/manuverability, carrying ease, packing etc. And when your son grows bigger, it will still be a fun compact to shoot. I`m 6'3" @ 240 lbs. and its still a perfect size for me as is my larger 20" .375 Ruger Alaskan.

Like I stated before, don`t be fooled, talked out of, or under-estimate this compact`s performance.

Thanks for the info! I think my son made up my mind today when he picked out his own rifle. Tikka T-3 Lite!

The T3 will be a good rifle for your son. My friend who has one has had no complaints with his. They are a very good shooter. :wink:

Back